PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Comments

• Hello again

Thanks very much SB!

Happy to report that I followed the instructions, and it was ok, keys snap off easily and snap back too.

The only hitch was the camera isn't working so put keys in careful order on the side. This was fine until one shot off into the crowd mixing up a few and I had to figure out where they went!

Didn't have the reccommended cleaner, used the spray I clean my specs with and it's ok. Tiny bit of sticking on the space bar, but, much better than it was as I felt like throwing the keyboard away/at wall at one stage.

I am now keeping food & drink well away from it! Mysterious layer of dog fur under keys, don't think my dog is clever enough to type, she must've been licking sherry off keys (Ponders about 'Nibbler' aka clever alien posing as dumb pet in 'Futurama'). Nah, can't be.....

BBB
    My dog: Ears as high ranging in frequency as a bat. Nose as sensitive as a bloodhound. Eyes as accurate as Mr. Magoo's!
    Prepper and saver: novice level. :A #81 Save 12k in 2013! £3.009.00/£12,000
    #50 C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z. HairyGardenTwineWrangler & MAW OH: SpadeSplatterer. DDog:Hairy hotwater bottle and seat warmer!
  • 2tonsils
    2tonsils Posts: 915 Forumite
    Thank you, the instruction for the can stoves are great .We are definitely going to have a go at making them. My OH is very good at making things and was fascinated by the instructions. Pleased someone clarified Meths can be used as I am allergic to white spirit.

Very cold here still but at least it was sunny today. We had quite a hard frost last night and another expected tonight. The local farmers are worried about the citrus trees and are covering the ground around the root and the tops of them with fleece..it looks really strange from a distance.

Need to go to the shops and stock up on tins and packet stuff tomorrow. I used up some tinned fruit and tinned beans as I realised they were almost up to the use by date and I had only just bought them. From now on I am going to check the dates before I buy them. My mother in law mentioned she bought some long life milk last week and the use by date on them is only three weeks away. Ours are usually at least six months from the date for use by. Since the Greek government has now given permission for out of date food to be sold in the shops I am going to have to be more careful what I buy. What with having to check all the dates and also the contents for gluten its going to take me ages to get the shopping done.

Have got the log fire burning and had the heating on for an hour earlier but it feels like the cold is seeping through the walls...its very cold out there. It will be good if the sky stays clear though, there is a big meteor shower tonight and tomorrow and I might just get to see them this time.
    “The superior man, when resting in safety, does not forget that danger may come. When in a state of security he does not forget the possibility of ruin.” Confucius (551 BC - 479 BC):A
  • vanoonoo
    vanoonoo Posts: 1,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    oldtractor wrote: »
    for when TSHTF in no particular order.
    money
    loo roll
    candles
    wind up radio
    tinned foods
    tin opener
    pet foods and bedding
    wood for a fire
    a kettle
    water.
    and something to make fire with (matches / lighter / flint / firelighting sparker thing / two bits of wood to rub together etc - those candles wont light themselves! x
    Blah
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    sb44 wrote: »
    Don't forget that the Shtf for birds too in weather like this, it is -4 here in North Staffs, lots of water frozen over.

Make sure you add some hot water to any water bowls you have in the garden for them.

I just tried getting the ice out of the bowls I put out but is frozen solid (water about 5" deep!

They need some stodgy stuff to eat too so I have just baked baked some chocolate oat bran muffins which they seem to like.

I read baked bean chocolate oat muffins :eek:
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • sb44
    sb44 Posts: 5,203 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Hello again

Thanks very much SB!

Happy to report that I followed the instructions, and it was ok, keys snap off easily and snap back too.

The only hitch was the camera isn't working so put keys in careful order on the side. This was fine until one shot off into the crowd mixing up a few and I had to figure out where they went!

Didn't have the reccommended cleaner, used the spray I clean my specs with and it's ok. Tiny bit of sticking on the space bar, but, much better than it was as I felt like throwing the keyboard away/at wall at one stage.

I am now keeping food & drink well away from it! Mysterious layer of dog fur under keys, don't think my dog is clever enough to type, she must've been licking sherry off keys (Ponders about 'Nibbler' aka clever alien posing as dumb pet in 'Futurama'). Nah, can't be.....

BBB

Glad that it worked for you. I must remember the tip myself should I ever need it.

;)
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    ginnyknit wrote: »
    I read baked bean chocolate oat muffins :eek:

OMG! That is what you get when trying to rush.

Best I go back and amend it.

Ta.

:o
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    2tonsils wrote: »
    Thank you, the instruction for the can stoves are great .We are definitely going to have a go at making them. My OH is very good at making things and was fascinated by the instructions. Pleased someone clarified Meths can be used as I am allergic to white spirit.

If you search YouTube for the brick Rocket Stoves, there are some that people make for indoors, they fit into the fire hearth.

;)
  • Popperwell
    Popperwell Posts: 5,088 Forumite
    2tonsils wrote: »
    Since the Greek government has now given permission for out of date food to be sold in the shops I am going to have to be more careful what I buy. What with having to check all the dates and also the contents for gluten its going to take me ages to get the shopping done.

I have a feeling this could happen here as I still believe things are worse than we are being told as I have said before but you know if this was allowed here less food might be wasted and just maybe they could sell it cheaper so people who are single, pensioners, carers and those on really low wages might be able to eat better.

Supermarkets would have less waste so might increase their profits indirectly. After all is this not the model companies like Approved foods follow?

After all I don't care if a carrot or parsnip is mishapen if it is still healthy, I am eating it not looking at it!
    "A government afraid of its citizens is a Democracy. Citizens afraid of government is tyranny!" ~Thomas Jefferson

"Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in" ~ Alan Alda
  • sb44
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Popperwell wrote: »
    I have a feeling this could happen here as I still believe things are worse than we are being told

To what extent Popperwell?

How bad do you think things will get in this country?
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    sb44 no hunny you didnt type it wrong I read it wrong - the baked bean chocolate oat muffins. I like the posts you put on, very interesting and I always have coke cans cos Im addicted to the stuff - well diet coke that is.

Am sat here with my candle burning as its so cold in my office, it has bare brick walls from the days when it was a utility room off the kitchen. My task, should I choose to accept it, after Chrimbo is to line the walls with something so it warmer and knit a thick mat for under my feet at the desk as the carpet is thin which makes your feet cold - we have concrete floors. The candle really makes a difference and its only a tea light - what would we do without tealight candles?
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills