PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What is your charity shop bargain of the week?

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    +1 for if you like it, hold it firmly on one hand. And keep a token coin in your other hand pocket so you can "start to pay" for it. Once staff have identified you clearly as the about to be owner as soon as you've emptied your purse, no other blighter can make away with it & cause this gruesome cs tristesse.
    Where there are plural items, deploy children, &/or spouse/partner/significant other/*trusted* partner in shopping, or just take the priced article & ask for assistance please.

I find if I can walk away from an item, it isn't meant to come home with me, whereas if it cuddles into my hand, clearly I should have brought more bags. And money. And family. Who are also pretty shrewd at picking out a nice read, or spotting a sharp T shirt. Raised 'em well!
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Or take the item to the counter for them to hold while you carry on browsing? Tried on a lovely pair of lilacy pink peach skin trousers - they were long enough for me but......Waist came at bikini line :( Did buy a nice Quicksilver shirt for DH for £2.99 - stylish and no sign of wear.
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • Bogof_Babe
    Bogof_Babe Posts: 10,803 Forumite
    Options
    Many's the time I have wished c/shops had baskets, like supermarkets do. I sometimes "borrow" a shopping bag that is on display, and put my bits in there as I walk around, then return it to the display when I get to the counter to pay. Never had anyone complain yet.
    :D I haven't bogged off yet, and I ain't no babe :D

• Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    sashanut wrote: »
    I'll keep a lookout for this in the chazzer I work in - we have loads of books & all paperbacks 50p & hardbacks £1....did I say my weakness is books??
    Thanks, that's very kind. :)
    janb5 wrote: »
    WOW! I'd never thought of looking on ebay.
    Thanks so much for that. :)
    Gem-gem wrote: »
    Hi,
    WhS have 70% off the Hairy Bikers Curry book at the moment. So it is now only £7 instead of £25.
    I am going to receive a copy for my birthday next month.
    Is that in-store?

I found this online, it's £17.00 so a saving of £8.00 (32%):
    https://www.whsmith.co.uk/search/go?af=cat1%3Abooks&w=hairy+bikers+curry

It's been fluctuating on Amazon around that price for ages, I've never seen it lower though.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    +1 for if you like it, hold it firmly on one hand. And keep a token coin in your other hand pocket so you can "start to pay" for it. Once staff have identified you clearly as the about to be owner as soon as you've emptied your purse, no other blighter can make away with it & cause this gruesome cs tristesse.
    Where there are plural items, deploy children, &/or spouse/partner/significant other/*trusted* partner in shopping, or just take the priced article & ask for assistance please.

I find if I can walk away from an item, it isn't meant to come home with me, whereas if it cuddles into my hand, clearly I should have brought more bags. And money. And family. Who are also pretty shrewd at picking out a nice read, or spotting a sharp T shirt. Raised 'em well!
    We can't beat this strategy for pure brilliance!! Total respect :D :T:T:T
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pollycat wrote: »
    Thanks, that's very kind. :)

WOW! I'd never thought of looking on ebay.
    Thanks so much for that. :)

Is that in-store?

I found this online, it's £17.00 so a saving of £8.00 (32%):
    https://www.whsmith.co.uk/search/go?af=cat1%3Abooks&w=hairy+bikers+curry

It's been fluctuating on Amazon around that price for ages, I've never seen it lower though.

Hi,
    Yes, that was in the store. I was in Bluewater, Kent.
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Gem-gem
    Gem-gem Posts: 4,401 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Did the rounds of charity shops around Faversham today.
    Bought:
    5 side plates for £1.50
    5 teaspoons for 10p each

Went into Shelter charity shop and they were selling paper back books for £1.50 and £1.75 each. I picked up three and then decided that I didn't want to pay that much for them. So I only bought one (The Silkworm, Robert Galbraith aka JK Rowling). Then went to Cancer Research and spotted one of the same books (me before you) in there for £1.00. (So saved 50p). Then I went into a rspca charity shop and found the other book (after you) for 50p ( saved £1.25). Also picked up another book for 50p ( James Patterson - Private down under).

Finally, I went into Oxfam and bought a DVD (The Butler) for £1.99

Fab shop for £7.49
    Save 12K in 2026 no 16
    Fashion on a ration 0/66 coupons
  • Pollycat
    Pollycat Posts: 34,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Savvy Shopper!
    Options
    Gem-gem wrote: »
    Hi,
    Yes, that was in the store. I was in Bluewater, Kent.
    Thanks, that's a bargain.

I'm in town today and they're open so will pop in and hope to pick a copy up.
  • Ballymackeonan
    Options
    Pickings have been fairly slim at my local CSs recently - but I made up for it on a trip to Perpignan last week (needless to say, 90% of my wardrobe for the trip was CS-sourced...) The only thing I've been getting is DVDs (like the 2 Mesrine DVDs for £1 - getting myself back into French..)

I got a 4 CD set of 1930s -1950s French dance music cds for €1, three silk scarves for €1 each, a heavy linen jacket in a light caramel colour for €1.50. Plus a man's nightshirt in fine linen and a pair of French knickers for €6.50 (grandmothers' knickers, from about 1880, totally hand sewn with tiny stitches...)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I had a bit of an unwarranted spend-up today. A science book for my niece which I teach her from when she's ready for it, and a BNWT pair of angel wings, which I think she can enjoy now.

And also for my mum 2 heavy crystal snack dishes, 10" round, divided into 4 quarter sections with a central round section. One was on a stand (I thought it was a crystal cake stand when I first saw it), one was not. Ideal for posh chips and dips :D

£10 in total.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure