distilled further

problem: pc required asap

solution: take dad to currys, ask them what they've got for £350, buy one
    Don't you dare criticise what you cannot understand
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    Options
    Jo4 wrote: »
    They will want to be able to plug in their external floppy disk drive because some of their music toys still uses floppy disk drives.

-As you can tell from the mention of floppy disk drives the person does not like change - they do not like anything other than a desktop - no laptops, tablets, etc.

'Music Toys'.... What are they? Will they even work on windows 10? Can they be put on usb, but some software has drive letters and paths hard coded? If he save music, will it save to usb?
  • NiftyDigits
    NiftyDigits Posts: 10,459 Forumite
    Options
    The RAM was upgraded from 1GB to 2GB but the computer is really slow. The fan is constantly on for some reason. Don't know if it has been cleaned since the extra RAM was put in which was in the last 2 years - which obviously would not be helping.

Yes...cos the CPU and mechanical hard drive combo isn't the best. A clean install of the OS would help, but the combination of CPU upgrade, move to 4GB and clean install will really make a difference. The addition of a solid state drive the icing on the cake.

Unlikely you'll get it all done within a week because of delivery times.

I've given my recommendation for a new machine. It already has an SSD fitted, so no need to fiddle around.

The HP that you mentioned is just poor value and a relatively poor performer.

They save money on a key component, the Central Processing Unit, so as to offer 'headline grabbing' and largely unnecessary components to assist sales people to push the unit. For sure the salespeople won't be mentioning the CPU in-store.
    That is the engine of the whole thing. It might be ok if it had an SSD fitted, but it does not.
    Leave it on the shelf. If it becomes too slow, you won't have any headroom to do anything about it, other than fitting an SSD.
    It's cheaper to offer a larger capacity mechanical hard drive, than to supply a decent CPU.

The Lenovo will be as new, but might or might not be in it's original box.

The Zoostorm has a powerful engine and a fast storage drive.

The choice is yours.
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    What "local support" would that be, DavidP24? The ability to walk into a PC World and get charged £50 + VAT for a recovery drive you should make for yourself.

Allow me remind you that this website is MoneySavingExpert.com not Can'tBeBothered.com.

The Zoostorm/ACER combo represents the best value/convenience/performance.

The HP machine is just nonsense. A Netbook CPU in a PC. Of course it will work, but why plough £350 into such an underpowered combo in the first place?
    Let's not forget that the HP monitor has a TN screen, as opposed to IPS.
    http://store.hp.com/UKStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=W3R46AT&opt=ABU&sel=MTO £92.40
    Meaning that she is paying £257 for that base unit. Really?
    Plus the PC has a relatively slow 5400RPM mechanical hard drive.
    Pushing them into paying extra for 2,000 Gigabytes of local storage space for "music and videos"(??). When for ten years they have been making do with 160 Gigabytes.....

Is this just about saving face?

Allow me to remind you of your earlier statement;
    I do prefer the N3700 at that price level

So at this price point , you would prefer the N3700 with a CPU benchmark of 1867, but you are recommending a PC to the OP with a CPU benchmark of 889.

There are so many better options, yet despite your 'offer' to post possible options for the OP, you have done nothing of the sort.

I wouldn't go for an HP in the first place.
    But even if one did, there are better options than that awfully underpowered machine.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Slimline-410-135na-Desktop-Graphics/dp/B01MRIJ0JE/ref=sr_1_3

jo9.jpg

for example. Still within budget.
  • Jo4
    Jo4 Posts: 6,819 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    were wrote: »
    'Music Toys'.... What are they? Will they even work on windows 10? Can they be put on usb, but some software has drive letters and paths hard coded? If he save music, will it save to usb?

He refers to one of them as a head and he has a few of them.

I don't know if they will work on Windows 10.

I don't know if they can be put on usb.

He saves music from computer to floppy and inserts floppy into head.
  • NiftyDigits
    Options

Which operating system is he utilising now? XP, Vista or Windows 7?
  • Jo4
    Options
    Acer K242HYL 23.8" IPS LED Monitor £89.98

Argos has the Lenovo equivalent here; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Lenovo-Celeron-8GB-2TB-1-6GHz-Windows-10-Desktop-Tower-Black-Argos-/361527040525 for £180.
    They are described as Manufacturer refurbished, but since they have already sold 555 of them, I guess they'll be in 'as new' condition.

jo6.jpg

It's better than the HP in that the processor is a fair bit better, but I'm certainly not recommending it. But if it suits.

The PC here(Zoostorm Delta Light Intel Core i3-6100 Desktop PC, 128GB SSD, 8GB, Win 10, DVD-RW) and the monitor above are just about within budget and offer a far superior specification,
    You can add a Mini USB Wifi Adapter for as little as £2.38 to add wireless capability or £6.99 for a Dual Band 802.11ac wireless adapter

Zoostorm have a Delta Micro version for £10 less, if space is at a serious premium. But it has no DVD drive and probably limited expandability.

Delta Micro

Zoostorm-Delta-Micro-Right.jpg

Delta Light

804426-783649-800.jpg

Delivery for the Zoostorm is showing as Tuesday 2nd May so it would arrive too late. Is there any other options? Is it possible to purchase a desktop in PC World or Currys - no issues then with delivery dates?
  • Jo4
    Options
    Which operating system is he utilising now? XP, Vista or Windows 7?

He is using Vista.
  • NiftyDigits
    Options
    Delivery for the Zoostorm is showing as Tuesday 2nd May so it would arrive too late. Is there any other options? Is it possible to purchase a desktop in PC World or Currys - no issues then with delivery dates?

Anything is possible, but you'll be on your own...or just with DavidP24.
    That is what cogitation does for you.

You can go for the one on Amazon and either take an Amazon Prime free trial if offered or pay a little extra for one day delivery.
    PC: https://www.amazon.co.uk/HP-Slimline-410-135na-Desktop-Graphics/dp/B01MRIJ0JE/ref=sr_1_3
    Monitor: http://www.ebuyer.com/727518-acer-k242hyl-23-8-ips-led-monitor-um-qx2ee-001
  • were
    were Posts: 632 Forumite
    edited 21 April 2017 at 11:16AM
    Options

The questing in a round about way was to find out what the toys are, then contact the "toys" manufacturer or web site to find out if there is a new version, and/or will it work in windows 10. the "toys" could be a music play, but it is also be out of date, or obsolete synthesiser interface software/hardware, or mixing software that will cost him a fortune to update.

You could be buying him a new pc which is of limited use, and value to him. Find our exactly what he needs and wants, and you can use google too.

Music.... it is a floppy disk, rather than Mini disk, as minidisk are similar size and were very popular for music and devices?

Windows does have a Compatibility Mode, but still not all software works.

Speak to him.

That Zoomstorm above say a delivery date of 25 April to my postcode. Offer to pay them extra postage. You could get it couriered yourself, but at a greater cost. All depends how much you want it to happen.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure