Voyage Privee - recovering deposit on disputed booking

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help us with either some advice or pointing in the right direction.

Basically, my wife booked a holiday with Voyage Privee last August for 4 people to go to Tenerfie next month for around £1630.
At the time we paid a deposit of £820 on credit card and recieved an email invoice clearly stating the ampount of the deposit paid and the outstanding balance of £840 which matched the amount expected

All fine, and we were expecting the reminder to pay the remaining balance last week.

We were therefore pretty surprised to recieve an email last week telling us an outstanding balance of £1920 was now due.

My wife phoned them as was told that the total price of the holiday was £2740.

She clearly questioned this and advised them that a) we had recieved an invoice at time of booking that stated the outstanding balance as £840 and that also we wouldnt have never booked the holiday in the first place if it had been £2740!

Long story short, we sent a copy of the invoice we recived to them and they have basically told us it was "clearly a mistake" which we should have realised. However we never recieved any updated invoice or communication advising us that the original invoice was wrong.

As she was worried about the £1900 being taken from her credit card, my wife a) contacted her credit card company and advised them of the dispute and asked them to stop the payment coming out and then b) eventually cancelled the booking after the communication with Voyage Privee was unsuccessful.

We have now contaced the credit card co to try to recover our deposit and they've told us theres nothing they can do to recover the deposit because we've now cancelled the booking.

I'm obviously very angry. As I see it Voyage Privee have made a mistake somewhere in the booking but have neglected to advise us, and as a result we have now lost £800 because they are unwilling to refund the deposit even though its their error.

I'm also angry that when my wife initially phoned the credit card co they did not advise her that for them to claim our money back we had to let the payment go through.

Is there any sensible option for recourse? Normally Id' write a direct email to their MD, but I've seen various peolple saying even that doesnt work with them!

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    Raise a section 75 dispute with your card provider.

The documentation you have should be enough to convince them.

Good form on a mis price would be to offer a full refund.
  • jonesMUFCforever
    jonesMUFCforever Posts: 28,898
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why not post the details on here to see whether we think the price was correct or not?
  • roadhog99
    roadhog99 Posts: 6
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    We contacted the cc company about a section 75, but they've said because we cancelled the booking they could not help.

I'm not sure this is true though. As I see it the travel co misrepresented the cost of the holiday.

I guess we could go to financial ombudsman?
  • PeacefulWaters
    PeacefulWaters Posts: 8,495 Forumite
    edited 19 May 2017 at 4:28AM
    roadhog99 wrote: »
    We contacted the cc company about a section 75, but they've said because we cancelled the booking they could not help.
    I would disagree given the chain of events. Talk to a supervisor. Perhaps raise a complaint separately about being told S75 doesn't apply.
    I'm not sure this is true though. As I see it the travel co misrepresented the cost of the holiday.
    I agree.
    I guess we could go to financial ombudsman?
    Yes. Or do a money claim online (MCO). You will win.
    Why not post the details on here to see whether we think the price was correct or not?
    I don't think it makes much difference unless the OP expects the original price of the holiday to be honoured. Getting a week away for £400 a head is possible. As is £700 a head. Even in August. I suspect many would have smelled great value, but it's not the same as Currys selling a tv for £2.99 with a slip on the decimal point reducing it from £299.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure