IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

update on UKPC practices in Scotland please

Options
hello, I'm new to this forum, so thanks for any help/advice you can offer.

yesterday I found a UKPC "parking charge notice" on my car (retail parking lot in Dundee), and after reading through the post "Newbies! Need help with a private parking ticket? Read this before posting!!"
I wonder if the section "If in Scotland/NI" still applies/should be taken into account.

i never got a parking fine before, so i'm a bit worried about ignoring it (if I should in the first place). If relevant, here's in brief what happened:

- I was in a job interview, came out 5 min past my parking ticket expire time, and literally found myself facing this UKPC guy sticking this yellow notice on my car windscreen (the car was parked in front of the office entrance);
- I tried to explain to him that i couldn't help being late (I simply couldn't leave the interview earlier) and asked if he could reconsider the matter. He said no and walked away;
- the notice says "parked after expire of paid for time in a pay and display bay". 100 pounds or 60 pounds if payment is made within 14 days.

For some reason, a) the time on my mobile phone (consistent with that of the office I was at), b) the time on the ticket machine, and c) the issue time on the parking notice differ: c) is 9 min later than a), and b) is 5 min earlier than a). Time is relative...

can you please advise? While I have to admit that technically I overstayed, the amount of money I have been fined with (given the circumstances) seems to be totally disproportionate...thanks!

Comments

• Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    Options
    The advice hasn't changed for Scotland.

Safe to ignore everything (except court documents)
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    There has been no change at all in Scotland.

And this is not any kind of "fine", so you still haven't got one.
  • pappa_golf
    pappa_golf Posts: 8,895 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    yes Scotland , ignore it , do NOT ring or email them

ironically in England/wales you could have sited a 10 min grace period in which to leave the site.

they can only pursue the driver in Scotland , and the method of independent appeal (which is written in law) <England / wales> is not available north of the border.
    Save a Rachael

buy a share in crapita
  • imageraw
    imageraw Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    Thank you very much Quentin for your prompt reply.

quickly, if you don't mind, when you say "court documents", do you mean I might still be taken to court for this? this is scary...
  • Quentin
    Quentin Posts: 40,405 Forumite
    edited 1 July 2016 at 10:54AM
    Options
    Not expecting you to get anything, but if you do then you should know not to ignore court docs.

Nothing scary intended

This is all covered in #1 of the newbies FAQ thread at the top of the forum
  • Herzlos
    Herzlos Posts: 14,688 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    imageraw wrote: »
    quickly, if you don't mind, when you say "court documents", do you mean I might still be taken to court for this? this is scary...

You *could*, but I don't think a parking company has taken a keeper to court in Scotland. There have been a couple of identified drivers, but they usually involve dozens of tickets and the parking companies either pull out or lose.

You're more likely to find a parking company in court due to being dragged there by Trading Standards, than to enforce a parking ticket.

Feel free to ignore entirely, they'll stop writing to you after about 5/6 letters.
  • imageraw
    imageraw Posts: 5 Forumite
    Options
    ok, thanks tons everyone for their advice!
  • Ralph-y
    Ralph-y Posts: 4,563 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    "For some reason, a) the time on my mobile phone (consistent with that of the office I was at), b) the time on the ticket machine, and c) the issue time on the parking notice differ: c) is 9 min later than a), and b) is 5 min earlier than a). Time is relative..."

UKPC .........

May be one for Parky ?

Ralph:cool:
  • fisherjim
    fisherjim Posts: 6,036 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    "i never got a parking fine before".

And you still haven't had one!
  • Elysander
    Elysander Posts: 99 Forumite
    Options
    Was this the Gallagher retail park? UKPC attempted court action a few years ago, but dropped the cases at the last minute. I have linked an article from the Dundee Courier which reported on the matter., along with a second article regarding this car park from the same paper.

UKPC 'manage' quite a few car parks in Scotland, including the Braehead shopping park in Glasgow which has over 6000 parking spaces - no doubt some people just pay up on receipt of a ticket, so this must be very lucrative for UKPC.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/dundee/139477/uk-parking-control-drops-court-action-against-gallagher-retail-park-drivers/

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/local/dundee/142699/new-owner-pledges-to-introduce-fair-car-parking-rules-at-gallagher-retail-park/
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure