PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

KonMari 2016 - The Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up

Options

Comments

• nearlyrich
    nearlyrich Posts: 13,698 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Hung up my suit!
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    If you take nothing else from me, take this; do it Now, when it comes to the stuff that gives you joy. You may be around tomorrow but in no fit state to do the things you love.

Very true that's why I have released my job early :0

My mum used to hoard Flora tubs she had 77 when I managed to wrestle some off her!
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    nearlyrich wrote: »
    Very true that's why I have released my job early :0

My mum used to hoard Flora tubs she had 77 when I managed to wrestle some off her!
    :D Are we related?! I've tried telling Mum that butter has now been officially rehabilitated, healthwise, and that marg is actually the food of the devil. Admittedly, I hold both these as truths but, in the back of my mind, is the thought that she couldn't hoard butter wrappers.

Although, now I come to recall my childhood, we did usually have half a dozen butter wrappers stored in the fridge for greasing down baking tins.:rotfl:

Their recycling wheelie isn't emptied until next Monday and is already half full of marg tubs and coffee cans. I also found two jam-jars which held ossified paint brushes which were glued into the tarry residue which is what's left when white spirit and paint evaporate. Luvverly. What fuel for fires this stuff would be.

We have collectively worshipped downstairs at the altar of telecoms (OK, I like Antiques Roadshow, so shoot me :p) and I have come back to the web because 30 mins of telly is about as much as I can tolerate.

Some large 8-legged things have had to be kondo'd from this house. Yesterday morning, Mum passed me coming out of the bathroom as I was going in; Don't look in the tub, she muttered.

Me, looking AIEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Just had to get Dad to haul another giant beastie out of this room as it was right by the pooter desk. Tell ya, it'll be a relief to get back to the concrete jungle of Shoebox Towers where the only spiders in residence are those spindly pod ones. They eat other spider species.

I'm cool with that, as long as they do it discreetly and I don't have to see the monsters.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • greenbee
    greenbee Posts: 16,141 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    It's 'wearing shoes indoors' season at the moment GQ!

There was a giant one at my parents when I was there last week - I informed my mother that spider-eradication was her job. Our guest commented on the violence of the evening (my mother was holding the fly swat at the time) so my mother had to explain that my dad and I are both phobic. We made her remove the body as well - I don't want to look at that either.

I'm kondoing dried carbs and pulses into frozen portions so they are more accessible to use.

I also sent pictures of some of my chair collection to my brother who needs some for the kids' bedrooms and he's going to take a couple off my hands. Then again, I'm storing 4 dining chairs and a table for him...
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Have been back at the KM quarry face all day which started with bathroom cupboard. Cupboard is walk in and runs the length of the upstairs from bathroom and you pop out behind our clothes in the bedroom - old house with some weird internal configurations. Cupboard is roughly triangle shape with a large oak beam just above head height, well my head height - OH struggles to stand up in it so rarely ventures in only to retrieve towels from shelf. Anyway I have worked myself through it from both bedroom and bathroom - large bin bag full of heaven only knows ready for CS. Lots of half empty older than 12 months old sun cream emptied and bottles recycled and a bedroom floor now covered in......well......... detritus . What is really annoying I seem to do this area of the house on a regular basis and still it produces more:mad: Feeling a little weary with it all. :(

DD2 been busy all day too. Ventured into her room with some clean laundry and she has a list on her desk which starts 'do I feel guilty about it?' and then 'do I need it?' 'do I need two?' 'do I use it?' 'have I used it in the last 12 months?' 'would I miss it if I lost it?' 'would I buy another one today?' and finally 'do I like it?' Not sure if this is her own personal list or one she has found, but its obviously what she is working to! :D

Think I am tired so will leave it for now and start again tomorrow.....
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • milasavesmoney
    Options
    GQ I ordered an almost good a new Six Supper Sid yesterday for Sequoia. She will be 2 1/2 yrs. at Christmas and is already 'reading' her books. I think she will be a great age for this cute book.
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) She'll love it, it's a charming book and very true to the opportunism of our feline friends.

I was colonised by The Queen of Sheba, the temperature-sensitive mongrel oriental (prob part Burmese) this evening when she climbed on my lap for a snuggle.

Her sister, Wild Thing, is outside somewhere. She went outside in about March and will be due back indoors circa November. She's happy to visit with you if you go out, and appears on the doorstep several times a day for food. Not to actually set paw across the threshold, y'unnerstand, just to whinge pitifully like a starving waif who's not been fed for at least an hour.:rotfl:
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • maddiemay
    maddiemay Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    OH and I are about to begin kondoing the contents of our touring caravan, current one had to be emptied and go the the dealers this week and new one collected in 11 days. The configuration of the storage is very different and will not be quite as easy to use, but all that we will gain will outweigh this.

Garage and any spare floor area in sitting room now covered in boxes, crates and piles of bedding, every item will be looked at, not so much for the joy factor, but rather can we manage without this?

1 colander in CS bag, having been replaced with lighter folding one:D (only had 1 to start with though):rotfl:
    The best thing about the future is that it comes one day at a time. (Abraham Lincoln)
  • Serendipitious
    Options
    The spider-talk reminds me I must refresh my supply of conkers this autumn.

One conker in every corner really does keep them away.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

• luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Celebrated DH's 60th today with an "open house" - around 40 people dropped in during the afternoon.
    Although we had asked people not to bring gifts as we're just glad he's still alive after two major illnesses in the last decade, some people were very generous - and in excellent MK manner Nick & Nack did not feature. He has several vouchers, edible and drinkable gifts, a lovely "button hole" made from rosemary and a scented rose from a 95 year old friend and a picture drawn by an excited 9 year old.

Such a happy day!

And, I have just caught up with GQ's exploits http://static.moneysavingexpert.com/images/forum_smilies/biggrin.gif
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • Charis
    Charis Posts: 1,302 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »

Life usually kicks you around a bit as you age, and it's a rare person who exits in the prime of life, firing on all cylinders. Most of us will have a decline in our faculties before the end.

Which is why, mes amies, we must all hold true to what personally brings us JOY and follow that star, whatever it is for us, and no two of us will have the same loves.

Thank you for that GQ, I've had to make a very difficult decision today and that has confirmed what I need to do. I worry too much about what others will think and will say. I had yet another birthday last week and at my age they are a memento mori. Having said that I still have one ancient ancestor alive and he got there by doing what personally brought him joy, regardless of what anyone thought.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure