'No More Buying Books Until I've Read the Ones I've Already Bought' Thread

Comments

• lynseydee
    lynseydee Posts: 1,802
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Did anyone who had finished a book and wanted to get rid of it ever use Readitswapit? I was wondering if you used anything else now since they closed down.
    Did owe £9,951.96

Now helping hubby pay off loan. Finally paid off :j

Owe Virgin [STRIKE]£5,950.00 [/STRIKE]at 0% til June 2009 £3,427.89. Owe HSBC [STRIKE]£5,460.78 [/STRIKE]2.9% til May 2010 £3,703.07. Owe Post Office £1,676.62 at 0% til September 2010
  • lynseydee wrote: »
    Did anyone who had finished a book and wanted to get rid of it ever use Readitswapit? I was wondering if you used anything else now since they closed down.

Sorry, I never used them myself. Always intended to and then when I eventually got round to it they'd closed down:(

Is BookCrossing (I think that's the right name) still on the go? It's not a swap site though, just leaving books for others to find and enjoy.

I used to sell books (and buy lots too:o) on GreenMetropolis but that too went out of business a while back.

Good luck in finding somewhere:beer:
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Just finished The Moon's a Balloon by David Nice - first of his autobiographies. Really nice easy read. Will look to get the others.

Loved The girl under the Olive Tree by Lea Fleming. First book I'd read by this author. The story was set in the war and modern day. It flipped between the two eras nicely and you didn't get confused with the characters. Another author I would read again.

Happily Ever After by Harriet Evans is another read. Chic lit. Nice easy storyline.

I'm currently reading Not Dead Yet by Phil Collins. Another autobiography written with an easy style that you can almost hear him rattling his story - this is in book form. On the kindle is The Love Verb by Jane Green. Again, another easy read. I'm hoping to read 60 books this year - time willing and all. Wish me luck.
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • So, I finished When The Children Came Home by Julie Summers and the random number generator selected Your Sacred Self by Wayne Dyer. I persevered for a day but could not get my head round what he was talking about so have reluctantly abandoned it.

Am now reading My East End by Gilda O'Neill. And it's a signed copy too!
  • IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,726
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Finished my 2nd book Deception Point by Dan Brown and currently reading Evil Under the Sun by Agatha Christie.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
  • Finished My East End by Gilda O'Neill. I did enjoy reading it but it seemed to take forever to get through it. Very small print. I don't have the eyes I used to!

Random number generator has selected number 88, which is A Year in the Life of the Yorkshire Shepherdess by Amanda Owen.
  • CurlyTop
    CurlyTop Posts: 379
    First Anniversary PPI Party Pooper Debt-free and Proud!
    Forumite
    Well I'm on book 16 of my 60 books to be read on Goodreads challenge and i'm quite pleased as I am trying not to buy and to read those on my kindle. I have 116 to read, some of which have been on there for years. I have decided to strut with the letter A for author surnames.

I've recently read Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine by Gail Honeyman. I'd wanted this since reading the hardback reviews but now it's out in paperback. DH bought it for me, bless him, along with The Chilbury Ladies Choir by Jennifer Ryan which is my night time reading material as I try to avoid bright light before sleep. Set in the war and tells the story of the ongoing of a local village; seems to be okay up to now. Eleanor Oliphant, I personally thought, was a great read; tells the tale of Eleanor and what are seen as her 'quirks'.

Back to the grind. All this getting y ourself lost in a book is hard; but someone has to do it :T:
    I got there - I'm debt free and intend to stay that way. If I haven't got the cash, it doesn't get bought. It's as simple as that.
  • InaPickle
    InaPickle Posts: 5,968
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    I bought a book!

It's 'The Millionnaire Next Door' by Thomas J. Stanley and William D. Danko.

I bought it second-hand so it has only cost me a few pounds and it's supposed to be one of the bibles of personal finance, so it's not so bad, right? Right?!
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• I would like to do this. I have ordered 2 books A Brief History In Time by the late Stephen Hawking and The No Spend Year. (Ordered using amazon vouchers which I earned doing surveys)
    I am going to start with Harry Potter and The Philosphers Stone.
    No Spend November 2/15 and SPC 134
  • IrishRose12
    IrishRose12 Posts: 1,726
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Another 2 books done and in the donation pile.
    Pay all debt off by Christmas 2024 £537/£3,500£1 a day challenge 2024 - £91/£730 Declutter a bag a week in 2024 6/52Lose 24lb - 3/24lbs Read 1 book per week - 5/52Pay off credit card debt 7/100%
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.8K Discuss & Feedback