Anyone using Qustodian?

I've seen an advert for a smartphone app called Qustodian, and I wondered if anyone here had heard of it or was using it. It sounds a bit too good to be true, but scammers don't usually go to the trouble of writing their own iPhone apps so I thought I'd ask here before I dismiss it.

The basic premise seems to be that you create a profile stating your likes and dislikes, and they pay you for viewing adverts through their app or mobile website. There's nothing on their website to suggest how much you get paid, but you can cash out via PayPal or bank transfer when you reach £10.

The only details they ask for when you register are mobile number, gender, year of birth, postcode and email address. Am I right in thinking that other than cold calling and sending spam emails they couldn't do anything harmful with that data? The domain WHOIS records for qustodian[dot]com look sensible, and Googling "qustodian scam" doesn't return anything horrible.

What does anyone else think? Legitimate or likely to cause trouble in the future?

Comments

• Just did a quick Google search - they have over 50,000 members.

No other reviews I saw though, but I did just look for literally 5 seconds
    :DDEBT FREE SINCE 25.07.14! :D
    Debt at Highest (November 2010) - circa £40k
  • Antispam
    Antispam Posts: 6,636
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    QustodianUK you need to ask permission to post as a rep

What's a company representative?
  • *Steve*
    *Steve* Posts: 12 Forumite
    Well, since I can't find anything negative I'll bite the bullet and sign up. Someone has to be first after all :). Although I think it'll take a while to get to the £10 threshold and see if they really pay out, I'll try to report back here after a few days with my general impressions of what's involved and how much I'm earning (or not!)
  • Avon2001
    Avon2001 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Is this an Android Ap and Iphone one or both? I can't see this anywhere on the site.
  • Avon2001
    Avon2001 Posts: 99 Forumite
    Just thought to check the Spanish version. Apparently this works for:

IOS (Apple)
    Android (HTC, Google, Motorola, etc)
    Blackberry
    Symbian (most Nokias and some Samsung and LG)
    Windows Mobile (most HTC, LG, etc)
    Java (most Sony Ericsson)

Suggest this be translated for the English version.
  • *Steve*
    Avon2001 wrote: »
    Suggest this be translated for the English version.
    It has been, but as far as I can see you can only get to it after you've logged in which defeats the point. There are dedicated apps for Android and iPhone, and a mobile website which should work on most smartphones.

After about 24 hours, I've had three adverts and earned £0.18. One of the adverts was a short video, the others were just plain text spread over two or three screens, followed by a link to a website. You don't actually have to do anything other than clicking through the advert to get the credit.

The sign up process took all of 10 minutes. Other than the information on the first page, they ask you to rate your interest in a series of categories from 1 to 5. You can go back and change this whenever you want.

Once you're into your account, you can optionally add more personal data (first name, last name, address and payment details). You can also select your favourite football team and choose to subscribe to the Football FanCast channel (you don't get paid for doing this, and since I'm not a football fan I opted out).

Finally, you can fill in a list of brands that you're interested or not interested in. I think it should be possible to do this from the adverts themselves, but in the iPhone app I can only find a button for 'Not Interested'. I've spent a few minutes tonight filling in the 'Interested' list manually, but it's a slow process.

Whilst this isn't a quick way of earning money, it'll be interesting to see how it develops over the next few months as more subscribers and advertisers sign up.
  • kingkano
    kingkano Posts: 1,977
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    *Steve* wrote: »
    It has been, but as far as I can see you can only get to it after you've logged in which defeats the point. There are dedicated apps for Android and iPhone, and a mobile website which should work on most smartphones.

After about 24 hours, I've had three adverts and earned £0.18. One of the adverts was a short video, the others were just plain text spread over two or three screens, followed by a link to a website. You don't actually have to do anything other than clicking through the advert to get the credit.

The sign up process took all of 10 minutes. Other than the information on the first page, they ask you to rate your interest in a series of categories from 1 to 5. You can go back and change this whenever you want.

Once you're into your account, you can optionally add more personal data (first name, last name, address and payment details). You can also select your favourite football team and choose to subscribe to the Football FanCast channel (you don't get paid for doing this, and since I'm not a football fan I opted out).

Finally, you can fill in a list of brands that you're interested or not interested in. I think it should be possible to do this from the adverts themselves, but in the iPhone app I can only find a button for 'Not Interested'. I've spent a few minutes tonight filling in the 'Interested' list manually, but it's a slow process.

Whilst this isn't a quick way of earning money, it'll be interesting to see how it develops over the next few months as more subscribers and advertisers sign up.

Like you I saw an add in my iPolls app and after a bit of research decided to give it a go. Its not that painful, tells you a new 'message' has arrived and you just click through the screens reading some text or maybe a video. It usually ends with you being sent to a website (bit annoying if you have more than one message to read on their system but not end of the world).

It says 8p per message, 4p per video. I've made 20p so far from 4 messages I think - in just a few days. Not going to pay the mortgage but its early days. Decent little earner for not much work I think.

If they get some coupons coming through and more advertisers in the loop could be very cool.
  • *Steve*
    After almost a week I've earned £0.30. Not quite as much as I'd hoped, but considering that it's a new service and that it involves relatively little work it isn't bad either.
    kingkano wrote: »
    If they get some coupons coming through and more advertisers in the loop could be very cool.

I agree with this, I really hope they can find enough advertisers to make it worthwhile. I've noticed that the last couple of adverts I've had have only paid 2p rather than 8p - I hope that isn't a bad sign.
  • kingkano
    kingkano Posts: 1,977
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    *Steve* wrote: »
    After almost a week I've earned £0.30. Not quite as much as I'd hoped, but considering that it's a new service and that it involves relatively little work it isn't bad either.

I agree with this, I really hope they can find enough advertisers to make it worthwhile. I've noticed that the last couple of adverts I've had have only paid 2p rather than 8p - I hope that isn't a bad sign.

I noticed this too.... guess those rates were just 'examples' lol. Atleast there are messages coming through, and as you say its still early days.
  • EmmaHerts
    EmmaHerts Posts: 313 Forumite
    I know this is an old thread, but wanted to mention that I have just been paid by this company and thought I should mention it for the benefit of others.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure