Driving in Europe

As a family, we are driving to Alicante at the end of this month. My current car insurance does not include European cover, should I go to my provider, Aviva, or look for cheaper, temporary insurance as a 1 off?

Comments

• stevenhp1987
    stevenhp1987 Posts: 907
    First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 5 July 2017 at 9:00PM
    Insurance policies must cover all EU countries.

Aviva is no different: https://www.aviva.co.uk/static/library/pdfs/motor/multi-car/NMDMG10249.pdf

It will be third-party only.

Are you asking to upgrade to comprehensive for the time you are away, if so, then shop around? Aviva will also allow you to pay extra to allow Comprehensive coverage when abroad.

You will be legally covered to drive to Spain on your current insurance policy.
  • darreng
    darreng Posts: 13
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I thought that, but my policy states that European cover not included. Looks like that fine tooth comb is going to be needed to read through the policy.
    Thanks Stephen.
  • If you do it online - Aviva let you add European cover and seemed to calculate on a pro-rata basis when I did so. So won't be full year cost

You could then remove that extra cover from the rest of your year, when you come back (if you don't need to claim) and so only pay for the time you are abroad.

I am not sure if you can do that offline or if they charge more, but I bet they do.

You can cheaply see the price online too. I don't recall it being much anyway - especially not on the short term basis if that is still possible.

IMHO heading to Europe on third party when you have fully comp at home would be plain dumb. Don't.
    I am just thinking out loud - nothing I say should be relied upon!
    I do however reserve the right to be correct by accident.
  • And don't forget to consider breakdown cover. Not good to have a broken down car stuck in Bordeaux and have to fly family back and then return to collect once fixed. Peace of mind ...
  • maman
    maman Posts: 28,500
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    And don't forget to consider breakdown cover. Not good to have a broken down car stuck in Bordeaux and have to fly family back and then return to collect once fixed. Peace of mind ...

Not sure if it was European driving or breakdown cover you meant in your original question.

I have UK breakdown cover but (I checked) I can upgrade to European if and when I plan to travel in France.

I used to do it as standard every year but we seem to fly more these days as ferries have got so expensive so it seemed I was paying extra for nothing.
  • darreng
    Forumite
    It was insurance. Thanks for the tips on breakdown. The car has just had it's annual service and is having a quick once over before we go. Don't think I'll get breakdown (might regret that ������)
  • darreng
    Forumite
    Just to say, contacted Aviva and got quoted £12 til end of renewal. Can cancel after the holiday and get a pro rata refund. Needless to say, bought it. Thanks all for your input.
  • pompeyrich
    pompeyrich Posts: 3,135
    Forumite
    darreng wrote: »
    It was insurance. Thanks for the tips on breakdown. The car has just had it's annual service and is having a quick once over before we go. Don't think I'll get breakdown (might regret that ������)

It's like all insurance, a waste of money until you have an incident. hopefully you won't but keep in mind that European recovery services are as, if not more, expensive than over here.

I had to pay €185 for a 2 km tow and another €60 labour and that was the easy bit. trying to talk to a garage with basic French wasn't working, had to get a friendly local to call for me, luckily it was an easy fix, if you had a grinder and we didn't have to think about hotels/taxis etc. this was in Calais with lots of people around, dread to think if it had been out in the sticks.

Of course the previous 20 or trips were incident free , so I probably broke even.
  • Turn_to_Grey
    Turn_to_Grey Posts: 100 Forumite
    Just worth mentioning about breakdown, you are not allowed to fix your car at the roadside, even just a simple puncture in Spain. Police will fine you if caught. All breakdowns must be towed off or lifted, to a garage / home.
    Started my job at the bottom and liked it
  • I think same applies to French Motorways which I assume you will be using to get to France.

As said all insurance is a kind of bet.

The costs are definitely higher in France and Spain - often a longer tow and if you have to wait for a part overnight ...

I want to relax on my hols not be thinking I hope I'd don't. The service is a good plan as again even if covered, I'd prefer not to dedicate any days off to sitting outside a garage.

Have great trip whatever.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure