Report Bank Charges successes and failures

Comments

• Cj87
    Cj87 Posts: 939 Forumite
    My mum was also rejected by Halifax after reclaiming through financial hardship, and they said because of the courts ruling in their favour... what to do now? As I seen someone else was successful with halifax, so how is that treating customers fairly...
  • chmaine wrote: »
    My mum was also rejected by Halifax after reclaiming through financial hardship, and they said because of the courts ruling in their favour... what to do now? As I seen someone else was successful with halifax, so how is that treating customers fairly...

Banks are sending out generic letters of rejection not concerned with financial hardship. Write to them and ask them about your financial hardship case specifically.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • Former_MSE_Guy
    Former_MSE_Guy Posts: 1,650 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped! Newshound! Chutzpah Haggler
    edited 5 February 2010 at 1:49PM
    Well done to everyone who has reclaimed bank charges since the banks' court victory, showing it still can be done.

If you've been successful and would like to inspire others by telling your story, please get in touch with us as we are keen to run an article on this site's news pages proving bank charges reclaiming is still possible. It's also likely newspapers will be interested in such stories.

So, if you'd like to tell your story, please email [EMAIL="casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com"]casestudy@moneysavingexpert.com[/EMAIL] with the following information:

1) A brief outline of your story
    2) How much you reclaimed
    2) How much you originally asked for
    4) A daytime phone number

Many thanks,
    Guy
  • Halifax
    £4000
    Started off 2 years ago when this was first talked about by Martin- filled out templetes etc- received letter from Bank putting things on hold- hence 2 years later about jan this year received letter from Halifax re-iterating what court said and that if i HADN`T ANYOTHER PROBLEMS THEN THEY WOULD CLOSE MY PROCEDURES REGARDING OVERCHARGES if they didn`t hear from me in 8 weeks! Martin- What should we do now????????????:mad:
  • Hi
    I had same letter from Lloyds Tsb stating they will close my file after 8 wks. I simply replied stating I wasn't happy they wanted to close my case & would be talking to the Ombudsman. I then called the Ombudsman they gave me a case reference number which I then forwarded on to Lloyds Tsb. Just waiting now to see what happens. You should try the same, it will cost you a phone call & a few stamps but could be worth it in the end............

Good luck
  • Holly2
    Holly2 Posts: 6 Forumite
    I have been on hold for my reclaiming with Halifax, I received a letter last week offering me £63 - which stated it was a goodwill gesture, with the new guidelines for reclaiming, I was wondering what to do next, whether there are new template letters to refuse this gesture and carry on with the claim or whether I should accept the claim, my original claim was for in excess of £800
    Amanda
  • Help!!!
    I made a claim in May 2007
    Amount: 2600 and I did not include charges (yeah stupid)
    Bank: Natwest
    Result: Negative - I received a letter second week of January saying that they are happy with the outcome of the Supreme Court 25 November 2009, and therefore no refund will be made.
    I have 8 weeks to reply, if i dont complain the case will be closed.

What can I do? Any help and advise I would much appreciate.
    (Yes I go in overdraft every month).

Thanks in advance.
  • thanks luckylinda, after being given the runaround by the HSBC when i tried to reclaim £1700 under hardship rule id just about given up on ever getting anywhere but your post has given me the push i needed to keep going and see it through to the end
    many thanx
  • njhsmiler wrote: »
    BANK: NATWEST
    AMOUNT RECLAIMED: 12000
    AMOUNT BEING REFUNDED: 9602
    HOW LONG DID IT TAKE: OCT 2009

Very happy with the offer they offered us....

It has come at the right time as our house was flooded by sewage in Nov 09 and we can pay our debts off now and maybe treat the kids as they have had a tough time...

Many Thanks

Was this a gardship case?
  • soulcurls wrote: »
    Well I have reached the end of my reclaiming fight.

Although I am in extreme hardship at the moment with 0 income and am staying afloat only through the tremendous kindness of family and friends paying my mortgage and essential outgoings; Abbey have only paid me £500 (as a good will gesture) of the in excess of £2000 in charges I have claimed.
    I complained to the ombudsman, not that Abbey had refused to refund my charges, but that Abbey had rejected my claim of hardship due to the fact that I am not in mortgage arrears, my point being that these are not the criteria set-out by the FSA; incredibly however the Ombudsman ruled in Abbey’s favour, stating that Abbey are only obliged to treat me ‘fairly’ and within the law.

I cannot see what is fair about being told that I am not a hardship case despite being penniless and up to my proverbial in debt, because I am fighting by the skin of my teeth not to incur more charges…apparently if I were still incurring charges they would consider me a hardship case, or if I had let myself get into rent arrears or mortgage arrears…Abbey have made up their own set of guidelines for judging hardship and the Ombudsman (at least the one who looked at my case) is fine with this.

Considering my financial difficulties were so greatly exacerbated by Abbey’s £2000 worth of ridiculous charges in the first place, one would have thought that they might see fit to reward my struggle to keep from incurring more charges, but apparently my mistake has been allowing family and friends to keep my head above water…I should have just stopped struggling and let myself sink…

I am incredibly lucky that (so far) my family and friends have put their own finances at risk to help me and I feel extreme guilt and gratitude hourly…I was also very grateful for the £500 from Abbey that helped take the strain for a couple of weeks, but considering how hard I am trying to play by their rules I do feel a little cheated when I read about all of the many success stories…pleased for others but cheated never-the-less.

:(:cry::embarasse:mad::(:(:cry::cry::cry::mad::cry::cry::cry::(:(:(:mad:[BIG HUGS TO YOU,

LIKE YOU TRIED TO KEEP UP WITH THE INTEREST AND CHARGES PUT ON MY OVERDRAFTS, AFTER MY OH LOST HIS JOB IN 2006, I AM STILL WITH COLLECTIONS AT THE BANK, THEY HAVE DECINED EVERYTHING I HAVE ASKED FOR, BANK CHARGES, DECLINED, INTEREST CHARGED DECLINED, AND PAYMENT PROTECTECTION DECLINED, AND NO GOOD WILL FROM THEM AT ALL,

SENDING GOOD WILL TO YOU, :A:A:A

LIKE YOU IN HARDSHIP, AND FED UP OF ALL THE DECLINED LETTERS, AND SEEING PEOPLE ON HERE GETTING THEIR MONEY BACK, I WOULD BE OUT OF COLLECTIONS NOW, IF THEY WOULD OF STOPPED THE INTEREST AND CHARGES, BUT THEY WOULD NOT, AND THEY WON'T GIVE ANY BACK, THIS HAS INCREASED THE OVERDRAFTS DEBT AND NOT DECREASED THEM, BUT I AM HAPPY FOR ALL THE PEOPLE THAT HAVE HAD SOME OR ALL OF THEIR MONEY BACK,
    SHARON666
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure