Flight delay and cancellation compensation, Jet2.com ONLY

Options

Comments

• Vauban
    Vauban Posts: 4,736 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    JPears wrote: »
    Usual desperate J2 BS. Ignore and get on with it. :)

It is desperate, isn't it? I'm now actually starting to feel embarrassed watching them write this nonsense. Toe curling.
  • supermac9
    Options
    stevemej wrote: »
    Just received the latest claptrap letter from J2
    firstly our claim is now time barred because their ts+cs say we wont sue after 2 years.
    2ndly the tech delay was extraordinary circumstances.
    3rdly the issue of whether a tech issue constitutes an extraordinary circumstance has been referred to the ECJ.
    4thly - they note our ref to the Huzar case but the ECJ sit above the national courts.

I am beginning to wonder who at Jet2 is coming out with this total nonsense - I expect they have a competition among the staff each morning to come up with the most unbelievable tripe possible.:eek:
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    Just received the latest claptrap letter from J2
    firstly our claim is now time barred because their ts+cs say we wont sue after 2 years.
    2ndly the tech delay was extraordinary circumstances.
    3rdly the issue of whether a tech issue constitutes an extraordinary circumstance has been referred to the ECJ.
    4thly - they note our ref to the Huzar case but the ECJ sit above the national courts.

Where is our National Enforcement Body when you need them? and why are they not using their powers to force compliance, not just with the law, but also their own guide lines.

It's about time they issued their first £5000 fine.

They are a disgrace to allow this to go on!
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    edited 16 December 2014 at 8:11PM
    Options

They said the exact same thing to me after they had read my objection to a further stay pending Van der Lans . My (credit to Batman) argument is:-

The EU directive 261/2004 is for member states to decide via the law of the land of that state, and to be interpreted as such, no other country, cannot be overruled by any other pending case in some other country.

and I posted in the Huzar thread:-
    Absolutely, by its own definition, it is the Supreme Court and any decision made is binding on all lower courts.

Not according to 2Birds, their response to my Court submission is
    2Birds wrote:
    our client considers that the outcome of van der Lans is directly applicable to your matter as any ruling on the same shall be binding not only on the national court on whose initiative the reference for a preliminary ruling was made but also on all of the national courts of the Member States.

I guess our Supreme Court doesn't really matter then?

To play devils advocate ~ Do J2 have any wriggle room left?
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Tyzap
    Tyzap Posts: 2,112 Forumite
    Options
    They said the exact same thing to me and I posted in the Huzar thread:-

My (credit to Batman) response is:-

The EU directive 261/2004 is for member states to decide via the law of the land of that state, and to be interpreted as such, no other country, cannot be overruled by any other pending case in some other country.

To play devils advocate ~ Do J2 have any wriggle room left?

I guess it will all become clearer when the Bott test case goes to court in Liverpool some time in February. As this is where the more experienced aviation Judges are, I expect this will be the best court to hear the case. It could be very interesting!

It seems to have been listed pretty quickly too, wonder if thats a sign the Judges are keen to get their teeth into it?;)
    Please read Vaubans superb guide. To find it Google and then download 'vaubans guide'.
  • Mark2spark
    Mark2spark Posts: 2,306 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Surely we can somehow muster up a petition to the CAA, quoting jet2's continuing body swerves, and *insist* that they now start dishing out fines?
    And if not, then we might have the first step towards getting the CAA kicked off as *our* NEB?
  • NoviceAngel
    Options
    Mark2spark wrote: »
    Surely we can somehow muster up a petition to the CAA, quoting jet2's continuing body swerves, and *insist* that they now start dishing out fines?
    And if not, then we might have the first step towards getting the CAA kicked off as *our* NEB?

Well to be fair to the CAA, they have said that the airlines SHOULD now pay up.
    CAA wrote:
    1. The UK Civil Aviation Authority issued this press release on the 31st October 2014.
    Andrew Haines, Chief Executive of the CAA, said:
    “…. the court’s decisions in these cases bring legal clarity to this issue and we now expect airlines to abide by them when considering claims.

This is also important information for anyone who has made a claim for flight delay compensation but is waiting for a decision pending the outcome from Supreme Court. Following the decisions in these two cases, airlines should not continue to put claims on hold. Where airlines have already put claims on hold, the CAA expects airlines to revisit them and pay compensation for any eligible claims.”

After reading their powers, they are not without teeth, so YES fines should be forthcoming from the CAA, but we all know that the CAA will say that since this is subject to Court proceedings that they will decline to comment further.

The CAA are simply not fit for purpose, and I think Bott will have a better chance sorting this mess out in February than any petition. I recall 111KAB had posted that he/she had written to everyone in power and it was blanked by all and sundry.

There have been complaints not just to the CAA, but MP's MEP's Chief Execs of the airlines - nobody wants to take action, they really are that scared of the airlines.

I recall Vauban posting along the lines of 'my work is done' following the SC ruling, one of the few times that PtL Vauban was wrong. I think that our work will never be done, not until some of the airlines cease trading, they would rather do that than pay compensation to passengers.

You will have noticed the new battle - Jet2's 2 yr limitation, so just when Huzar and Dawson comes to an end, we start again!
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • NoviceAngel
    NoviceAngel Posts: 2,271 Forumite
    edited 16 December 2014 at 11:36PM
    Options
    Tyzap wrote: »

Re-posted since we were talking about their powers.

and
    111KAB wrote: »
    Having written to my MEP, my local MP, the UK representative on the EU transport committee, the EU ombudsman, the EU leader of the transport committee, the CAA all more than once - I have given up - the final letter was from the secretary to the EU ombudsman (the ombudsman is actually an Irish woman) and it was apparent that she like all the others mentioned have not got a clue.

• mrtonygibson
    Options
    I have today received a letter from the district judge at Mansfield CC refusing the "stay" requested by 2 birds in light of "paragraph (2) of the order of the supreme court in cases of Jet2.com v Huzar and Thomson Airways v Dawson". Court date 18th Feb at Mansfield CC. Looks like this judge is going to enforce the SC decision if I read this correctly.
  • JPears
    JPears Posts: 5,086 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I have today received a letter from the district judge at Mansfield CC refusing the "stay" requested by 2 birds in light of "paragraph (2) of the order of the supreme court in cases of Jet2.com v Huzar and Thomson Airways v Dawson". Court date 18th Feb at Mansfield CC. Looks like this judge is going to enforce the SC decision if I read this correctly.
    Fantastic news. Hopefully the Judge will also ask Jet2 why their defence should not be struck out at this stage. It is interesting that your date is just after the "Bott Case" in Liverpool, Feb 15th. I wonder if the judge is being canny, taking lead from the result of that case?
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family