We can't afford to live together and have children

Comments

• meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    JPB156 wrote: »
    I don't understand why I would even be posting if I was making excuses and didn't actually want it to happen, if that was the case where would my problem be

You're problem is you're looking for answers to questions that only you can answer. Move in with your partner, get on with your life instead of wittering about what ifs. Your partners age and your low count mean you need to do something now, not wait until you can afford the house of your dreams, babies tend not to care much about where they live.
  • Anoneemoose
    Anoneemoose Posts: 2,258 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 19 May 2017 at 1:19PM
    There are no guarantees in life. None. I had to give up work due to chronic illness, leaving us a (albeit part time) salary down. We manage very well.

I had my son young and his dad was work shy. We managed.

My Aunty and Uncle put off my uncle going to uni to get a new career, he eventually did and he was murdered 2 months before graduation. She now lives in her fully paid for house (life insurance), but I know she'd give anything to have him back and be living in a tent.

No one can tell you what will happen in the future, and unless you're filthy rich, anything could happen - but isn't that part of the fun of life? Taking calculated 'risks'?

Just get on with it!
  • System
    System Posts: 178,090 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    edited 19 May 2017 at 1:18PM
    JPB156 there is a housing board on here which would be better able to deal with your specific query regarding affordability of mortgage on your income.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=&f=16

You have posted your question on the marriages and relationships board, resulting in people starting to pry into other matters.
  • JPB156
    JPB156 Posts: 91 Forumite
    Some People are posting that we don't know what it's like and I sound like a teenager, I don't feel that but one thing I'm scared of is that we are being naive thinking that we could do it. With interest rates so low we feel we have to give ourselves a massive cushion for if they go up
  • jackieblack
    jackieblack Posts: 10,314 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Some People are posting that we don't know what it's like and I sound like a teenager, I don't feel that but one thing I'm scared of is that we are being naive thinking that we could do it. With interest rates so low we feel we have to give ourselves a massive cushion for if they go up
    That is what the lenders affordability test is supposed to check.
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter, south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading
    Everything will be alright in the end so, if it’s not yet alright, it means it’s not yet the end
    MFW #4 OPs (offset): 2018 £866.89, 2019 £1322.33, 2020 £1337.07,
    2021 £1250.00, 2022 £1500.00, 2023 £1500
    Target for 2024 (offset) = £1200, YTD £345
    Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
  • JPB156
    They didn't go very deeply into what we have to spend a month though, never asked for bank statements. I read they only check up to about 6-7%?
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    They didn't go very deeply into what we have to spend a month though, never asked for bank statements. I read they only check up to about 6-7%?

What you currently spend isn't relevant in anyway though.

They check in all cases, subsequent credit checks are at a lower rate.

What have you got, an AIP?
  • JPB156
    They put an example on the mortgage info that they can go up to anything and used the example of the highest in the last 20 years and it would put it up to 1400. That's just stuck in my head as we would never afford that
  • JPB156
    We did have an aip then did a full application for the amount when we saw this house and that's when we looked at monthly costs of mortgage
  • Guest101
    Guest101 Posts: 15,764 Forumite
    They put an example on the mortgage info that they can go up to anything and used the example of the highest in the last 20 years and it would put it up to 1400. That's just stuck in my head as we would never afford that

So you don't have a mortgage offer at all. Have you checked your credit?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure