not paying back / delaying paying back money "sent to wrong payee"

Options
theone999
theone999 Posts: 203 Forumite
First Post First Anniversary
edited 15 October 2016 at 1:28PM in Debt-free wannabe
My bank is HSBC, which has sent me a letter detailing a request from Lloyds for request of authorising a debit for money sent to "wrong payee from list".

Am I allowed to simply write back to HSBC saying, "authorisation not given"? without giving a reason or explanation.

What would happen next if I flat out refused to hand the money back through the HSBC letter procedure?

If it goes to court, I will lose. But what I want is to drag it out as long as possible and hope the other party stops on account of cost / hassle. The sum of money involved is under £100. I know that one way to stop HSBC from debiting my account is to ensure my account has less the credit of the sum involved. But as HSBC is monitoring my balance/payments in/overdraft, that option is not a good one.

What are the possible outcomes of happening next and how can I drag out paying back as long as possible without it affecting my credit rating or incurring additiona costs?

While this post makes me sound like an absolute !!!! (just pay them already!), I have multiple borrowings from multiple banks all of which are on my !!! and I have rent arrears greater than the sum of all credit and balances that I have.

Comments

• Saver-upper
    Saver-upper Posts: 2,336 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Apart from the fact that it does make you sound like a !!!!!!,WHY??For the sake of less than £100,is it really worth the hassle?
    What makes you think HSBC wouldn't take the money and leave your account in unauthorised overdraft?I don't think they would really care if your account went into overdraft-more money (fees) for them,isn't it?
    But if you think it is worth it....
    SPC #36 :staradminx 8.SPC7=£751.10 SPC8=£651.04 SPC9=£843.00 SPC10=£872.76
    Pinecone £301,Valued Opinions £10.50

• iolanthe07
    iolanthe07 Posts: 5,493 Forumite
    Options
    If the money isn't yours, then of course you should return it immediately. What on earth has become of us?
    I used to think that good grammar is important, but now I know that good wine is importanter.
  • ERICS_MUM
    ERICS_MUM Posts: 3,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The only party in this saga to lose out will be the person who sent the money to the wrong account in the first place. They won't get their money back until you pay it back. The banks are just the go-betweens.
  • Karonher
    Karonher Posts: 916 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Pay it back - it's not yours. Why do you think people will help you to be dishonest?

It's one thing to not be able to pay what you owe and want help but totally different to try and keep someone elses money. You moan about your situation and yet want to make it difficult for someone else.
    Aiming to make £7,500 online in 2022
  • theone999
    Options
    Apart from the fact that it does make you sound like a !!!!!!,WHY??For the sake of less than £100,is it really worth the hassle?
    What makes you think HSBC wouldn't take the money and leave your account in unauthorised overdraft?I don't think they would really care if your account went into overdraft-more money (fees) for them,isn't it?
    But if you think it is worth it....

because the lettering of the letter says so. if you want to be sarcastic, try harder. is it worth the hassle? clearly yes, or I wouldn't have bothered asking.
  • theone999
    Options
    Karonher wrote: »
    Pay it back - it's not yours. Why do you think people will help you to be dishonest?

It's one thing to not be able to pay what you owe and want help but totally different to try and keep someone elses money. You moan about your situation and yet want to make it difficult for someone else.

did you not read the bit about my rent arrears? I am paying various parties back. when you're short on money, it goes on an order of priority. just because I have some credit in an account doesn't mean I don't have debt elsewhere which is more important.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Hi,

So someone has made a payment to your bank account in error, is that whats happened here ?

Is there any dispute arising from this payment ?

Is it an individual, or a company ?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • theone999
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Hi,

So someone has made a payment to your bank account in error, is that whats happened here ?

Is there any dispute arising from this payment ?

Is it an individual, or a company ?

it's a company. i used to work for them. all the people above are being utter !!!!!!, I haven't said I would never pay it back or go all the way to court. I simply want to explore every avenue to push paying back as late as possible. what part of prioritising debt repayments does people on this subsection not understand.

I only saw the letter piled up this morning and the bank wants it done within 7 working days, ie next week now. timescale is too short.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,878 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    edited 15 October 2016 at 2:36PM
    Options
    theone999 wrote: »
    it's a company. i used to work for them. all the people above are being utter !!!!!!, I haven't said I would never pay it back or go all the way to court. I simply want to explore every avenue to push paying back as late as possible. what part of prioritising debt repayments does people on this subsection not understand.

I only saw the letter piled up this morning and the bank wants it done within 7 working days, ie next week now. timescale is too short.

Ah, ok, I understand you now.

Your original post could of been worded a little differently, because people always jump to the worst conclusions.

Yes in your situation i would string it out as long as possible, offer them £1 a month, your priority debts ALWAYS come first before any other debt.

It is best to communicate with the people you owe money to, just keep them in the loop, and pay what you can, when you can.

The Bank cannot take money from your account without permission or a court order.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • theone999
    edited 15 October 2016 at 2:42PM
    Options
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Ah, ok, I understand you now.

Your original post could of been worded a little differently, because people always jump to the worst conclusions.

Yes in your situation i would string it out as long as possible, offer them £1 a month, your priority debts ALWAYS come first before any other debt.

It is best to communicate with the people you owe money to, just keep them in the loop, and pay what you can, when you can.
    right, but how should I deal with the bank first as it is HSBC which has sent me the letter and Llyods which has made the request. as i'm already under monitoring and trying to keep my head above water, i do not wish to voluntarily reveal I have rent arrears or payments elsewhere to my bank, lest the bank pulls the plug and I'd be multiple times !!!!ed.

*do I go to Lloyds and offer them £1 a month?
    *the company?
    *do I tell HSBC to dispute the payment? as no proof has been offered as it's an automatic process. which would be the first step in pushing it back?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure