PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

What colour bedding do you have and how much?

Comments

• gonebust
    gonebust Posts: 170 Forumite
    purpleivy wrote: »
    I don't get it. If cats/pets go on beds and you avoid white bedding because it would need changing every day...... Just because you can't see the filth on dark bedding, doesn't mean it's not there.

It's like a pair of jeans

With jeans you will wear a few times because much doesn't really show. You brush them off and wear them on

Get a cat ( like mine did this morning ) who's dug a flower bed before jumping up on white/cream/light bedding and even though you brush it off, you can see paw prints. On dark bedding, the paw prints aren't noticed

End of the day, those of us who allow pets on beds, no matter what we say, aren't exactly house proud :)

Right now I'm watching the rabbit and the cat chase each other about the living room. And the rabbit isn't litter tray trained :rotfl:
  • K9sandFelines
    K9sandFelines Posts: 2,568 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic Combo Breaker
    :rotfl:.... Should have read teal.

As ror the cats, its a case of with patterened bedding you can just get away with it going straight in the wash. I know if my bedding was lighter or white, then It would be constantly in the washing machine. I've had oil brought in onto my bedding before now, when it was relatively new still :mad:
    GC £150 a month for food, toiletries and cleaning Jan £134.58 Feb £137.18 Mar £103.76 as of 6/4/24
    Forever learning the art of frugality
  • LameWolf
    LameWolf Posts: 11,234 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    I have three sets of bedding, each consisting of a duvet cover, a fitted sheet and two pillowcases. We also have a second pillow each, and the underneath ones have cheapie cases from @ldi which don't match the sets, but who cares - they're underneath..
    • Pale green, with a sort of "patchwork" pattern on the fabric of the duvet cover and plain green pillowcases, that we bought when I first moved in with Mr LW back in 2002(the fitted sheet wore out, so we use a plain green sheet that we had kicking about at present and I do "hospital corners" on it.)
    • Dark green with a black-and-white Celtic design, bought from Skye Batiks when we visited the Isle of Skye in 2007 - this one has a pale green fitted sheet that we use with it.
    • Pale blue set with Chinese-style embroidered flowers, bought in the JL sale about three years ago - this has a lilac fitted sheet used with it that originally went with another set we bought in 2002 that wore out.
    As a dog-sitter, I occasionally have canine guests whose owners allow them to sleep on the bed, and so we also allow it, as we try to replicate what they do at home as much as possible; if this is the case, I don't use the pale blue set whilst they are here, as there is a small risk of claws getting caught in the embroidery.

YL that is awful, that some pondlife would steal your bedlinen.:mad:
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.;)
  • YorksLass
    YorksLass Posts: 1,707 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    LameWolf wrote: »
    YL that is awful, that some pondlife would steal your bedlinen.:mad:

Yep, one of the drawbacks of living in a block of flats, I'm afraid. The yard where we dry washing is fenced off but open to anyone as there's no gate (down to H&S rules, classed as an emergency exit in case of fire). And it's on the opposite side of the block to our property so I can't even see it from my windows. :(

I could almost feel sorry for them if they're so desperate but still puzzled as to why they would take just one of the sheets and not the pair. :think: Oh well, what goes around comes around so maybe one day......
    Be kind to others and to yourself too.
  • elf06
    elf06 Posts: 1,547 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have 3 'sets' of bedding. Each 'set' has a duvet cover and 2 pillow cases then I have 2 fitted sheets and 2 other pillow case covers so everything sort of matches. The sets are all in purple type colours and the sheets and pillow cases are purple too so they go with whatever set is on the bed.
    I have one set I don't use much as it has lovely little sequins on it which scratch your face if you forget to turn them over before going to sleep haha!
    One of the other sets is from Mr T and is over 10 years old and the most recent addition was only bought at Xmas time from Primarni (I treated myself as my 3rd set had been eaten by our rats!!).

Have to laugh at the washing stealing.....its pathetic isnt it. I live in a flat too and recently someone stole my washing line pole!!
    Emma :dance:

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • Purple_kitten
    Purple_kitten Posts: 3,030 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    We have 3 sets, 1 x turqoise high quality cotton one from Ikea, and the other 2 in a teddy fleece both deep purple from Dunelm not ness, quality but very cosy. They get changed weekly.

As others have mentioned we also have pets, that moult twice a year for 6 months of the year... as part of the family they sleep where they want.:rotfl:
  • Three sets for our king size bed and two sets for the day bed in my sewing room.

Two of the king size sets are white Egyptian cotton each with eight pillow cases, we read in bed so have four pillows each, we chuck two each out when settling down to sleep. The third set is one I bought twenty seven years ago, a Dorma set of country diary so pretty, the duvet cover is getting a bit thin on the top edge, but the rest is in good condition.

We have a churn dash quilt I made on the bed as well.
  • Teacher2
    Teacher2 Posts: 546 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    I used to buy duvet covers from Laura Ashley (in their sales) to match the curtains but the quality has deteriorated over time so the one we bought thirty years ago is still going strong while the others have worn through.

I have replaced each patterned duvet which has 'died' with white bedding but, because they are not so durable, I have to iron them to make them look fabulous on the bed.

However, I have discoved white seersucker looks great and does NOT need ironing. Result!
  • juliettet
    juliettet Posts: 726 Forumite
    First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Totally agree with the Laura Ashley, Teacher 2. My old sets have taken over the newer ones for durability. I have never paid full price but now too go for white everything. The White company have good sales and wash very well. I have two cats who sometimes sleep on the bed. I put fleeces on to only have them moved so they could lie on the cool cotton! Oh well it is true that another poster said that they need washed anyway so whatever.
  • NelliePie
    NelliePie Posts: 280 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I cant remember where I read it but I did read a study saying that people get the best nights sleep on plain (-ish) white bedding - which is why most (all) hotels have some variation of white sheets. I don't know whether its true or its a pseudo effect but since switching from funky bright coloured patterns to simple white sheets a few years ago my partner and I have noticed an improvement and wouldn't go back. Our current ones are Egyptian cotton from Argos and have the weave going different ways so it looks stripey.
    Little One born 19/12/18
    5/5/18 I became Mrs Pie
    FTB June '17 - £144k mortgage, £134k remaining
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills