PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• pineapple
    pineapple Posts: 6,931 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    2tonsils wrote: »
    What with having to check all the dates and also the contents for gluten its going to take me ages to get the shopping done.
    So do you have to stick to gluten free? I tend to have a reaction to bread but it may just be a wheat intolerance.
    So I'm currently experimenting with spelt flour
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/262259-nutrition-of-spelt-flour-vs-wheat-flour/
    And with einkorn flour
    http://www.einkorn.com/is-einkorn-flour-gluten-free/

All of which costs an arm and a leg of course! :eek:
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    hunters wrote: »
    Silly? No I don't think so but I do think I would be annoyed if my colleagues were checking out what people placed in our similar food bank box.

When I have purchased anything for the box its been a duplicate can of whatever I buy myself and certainly not snobbery.

It was an observation. The way the box has been cut you can see from quite a distance whats been put in. I just found it odd seeing people bringing in packed lunches and having say supermarket or value brand cup a soup/crackers/crisps etc that everything in the box that could see was a big brand i.e. not what I'm seeing people with at their desks.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • Uniscots97
    Uniscots97 Posts: 6,685 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    2tonsils wrote: »
    What with having to check all the dates and also the contents for gluten its going to take me ages to get the shopping done.

2T, would sites like Approved Foods or similar ship out to where you live? I know Approved Foods do a lot of Gluten free stuff quite cheap.
    CC2 = £8687.86 ([STRIKE]£10000[/STRIKE] )CC1 = £0 ([STRIKE]£9983[/STRIKE] ); Reusing shopping bags savings =£5.80 vs spent £1.05.Wine is like opera. You can enjoy it even if you don't understand it and too much can give you a headache the next day J
  • BigMummaF
    BigMummaF Posts: 4,281 Forumite
    sb44 wrote: »
    Don't forget that the Shtf for birds too in weather like this, it is -4 here in North Staffs, lots of water frozen over.

Make sure you add some hot water to any water bowls you have in the garden for them.

I just tried getting the ice out of the bowls I put out but is frozen solid (water about 5" deep!

They need some stodgy stuff to eat too so I have just baked some chocolate oat bran muffins which they seem to like.
    You could try putting a ping pong ball or a little bath toy--anything that floats--in the water bowl; folk with fish ponds do that to stop the tops getting completely frozen as once you lift said object, the seal is broken & the ice cracks easily.
    Muvva likes to see the birds so we tried some food on her balcony, but then she moaned about their contributions to the decorating :rotfl:

I'll get The Offsring the links to those little stoves as I'm sure they will be happy to provide drinks cans of some description :doh:m'be the residue & fumes would help light them :p
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    Snowing like mad here and very cold. Our heating has packed in - always happens in midwinter eh :) but the HA are superb and the guy is here now fixing it. They also sebt up some electric heaters as soon as I phoned in.
    Reminded me of just how cold this house is without heating - the first winter we were here, my 10yr old son was in hospital in an oxygen tent with asthma and chest infection. I think out next prep needs to be a Calor gas super ser heater for emergencies.
  • :) Dear all

Cold winds here and rain, hope everyone is safe and dry and warm.

Now we're not o/d OH is keen for us to restock, having seen how useful emergency stores are when cash flow, er, ceases to flow so readily. Having to restrain him from going into a baked bean and tinned tomato frenzy.

Forgot to report that we are now a mice free zone, (sorry UIV free zone). 4 of the little blighters are now in that big mouse hole in the sky. RIP. Did think briefly of giving them a viking burial on the pond, little wooden raft all aflame to give them a send-off, but OH pointed out the goldfish might get poisoned.

And the neighbours already believe we are slightly one brick short of a full hod.

So, anyways, feel we are well catered for against the cold, still have some stocks, and getting better night's sleep. I'm hoping Santa is feeling generous at Xmas and leaving a Kindle in my sock, then I can down-load all those great e-books & get a solar charger for it....

I am absolutely fascinated with what everyone is finding, and love 2T's posts, keep us informed as I do feel things will get worse.

I used to work for a LA (shall remain nameless), and they were staggering their redundancies over the next 4 years, so it's not happening all at once like in Greece. So, a few years down the line things may get worse, not better, even Chameeleon's gov is admitting things will take longer to 'solve'.

With private sector not soaking up public sector redundancies (big shock), I can see a long struggle ahead. I am also saving as well as prepping, as I truly think we will need it, you know the saying 'Prepare for the worst, but, hope for the best'...

Stay well all!

Keeeeppppp preeeeepppppppinnnng!

BBB
    My dog: Ears as high ranging in frequency as a bat. Nose as sensitive as a bloodhound. Eyes as accurate as Mr. Magoo's!
    Prepper and saver: novice level. :A #81 Save 12k in 2013! £3.009.00/£12,000
    #50 C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z. HairyGardenTwineWrangler & MAW OH: SpadeSplatterer. DDog:Hairy hotwater bottle and seat warmer!
  • Oh bad luck MAR, hope you get it fixed today at the latest. We are very wet and windy here today but it is very much warmer than the past week so I'm grateful for that at least. Hope things are getting better for the family too. I am having a baking session so the kitchen is lovely and cosy, am making shortbread and mincemeat flapjack fingers as I had half a jar to use up. Then it's on to the ironing which will also keep me warm. We are having lots of short power blips at the moment, making me very glad we have the solar lamps and the woodburner. We turned off the TV last night and just sat in the lounge reading it was lovely, warm because of the stove and peacefully companionable. We do have a calor gas heater, for emergencies which we have only had to use once, before we had the stove put in. Worth its weight in gold then as it was very cold at the time. They are a really good back up, it adds to peace of mind knowing it's there. Stay safe and keep warm, Cheers Lyn xxx.
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    edited 14 December 2012 at 12:14PM
    sb44 wrote: »
    To what extent Popperwell?

How bad do you think things will get in this country?

It depends how much the population are prepared to take SB44. Whether they accept all the austere measures and cuts/changes to the benefit system that affects the disadvantaged etc, with a shrug of the shoulders or make their feelings known in the only way that they can and that usually means some kind of unrest either an ordinary march/walk or more robust.

The trouble is that will result in two reactions from the Government, "ordinary" people will be ignored or condemned, when the chancellor was challenged over the explosion of Food Banks yesterday by a parliamentary committee over his autumn budget statement he hardly batted an eyelid.

Yesterday the Daily Mail(I hardly read newspapers these days)as the price of a newspaper can give me a meal and radio/TV/internet news is more upto date but there is a European League table on living standards and we have dropped from 4th to 6th place between 2010 and 2011 where other countries have mainly stayed in the same position.
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • mardatha
    mardatha Posts: 15,612 Forumite
    I love just sitting quietly at the fire too :) Is all fixed now and stove + radiators back to red hot. Just hope the bloody thing goes off now!! LOL when we first got it we were close to meltdown it was so hot :)
  • dronid
    dronid Posts: 599 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Photogenic
    I will say this thread is proving invaluable to me as my sister has just moved into a van in a friends woodland. It's an ex-army ambulance which she's converting into living space. Of course that means that she's in rather reduced circumstances and we're going to have to look at various alternatives, efficient solar lighting for winter - gas fridge and cooker - wood burning stove - insulation etc. But good for her. She's got support from people who've done the conversion jobs before and it should lead to a good 'off grid' lifestyle. She's getting a pressure cooker for Christmas and some self sufficiency books. Must suggest the bubble wrap insulation to her for her windows.

I could make it better myself at home. All I need is a small aubergine...

I moved to Liverpool for a better life.
    And goodness, it's turned out to be better and busier!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure