PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

landlord bashing

Options

Comments

• agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    OP hasn't come back to add anything further to the discussion so I suspect his intention was to try and stir up an argument.

I guess you missed post #23 then (although to be fair it didn't add much).
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    rentmekid wrote: »
    so why the hatred
    because it is not an accident that makes you choose to be a LL, therefore you need to behave in a professional manner, not bleat about how ill served you are by "forced" circumstances
    or is it jealousy?
    yes
    Also, its not the Landlords fault that someone cant afford a house.
    agreed, see above
  • dekaspace
    dekaspace Posts: 5,705 Forumite
    I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    As a renter and someone who has had years of bad (and some good) landlord experience what I say and what I notice is that many people don't mind landlords owning more than one property as much as landlords increasing the amount they own which means less properties around for first time buyers and also landlords doing bare minimum to get a property up to scratch then jack prices up to renters, thats if they even bother to do much or any work in first place.

I had previous landlords complain when their properties were empty despite the properites I rented from them being at top range of local rents and being in average at best condition when renting them to me, rather than reduce the rent they want to a reasonable level for both parties they keep prices at same despite local rentals decreasing in price and often better quality.

That and the things I dislike is when I spend days scrubbing a property top to bottom when I move, even borrowing carpet cleaning machines being told property isn't clean enough, or how they have found a few bits of dust in a corner means I was lying when I said I cleaned, or how like a 10 year+ item of furniture is falling to pieces its somehow my fault.

Thats the sort of thing I don't like about landlords.
  • LdnFtB
    LdnFtB Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    Its not the Landlords fault that someone cant afford a house.

Yes, yes it is, but that's a big subject for another day. Suffice to say that 80% of 1 bed flats and 50% of 2 bed flats are owned by landlords who for a variety of reasons can outbid FtB's (at least until recently).

But I think this thread - AST Eviction due to pregnancy - is a perfect example of why landlords get (and deserve) so much grief. Complete ignorance of the law on the part of the landlord leading to an illegal attempt at eviction, and no doubt accompanied by an attitude that they're doing the world a favour by providing housing.

In over a decade of renting I've met plenty of those types of landlords - amateurs who think that tenants should be grateful for what little they do - and the decent ones have been few and far between.
  • AdrianC
    AdrianC Posts: 42,189 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    LdnFtB wrote: »
    YSuffice to say that 80% of 1 bed flats and 50% of 2 bed flats are owned by landlords
    I'm sure you'll be only too happy to produce a source for that statistic?
  • LdnFtB
    LdnFtB Posts: 100 Forumite
    Options
    AdrianC wrote: »
    I'm sure you'll be only too happy to produce a source for that statistic?

Sure, it's the English Housing Survey.
  • Pennylane
    Pennylane Posts: 2,707 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I appreciate my landlord. He does repairs quickly, charges a fair rent, and leaves me in peace. I anticipate he will be completely reasonable about the return of my deposit at the end of my tenancy.
    But:

*Some* landlords treat their tenants like money trees.
    *Some* landlords are terrible, whether through ignorance or malice.

Private landlords differ from most housing associations in that their primary motivation is to get return on an investment, and not to provide a public service. With a different set of structural incentives, housing associations would continue to provide housing, while many/most landlords would be investing elsewhere.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with landlords investing in rental property. There will always be people who want to rent, and there's no reason private individuals shouldn't be suppliers in that market.

However, the current batch of consumers in the rental market includes a substantial number of people who would prefer to buy, but can't. Some of those people would never be able to buy under any circumstance. But, there are a good number of people, especially young people, who would stand a decent chance if certain structural/economic factors were different. One of those factors is the popularity of BTL as an investment, or, perhaps more accurately, recent policy history that has incentivised BTL investment. Most obviously, landlords simultaneously increase demand and decrease supply of houses for purchase, contributing to housing price increases. LL's also drive "the market" for rental prices -- people pretend the market somehow dictates prices, when in fact the market is dictated to by one or more parties in a transaction.

So, no, it's not Landlord Jane's fault that Tenant Bob can't buy a house. However, Landlord Jane very well may have made it incrementally more difficult for Tenant Bob to buy a house.

Good to hear and I appreciate OUR tenants. They are a lovely couple, they've been in the house 6 years and it's like a palace! Rent is paid by direct debit every month and we have never put their rent up in all that time until this year.

If they have a problem it is dealt with the same day as we live close enough to be able to do that.

There are great tenants and there are great landlords as well as the terrible ones we hear about.
  • Crashy_Time
    Crashy_Time Posts: 13,386 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    https://audioboom.com/posts/5793636-sell-up-hold-or-expand

When the government is the biggest landlord basher you know that you should REALLY know what you are doing before getting into the landlord game?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    OK, and if there was no demand for buying that property from owner-occupiers?

Then the price would drop until there was demand, surely?
  • Red-Squirrel_2
    Red-Squirrel_2 Posts: 4,341 Forumite
    Options
    They sound very unusual figures. Can you give any examples?
    £430 mortgage for a 90% LTV would be around £105k purchase price.

Or are you meaning interest only mortgage payments? If so, that may allow you around £230k purchase price, but those loans are very hard to obtain these days without having some kind of other repayment vehicle in place. What were you thinking of, and how much monthly allowance are you making?

And what about when interest rates rise, as they will inevitably do?

In the building where I used to live, I paid less than £250 a month for a flat purchased for around £80,000. The year I moved in, the identical flat next door was rented out for £600pm. I've since moved out but I just checked on Rightmove and those flats are now going for £750pm. If I still lived there I'd have remortgaged and probably be paying even less than that £250, as well as having gained a lot of equity from the rise in value.

Even when buying isn't instantly cheaper than renting, it usually is in the long term.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure