Renault megane scenic 2003 no power in first gear.

Options
2003 megane scenic. This has happened twice now. I put car into first to pull away at a junction and feels like car in third. Car limps forward. I take it out of gear and put it back into first still the same. I crawl to a kerb turn engine off and on rev engine and put back into first and away i go as normal. Any thoughts?
It has frightened me and i am now really nervous to drive with my little girl in the car.
Much appreciated! C. GRAHAM.

Comments

• worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have you tried pulling away in the other gears? Could be a slipping clutch.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 April 2017 at 9:34AM
    Options
    Your choices are:
    Throw money at it.
    Get rid of it, and get something else.

Most likely it has gone into limp mode- the little yellow picture of an engine will come on. To find out why you need someone to read the fault codes.
    As it is fixed by turning off and on again it will be a sensor gone intermittent, but there are literally dozens to pick from.
    On one that old it may not have a simple diagnostic capability if it is a diesel, as the requirement to work with the standard code readers did not start until 2001 for petrol and 2003 for diesel.

Most cost effective is to get the codes read, and estimate how much money needs throwing at it, but tbh, if you have no confidence in the car it might be time to just get rid (but you might be buying someone else's problems...)
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • motorguy
    motorguy Posts: 22,473 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have you tried pulling away in the other gears? Could be a slipping clutch.

Switching the car off and on again wouldnt resolve a slipping clutch though would it?
  • motorguy
    Options
    2003 megane scenic. This has happened twice now. I put car into first to pull away at a junction and feels like car in third. Car limps forward. I take it out of gear and put it back into first still the same. I crawl to a kerb turn engine off and on rev engine and put back into first and away i go as normal. Any thoughts?
    It has frightened me and i am now really nervous to drive with my little girl in the car.
    Much appreciated! C. GRAHAM.

Sadly, theres no easy answer. It'll be some sensor or other and as such will need plugged in to a code reader to find it.

Have you a local mechanic who can have a look? Avoid the like of Kwik Fit or Halfrauds
  • datostar
    datostar Posts: 1,288 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Would it happen to have the 1.6VVTi petrol engine? Some of these displayed a tendency to drop revs and lurch a bit on moving off in first. Cure is to put more revs on before engaging clutch. Don't try to drive off in higher gears. That will risk stalling or burning out the clutch.
  • facade
    facade Posts: 7,030 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If it is the 1.6, the dephaser pulley starts to fail and apart from a rattling when hot, can give a lack of power and sometimes stalling. Can't see why that would fix with an ignition cycle though, unless it was enough to cause an error with the cam sensor.

The engine usually sounds more like a tractor than normal.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science ;))
  • motorguy
    Options
    facade wrote: »
    If it is the 1.6, the dephaser pulley starts to fail and apart from a rattling when hot, can give a lack of power and sometimes stalling. Can't see why that would fix with an ignition cycle though, unless it was enough to cause an error with the cam sensor.

The engine usually sounds more like a tractor than normal.

The dephaser pulley is a common fault, but as you say, it wouldnt show itself as per the symptoms shes seeing?
  • worried_jim
    worried_jim Posts: 11,631 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    motorguy wrote: »
    Switching the car off and on again wouldnt resolve a slipping clutch though would it?

D'oh.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport