PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparedness for when

Options

Comments

• Rummer
    Rummer Posts: 6,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    rachbc wrote: »
    Disappointed that no one has mentioned checking on vulnerable people locally - infact some are even taking of hiding the fact they have provisions.

very very sad

Quite a few people have mentioned that they would.
    Taking responsibility one penny at a time!
  • elona
    elona Posts: 11,806 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    RacheB

Several posters have mentioned checking on neighbours etc.

I did not get the impression people were "hiding" preps , just not shouting about them in public.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • smileyt_2
    smileyt_2 Posts: 1,240 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2012 at 10:30PM
    Options
    Hi peeps, 3rd member of the prepper thread reporting for duty ....

First, don't panic. When I started prepping I went a bit beserk and bought all sorts of stuff that basically was useless! Planning is everything! Remember, this is a money-saving site so have a look round at what you've already got before dashing out to buy, buy, buy!

For the 'no power in winter' scenario I think the following would be useful:
    Stored water.
    Water purification tablets (in case you have to use water from eg your garden water butts - as long as it's not frozen ....)
    Alternative source of light - candles, wind-up lanterns/torches, battery-operated torches.
    Alternative source of cooking - some kind of camping stove. Even a cheap hexamine stove and hexamine blocks would be better than nothing.
    Alternative source of keeping warm - thermals, duvets, woolly hats, a calor gas heater?
    Hygiene - antibacterial wipes, hand gel etc are better than nothing.
    Toilet - a bucket with some cat litter. Bear in mind that (so I have read) gases form when poop decomposes so you might want to keep this outside except for the times when it is being used!
    Food - what's in your storecupboard? Stuff that's quick to cook, like soup, baked beans, porridge, stir-fry/noodles. Comfort food like chocolate.
    Prescription and other drugs. To build up a back up, you might want to consider putting in your repeat prescription a couple of days earlier every time. We are not talking about hoarding drugs for a black market here, just having enough in hand to tide over a week or so in an emergency.
    Pet food and supplies if you have any animals.
    Wind-up radio.

It might be worth thinking if you have any trustworthy neighbours or friends you could discuss this with. Make sure they are trustworthy as you don't want them coming round threatening you and taking your stuff. If you can find someone to prep with, you can support each other in times of crisis. I imagine if you were alone when the power went out, especially if it was a national thing and not just localised, some people would be very frightened to be on their own. Especially elderly or vulnerable people. If you have any elderly neighbours please think of them!

For this kind of scenario, it is worth thinking about what you do on a daily basis, and what alternatives you would need to function at a basic level.

Perhaps we should also be thinking about how to build connections with neighbours now, before any crises hit. Obviously (as mentioned above) you have to be a bit circumspect. But if several people are able to pull together in a crisis and support each other, it's less scary than going it alone.
    Aspire not to have more but to be more.
    Oscar Romero

Still trying to be frugal...
  • kidcat
    kidcat Posts: 6,058 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    rachbc wrote: »
    Disappointed that no one has mentioned checking on vulnerable people locally - infact some are even taking of hiding the fact they have provisions.

very very sad
    Rummer wrote: »
    Quite a few people have mentioned that they would.

I thought several people had said they would be checking - in my case we live on an estate with no-one over the age of 50, all fit and healthy. In fact in our neighbourhood, we would be the ones considered vulnerable, having two disabled children and I am not the most mobile. :D

I think that in severe crisis people automatically join together and work to get through it.

I remember when my DS14 was only six weeks old, we had a major water leak in our area that meant we had no water for six days. My OH was very ill and had a damaged wrist which meant he could not go out at all. He had also had some kind of radioactive scan/xray that meant he was not allowed near the kids for 24hrs.

Having had a really bad birth, haemorrage and being seriously ill, I was left to walk a mile (wasnt allowed to drive) with a 3yr old, a 6 wk old and carry the water we needed ( was not supposed to lift anything at all) back from the stand pipe. By the time I got there I was ready to collapse, only to discover that the pipe wasnt working and the water company had been delivering bottles to the pipe instead.
    A really kind family noticed and helped me home, they then made sure that whenever they went for water they always got some for me too. They went further by speaking to the officials when they were at the pipe and explained my circumstances - the water board then sent someone out to deliver water to my door.
    By the end there was a collective going on, where people were working together and collecting water in groups - organised and ensuring that everyone had enough.

I would like to think similar would happen now too.
  • prepareathome
    prepareathome Posts: 1,931 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 12 August 2012 at 10:37PM
    Options
    Ideas List - Basics if not fireplace, garden

Water

These amounts are bare minumum

Drinking 2lts a day per person( drinks, cooking) add 2lt for every dog and 1ltr for a cat if they will drink it.

Washing/Dishes 1ltr a day - you boil a kettle and wash everything at once

Washing - self 1lt per person per day ( this allows a few washes by everyone unless single person then I would do 2lt

Water purification tablets

Toilet

Bucket
    Chalky Type Cat Litter
    Cat Litter Scoop
    nappy or dog poo bags
    Black bin bags
    Disinfectant

you put bucket in toilet after blocking it off in case of back feed. Put black bin bag in bucket. Place about 4 ins of cat litter in bucket.

After liquid at more cat litter
    After solid at more cat litter then use litter scoop and place in nappy/doggy poo sack
    Place in a bin bag and loosely tie.
    When bucket gets nearly full or if you notice a smell empty out into a black bin bag, you might find two are stronger and place somewhere away from living area, preferably outside in bin, if rubbish bin full empty out the recycling bin and use that, you can tidy up later.
    Give bucket a squirt of disinfectant and wipe round with kitchen roll and repeat.

Heat

Calor gas heater if allowed - I know a lot of flats are not allowed them
    camping heater Like this one I am not selling this honestly nor do I know or have anything to do with the seller.
    Hot water bottles
    Fleeces
    Candles -they give off heat as well as light and someone already mentioned putting a baking sheet over tea-lights to make a small heater.
    Live in one room only
    Do not seal yourself in though you must have oxygen coming in.
    If you use a heater/stove like the one I have shown you need to open a window a crack to let air in
    Carbon monoxide dectector - very important if using gas heater and stove.

Cooking

Camping stove as above - gas canisters last around 90 mins each.
    fondue sets - you can get ones that use candles or methylated spirits
    Rachette set - similar as above
    As Mar said put tea-light candles under a wire rack and cook on it.
    Food warmers - candle and methylated again.
    a camping or stove top kettle - you lose less water boiling in that than a pan and boils quicker.

Lighting

Wind up torches
    Battery torches + batteries
    Tea-light candles
    Wall sconce's
    Candle Lanterns ( for the tea-light and other size candles)
    Light-sticks
    Matches - ordinary
    Lighter

Food enough easy cooked food for a week - 3 meals a day + snacks, this is not the time to worry about your weight. This is for everyone and don't forget the pets

For the meals work out what you would have for each meal, everything don't assume you will have this or that in. Don't forget to include drinks hot and cold be it coffee, tea, hot chocolate, fruit teas, soft drinks.

Alcohol is not such a good idea if you are not used to it and you are using naked flames for heating, cooking lighting so leave the wine for afterwards or a little tipple before you snuggle down for the night.

Also wind up radio so you can hear what is going on that can be very important for morale if nothing else.

Entertainment for yourself and your family. You will not spend the whole time sleeping and if you are stuck at home alone time will drag even with radio you need other things to do.
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

Fashion on a ration coupon 2021 - 21 left
  • meme30
    meme30 Posts: 534 Forumite
    edited 12 August 2012 at 11:01PM
    Options
    Having enough prescription meds was not on my list and that would be a big thing for us.

Remember Mums, calpol has only existed for a few years. Before, all children were given crushed paracetamol tablets (sometimes in a spoonful of jam!)

One paracetamol = 500mgs. Therefore half tablet = 250mgs. We are so used to doling out Calpol by the spoonful, have a look at the mg dose per 5ml spoonful.

Work out how much that is in terms of 1/2 or 1/4 of one paracetamol tablet. Everyone should ensure they have a supply in case of illness or fever.

Sorry, for those who have never done this before. Tablets can be snapped in half or cut with a knife. To crush, place tablet between the bowls of two dessert spoons, and press hard. It taste awful so a sweetener is needed.
    Give us the strength to encounter that which is to come, that we may be brave in peril, constant in tribulation, temparate in wrath, and in all changes of fortune, and down to the gates of death, loyal and loving to one another.”
  • prepareathome
    Options
    By me now hubby and I although in our mid 50s are the oldest people around, last elderly lady died two weeks ago. Now us and neighbours who are younger are longest families who have live here. Our immediate area is all used by people either getting on property ladder as you can still by houses for around £150k or they are rented out so no-one stays longer than 3- 4 years tops as they want to move further into the city( me I am still not far enough away from it).

Still I it would be us checking on them I think than other way round.

Or wandering down the road to both HA sheltered accommodation or the private retirement flats to check on people there but neither are right by me and if weather to bad I would not be going that far as scooter would slip all over the place if it worked at all. I doubt lady would open their door to hubby on his own during an emergency they would be to frightened.

I might get to know some people in the sheltered accommodation if I can give a talk there to residents not just about storecupboarding but preparing, well they did ask if I knew anything about it, They will be sorry they asked.

The sheltered accommodation is totally all electric with no fireplace anywhere. So I would have to work out a rota for those able to feed and check on those not able to manage with naked flame appliances in times of emergency (thanks Smileyt I had not thought of that till read your post) as I will not be able to get there. Obviously it will be constantly changing by the nature of those who live there as all elderly although anyone over 55 can have a flat there.
    Need to get back to getting finances under control now kin kid at uni as savings are zilch

• Fruball
    Fruball Posts: 5,739 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    It's a good idea to keep some sleeping tablets just in case you are forced out of your home (gas explosion/floods etc) in case you have to share a communal area/hall of some description with other people - this is my worst nightmare and would want to sleep as much as possible until it was over! :D

Even if you had to go to a local hotel or friends house, sleeping tablets would be a help if you couldn't settle for whatever reason - stress being one of them ;)
  • prepareathome
    Options
    meme30 wrote: »
    Remember Mums, calpol has only existed for a few years. Before, all children were given crushed paracetamol tablets (sometimes in a spoonful of jam!)

I am that ancient that my children were first given disprin - aspirin not paracetamol and literally woke up one morning and heard on the news we had to throw away children's aspirin and only give our children paracetamol only. First most of us heard that aspirin could be dangerous to children - in fact I had, had one of mine at doctors the day before and he had given me a prescription for disprin. Chemist swapped it for paracetamol as meme said as there was no children's one on the market then

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport