Barclays Bank (merged)

Comments

• Hi Simon, if you do not want to accept it in full and final settlement then I would send them a letter accepting the money as a part payment of the full amount owed and to advise them that you still will be claiming for the full amount.
    Add it to the LBA telling them if you do not receive the full amount in 14 days you will start proceedings against them.
    Any spelling mistakes are entirely on purpose to check you're paying attention :p
  • Just been phoned by Barclays about the state of my a/c so I told the guy I was in the process of claiming back my charges and he wanted to know how so I just said direct with the bank. he was a bit nicer about the state of my a/c after that.
    :D I love my nursing necklaces. Keep babies hands occupied and you free to breastfeed in peace.
  • Larumbelle
    Larumbelle Posts: 2,140 Forumite
    Confidence - or the illusion of it - can be everything. The banks don't stop behaving like banks just because you are suing them! I'm not a naturally confident person but I have discovered that I can be, after all! I am now in the process of claiming back from three banks, three credit cards, two store cards and a catalogue, on my own behalf and for family and friends.

Things I remind myself if I lose sight or it doesn't go as easily as it could:

1. I am not doing anything wrong. I am simply asking that the bank return money that they took from me illegally.

2. The bank is not your friend. It's entire reason for being is to make money from you. It is far easier to ask for money back from an institution than a friend.

3. People on the other end of the phone, in the branch, whatever - they are just that - people. They are there to earn a living, nothing more. They do what they are told to do, say what they are told to say, and probably hate their job. They might even agree with what you are doing on a personal level. They don't deserve rudeness, shouting or accusations.

4. It doesn't matter how you ended up paying these charges in the first place. Don't dwell on it, and don't feel you have to explain it to anyone. The past is the past. This claim is the present and the money you claim back will help your future.

5. You are not alone. Thousands of people are doing it. It's fashionable. In fact, I suspect it might be the new black.

6. Sense of humour is vital. If it all gets ridiculous, laugh. Not much can happen that you won't be able to deal with. Especially with all the wonderful people on this site to help you along.

7. If life throws you lemons, make lemonade

Silver x
  • Larumbelle
    Rocky67 wrote:
    Just been phoned by Barclays about the state of my a/c so I told the guy I was in the process of claiming back my charges and he wanted to know how so I just said direct with the bank. he was a bit nicer about the state of my a/c after that.

I'll be honest - when I finally approached Barclays over the dire state of my account, the person I spoke to was sympathetic. Bit it didn't stop the charges.

However, I noticed that my account accidentally went into the red for four days last week and no charge was made funny, that.
  • So, I am unsure of what to do next. I have read all the relevant stuff, but I'm not sure that its going to work.
    Firstly I asked Barclays if they would provide me with my statements- I included the £10, they responded pretty quickly. However all statements were not there, and in the accompanying letter it said that the rest are on microfiche and that I would have to pay £3 per statement. So, someone on here told that I should send a second letter using the templates. Today I have just received their response, basically says that they have already told me I have to pay, and because it is on microfiche and not in any particualr order its "not readily accesible within the meaning of the Data Protection Act" Goes on to say that if I am not happy that I should contact the Financial Ombudsman Service.

Now I know that there is another letter I can send them, but is it worth it- they seem like they're not gonna budge on this one.
  • Anyone got any advice?
  • tazzababe wrote:
    Anyone got any advice?

quote from previous post on this thread says...

Bank statements arrived with a six month chunk missing. I called the call centre to request that they send them. Was told that they would be £5 each. Explained about my Subject Access Request. Was told that this would still be £5 each. Asked whether they really wanted action taken against them for breach of the DPA as well as everything else? Surprisingly enough, they backed down.
  • hi, i have just recieved a letter from barclays
    customer complaint acknowledgement stating that they will either phone or write to me in the next two working days with either a resolution or details of the next steps.
    what will i say if they phone up, i dont want to answer the phone. please can someone help.

money saving rules
  • Larumbelle
    They are far more likely to write than call.

If I was in your situation and they called, I would simply state that I wish all communication to be in writing. Be polite but firm, repeat this line a few times if you have to. If they ignore you and carry on taking, say "I have made my position clear. I will not discuss this matter by phone. Please write to me. I am now terminating this call." Then hang up. Do not get drawn into an argument or discussion of any kind.

Might take a bit of balls or the lady equivalent. But you can summon 'em! ;)
  • nickmack
    nickmack Posts: 4,435 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Very good advice from silvercharming above. Unlikely that the bank would call, but it's always best to have things in writing so there's no dispute over what's been said.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure