PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

June 2017 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• allmannerofthings
    allmannerofthings Posts: 111 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 31 May 2017 at 1:35PM
    I just read your post over in May and I was wondering if you had read some of the tips at the beginning of each month - they date back some years but the advice remains sound. One of the suggestions is that you aim to reduce by around £50 a month so you don't get demoralised if you don't hit your target. It took me over three years to get mine down to 1/3rd of my starting amount and I confess I thought I knew best. Really reading and following other super-saver's tips is a great way to learn. Putting what you've learned into practice and sticking to it - now that's another skill set entirely.

Good luck with June

Thank you, Suffolk Lass! I keep meaning to read through the tips in detail, although I have skimmed through a bit. The annoying thing is I have done this before - when I was a single parent on benefits for a time I was very frugal. I think I find it difficult to apply those principles when I don't actually have to - although of course I want to, so I can save money that I can apply to something else - like overpaying the mortgage, or home improvements.

We'll definitely be reducing our takeaway spend, which was really high in May. I stayed within target for supermarket shopping, we just spent nearly as much again on takeaways and treats
    :eek: Writing it all down has been SO helpful, to get an accurate picture. I hope to get our spend a lot lower in time, but as you say Suffolk Lass, a bit at a time :)
  • Orworse
    Orworse Posts: 3 Newbie
    Hi,

This is my first post on the forum, so hopefully I'll get this right.

My month will run from Sunday 28th May til 2nd July (5 weeks).
    Budget is £240

This is for me, two dogs and a cat for the first two weeks and then adding in one other adult for the last three.
    For all food and toiletries.

I have never budgeted before so wish me luck!

Week 1 : Tesco : £17.37
  • PennyGrabber
    PennyGrabber Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Hello and welcome Orworse! Everyone here is really helpful and there are no stupid questions, so ask away!!

PG x
    Grocery challenge for family of three - me, dd(12) and ds(11), feeding dp 2 or 3 x a week too. Only food, not toiletries. Jan £87.97/£100 Feb £0/£100
    Frugal 2018 needed! Saving and NOT spending
  • FoxFace
    FoxFace Posts: 362 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Combo Breaker Photogenic
    Orworse wrote: »
    Hi,

This is my first post on the forum, so hopefully I'll get this right.

My month will run from Sunday 28th May til 2nd July (5 weeks).
    Budget is £240

This is for me, two dogs and a cat for the first two weeks and then adding in one other adult for the last three.
    For all food and toiletries.

I have never budgeted before so wish me luck!

Week 1 : Tesco : £17.37

Welcome to the forum Orworse :) Make yourself comfortable and if you need any help or advice please do ask!

~

Today is another NSD for me! Work was a bit of a drag today, so between my main shift and my overtime I went for a walk in town in the sunshine. Went to the bank and got out my personal spending budget and managed to not spend any of it :A

Got a little thirsty half way around and was worrying I would have to spend some of my money... but then I realised I was outside C0sta and had my points card... haven't used it for ages, but nipped in and had enough points for a free cold drink... yay for free stuff :money:

Lunch was the leftover hummus (like, this is a regular occurence here) on sandwiches... for dinner this evening I just did pasta, so no recipe today unfortunately. T3sco do a lovely tin of vegetarian bolognese, that happens to be vegan, so a couple of tins of that over some wholewheat pasta, cheap, healthy and quick :D
    Debt Free Journey started 21.05.2017
  • thriftwizard
    thriftwizard Posts: 4,663 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Well, not too sure whether I should sit this one out or not, having gone somewhat over target last month. But I'll have a go... please can I aim at £500 this month? That's for 4 adults and 2 teenage guests, who are with us for half of the month, plus 3 cats, 2 cockatiels and 11 chickens, and any stray Offspring who may happen to return.
    Angie - GC April 24 £367.67/£480: 2024 Fashion on the Ration Challenge: 10/68: (Money's just a substitute for time & talent...)
  • Florence_J
    Florence_J Posts: 1,942 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Just done my Morrisons and Tesco online orders, that's over half our budget gone but we needed a lot of stuff and managed to get some good deals on delivery costs.

I will do a food plan for the month to make sure our further costs are minimal.
    Debt Free Stage 1 - Completed 27/08/2020
    Debt Free Stage 2 - Completed 50/181 Payments
  • Art_Deco
    Art_Deco Posts: 188 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic
    edited 31 May 2017 at 9:39PM
    :o Thanks again everyone nearly made it this month but not quite,can i be put down again for 380 again please.
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Maybe setting myself up for a fall here - will be Skinty McSkintface in June
    So am setting a budget of £250
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • June! Hello!

Ok, $900 turned out a bit ambitious, $1000 is easy now, so I'm going to split the difference and go for $950 this time around.

I thought my ultimate aim was around $200/week, so $800-$850, but I was talking to the one friend I have who actually achieves that, and...that's too far for me. Her family eats meat only once a week and it's something like chicken drumsticks, and there are nights where they just eat eggs on toast, and that's great and it works for them but if that's what it takes I'm just not going to get there. We do now have two vegetarian meals a week and at least one more which is very low meat, or tinned tuna, or something, and that feels like real progress.
    I'm $200 a week and I have a good store cupboard, we eat meat with almost every meal. We used to be really bad for throwing food away whereas now hubby and I make sure it gets eaten or we freeze up meals for his smoko
    I used to be around $300 - $340 :eek:
    Now I cant believe we used to spend that much
    Love people use things. The opposite never works.
  • I'm $200 a week and I have a good store cupboard, we eat meat with almost every meal. We used to be really bad for throwing food away whereas now hubby and I make sure it gets eaten or we freeze up meals for his smoko
    I used to be around $300 - $340 :eek:
    Now I cant believe we used to spend that much

I'd love to know how you manage it, Amanda! I'm making every meal for all four of us out of our budget; Mr Expert and I both take lunch rather than buy it, and the girls have packed lunches of course. I shop at Aldi as much as possible, I buy meat at the butcher which is better quality and about the same price, I do my vegetable shopping at the grocer's and change meal plans if I find bargains, we have veg meals at least twice a week, I try and bake for school lunches where possible, and the meat I buy tends to be cheap cuts. This week I bought 500g lamb mince for a moussaka with homegrown eggplant, a roasting chicken that will do for two meals and some sausages. I put pulses in a lot of things, so I bulk out bolognese with red lentils, make cuban pork with black beans, make lamb stew with leftover roasts and add pearl barley...

I do still buy occasional treats, like I buy muesli bars for lunches, a 2L bottle of Coke once a week and a bottle of nice cordial, and Mr Expert buys us a bag of crisps to share maybe once a fortnight, but that's not accounting for the extra $200 on its own!

If anything above jumps out at you that I could improve I would be super, super grateful.
    MFW diary here. 1 Feb 2017 $229,371 - MFD Feb 2043 :eek: aiming for May 2028
    14 August 2017 - Refinanced: $220,000
    January 2019 $211,580 Current MFD 31 June 2036
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family