PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

More Charity Shop Bargains for 2018 & beyond!

Comments

• Lucy5781 wrote: »
    Found a new retail park unit sized CRUK a couple of towns over. Nothing I wanted in there but first time I've seen a big unit like that.

oooo where is it ? never seen anything like that either!
    £1000 Emergency fund challenge #225 - £1000.00.00/£1000- End of Baby Step 3 (A work in progress)
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    foxyloxy11 wrote: »
    oooo where is it ? never seen anything like that either!
    Me neither! (Hopes it's towards Essex rather than Beds ;))
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • kboss2010
    kboss2010 Posts: 1,466 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    Am enjoying catching up on this thread :)I found one exception, a local charity shop for the homeless in Inverness. It used brown tags but everything was v reasonably priced. Hence I left with goodies a-plenty :D

IM(admittedly limited)E, Scotland has some great chazzers.

I second that!

Edinburgh has a c/s map of where to find every charity shop in the city & what type of things they sell, Dunblane has one of the best c/s I've ever been to & Aberdeen is full of barely-used expensive stuff donated by wealthy oil workers who have cash to splash (albeit a bit reduced lately due to the oil downturn).

Over the years I've had bargains galore, my highlights being a £400 ski jacket for £5, a £60 pair of boots for £4, a nearly-new Barbour quilted jacket for £10, a Mulberry backpack for £8, multiple pairs of lined 90"x90" curtains for £10 each, new TM Lewin shirts for £3.50-£4, £45 heavy metal candelabra for £3.50, £40 wicker lampshades £1.50 each, £20 metal stag hook for £2.50, £30 wooden frames for £1 each, original artwork watercolours of local scenery for £5, £25 egg basket for £1, and a whole host of expensive label hardly-worn clothing for less than £5.

The locals/independents tend to be much better value than the big names.
    “I want to be a glow worm, A glow worm's never glum'Coz how can you be grumpy, when the sun shines out your bum?" ~ Dr A. TappingI'm finding my way back to sanity again... but I don't really know what I'm gonna do when I get there~ LifehouseWhat’s fur ye will make go by ye… but also what’s not fur ye, ye can jist scroll on by!
  • Miró
    Miró Posts: 6,899 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Lucy5781 wrote: »
    Found a new retail park unit sized CRUK a couple of towns over. Nothing I wanted in there but first time I've seen a big unit like that.

We haz one near me...great barn of a place but sadly full of either overpriced quality stuff or just plain rubbish. Visited once but never returned :(
  • Miró
    kboss2010 wrote: »
    I second that!

Edinburgh has a c/s map of where to find every charity shop in the city & what type of things they sell,

Ooooh....details please?? Just booked an AirB&B in Edinburgh for May! :p
  • Went to an upmarket town during the week. The kind that used to have loads of antique shops but now, most are CS. First one I entered had those hand written labels; BHF I think? Saw a gorgeous red handbag in the window which I took down to have a closer look. Was a real leather Artigiano cross body/shoulder but with a top handle. Pricy at £9.99 but as far as I can tell brand new! Had to get it! The assistant kept saying what a good make it was, and seemed really surprised at the price. Love it, and looking forward to using it.
  • VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 26 February 2018 at 9:55AM
    Mir! wrote: »
    Ooooh....details please?? Just booked an AirB&B in Edinburgh for May! :p
    Actually you just need to follow your nose. Come out of the Royal Mile and head towards JK Rowling's cafe....

ETA: I found Edinburgh chazzes expensive compared to those in Inverness but I did find some amazing heavy birth certificate scrolls there. (See my posts on this thread from August 2016 for a reminder). But otherwise I was very impressed by the city.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Miró
    Pollycat wrote: »
    I've recently rediscovered Clarks footwear. :)

Me too Pollycat - they seem to have improved no end in terms of quality and style recently. (Or maybe I'm just getting old and appreciating comfy shoes now...tee hee)

I must have been influenced by the chilly weather today, (no snow here as yet), as I purchased a burgundy coloured Sherpa Fleece duffle coat by Amalina. BNWT and wonderfully thick and cosy...£4 on the half price rail at the community chazza. Never heard of the make before but found it online and it's currently on sale at £20, (reduced from £35). :j
  • DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,905 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    VfM4meplse wrote: »
    IM(admittedly limited)E, Scotland has some great chazzers.

And how! I think it was Stirling that reshod son with change from a fiver when he would otherwise have squelched for the rest of the week. And possibly Perth that had that teapot which made the entire tent 'holiday' in Crieff endurable. (Well, alongside the Lorne sausage & the haggis suppers.)

Ever hopeful Himself hiked back to Colne by public transport - no more pancheons or seriously vintage cooking kit. The family foray around Chorley paid off handsomely in Denby Ode (12 plates! OK in 3 sizes, but immaculate nick Plates!) as well a some delightful Lovatts & Langley little things that will augment my pension in decades to come.

Oh yes & son now looking a lot warmer, more cheerful & slightly less beanpole in a green Craghopper fleece (not seen the inside of a washing machine, and labels & zips immaculate) for £2. Some days dressing teens is a doodle. ( I just wish they happened a little more often.)
  • I have had quite an amazing charity shop day today. I came home with so many lovely items.

Phyllis Tuckwell:
    An olive Cath Kidston blouse with a first white, pink and blue floral print- £3.50
    A navy blue Joules shirt with a bold flower print in sky blue- £3.00
    A bright pink wool Seasalt scarf- £2.50
    A lovely sherpa-lined navy Crew Clothing hoodie- £7. Absolutely love this, I'm wearing it now and I am very toasty warm :D

Oxfam:
    A set of three (white/pink/sky blue) BNWT Tu vest tops for £2.99
    A BNWOT off-white thick-knit The White Company waterfall cardigan- £14.99. I know, I know, it's a really pricey item, but it is immaculate and I love it so much, plus it would have been anywhere from £110 to £179 brand new, judging by similar ones on the website :eek:

Cancer Research:

A square silk scarf with elephants and flowers (A lot more tasteful than it sounds :p) on a navy background - £2. I bought it on a whim after I tried on a Fenn Wright Manson silk blouse which didn't fit. I googled the maker, Jim Thompson, and realised that he was a luxury Thai silk brand, with scarves of the same size at $143 on his online store :eek: . Needless to say I am thrilled with this!

Absolutely brilliant day! :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport