Help - Windows 10 Forced Upgrade

2»

Comments

• grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    erb wrote: »
    If I had stuck with the original Windows 8.1 and not updated to Windows 10 it would be supported until 2020.
    January 10, 2023 in fact for 8.1 :-)
    You could always revert to factory build (assuming the factory partition is still there or you did an image backup).
    If I was you I'd try an upgrade from media (having backed up data files and/or created a backup image first); and have an ethernet cable handy if wifi doesn't immediately work;
    PS. that's without me researching Qualcomm Atheros drivers for W10.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    The issue may be the Atheros driver for the wi-fi, these are found in large swathes of laptops of all brands and they are a total pain in the proverbial backside. Not really helped by the fact Atheros was taken over by Qualcomm many years back so now drivers are only available from the laptop manufacturers (often they're older than what's already on the laptop) and any new updated "driver" is through the so-called "unofficial" site.

The latest Windows 10 driver for the AR956x is here:
    https://www.ath-drivers.eu/download-driver-for-Atheros-chipset-with-id-83-and-Windows10-64bit.html
  • erb
    erb Posts: 547 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Well since I got the message about it upgrading in the background nothing appears to have happened yet. Will wait and see what happens at the next routine monthly update on Tuesday 10 October 2017.
    Regards
    erb :)
  • erb
    Well Windows 10 Creators version was finally forced on me this week and up to now the only problem I have had is with the printer which now has cartridge problems. I don't know if this is coincidence that both the colour and black had the problem immediately after the Windows upgrade. I have done everything suggested such as cleaning the contacts, resetting the printer and even downloaded the latest printer driver but both refused to work. I did have a new spare black cartridge which I put in and got the printer working on the new single cartridge. Looks like I will have to buy a new colour cartridge and see if it works then. Perhaps it was just coincidence but the printer was working fine the day before the upgrade and had the cartridge problems the first time I tried it after the upgrade. The printer is an HP Deskjet F2200 and I use compatible cartridges.
    Regards
  • Neil_Jones
    Neil_Jones Posts: 8,912 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I suspect its coincidence, when you switch printers on they tend to do a short head-clean routine and every once in a while prior to a job if they haven't been switched off for a while. This uses ink and it's not uncommon for the ink to drop below the warning level after this. The Epsons are PITA at doing this because you can change one cartridge, do a charge cycle and then one of the other colours runs out because of the charging!
  • grumpycrab
    grumpycrab Posts: 4,989 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Neil_Jones wrote: »
    The Epsons are PITA
    I hate (trying to fix other peoples') printers so now I just say - but a cheap HP Instant Ink printer.
    This is a big push by HP to become dominant in the home printer market. Very good value at the moment but expect the Instant Ink subs to rise when everybody has been hooked.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
  • erb
    Got a new colour cartridge today, installed it and printer is again working fine so it was just a coincidence that both cartidges stopped working after the Windows 10 Creators Upgrade. Alls well that ends well.
    Regards
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family