Uncharted 4

Options
Chickabiddybex
Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
edited 26 May 2016 at 2:31PM in Gaming MoneySaving
Anyone played this one yet? I took some screenshots to show how brilliant it looks! (minor spoilers because they show where you go in the game but don't give away plot)

I think my fave the 5th one, the hallway. Just look at that reflection! http://imgur.com/a/qGXc6

It's a shame I didn't realise I could take screenshots until part way through the game. In my opinion the first few levels are the best looking!
Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com

Comments

• bazfez
    bazfez Posts: 15 Forumite
    Options
    Great game, the graphics are amazing. Have you completed it yet? The ending is great
  • Chickabiddybex
    Options
    Yes! I loved the ending. Both the immediate minigame and the epilogue. It was a great send off!
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • donnajunkie
    donnajunkie Posts: 32,412 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Would love to play it but don't have a ps4. I love 2 and 3, especially 2. Not too keen on the first game, it's ridiculously hard in parts.
  • Asl77c
    Asl77c Posts: 87 Forumite
    Options
    best playstation 3/4 series out there.
  • PenguinJim
    PenguinJim Posts: 844 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I took some screenshots to show how brilliant it looks!

If you care about how brilliant your games look, then Uncharted 4 isn't really a good example.

Like you've shown in your screenshots, a lot of the foliage is low-quality and copy/pasted, the lighting/shadowing is inconsistent, and the models are relatively... well, not low-poly, but not high either. And, once again on PS4, there's an inexplicable lack of anisotropic filtering, which is flagrant on about half of those shots. :eek:

There's a comparison here which shows that many older games look quite a lot better.

Then again, for me the beauty of the graphics in Uncharted (and other games like RDR) is in the animations - and it's quite difficult to capture good animation in a screenshot!

Personally, I'm not too bothered by graphics overall - the art is more important to me, and as long as the graphics don't diminish the art much, then it's fine. (Also, a high, consistent frame-rate is always nice!)

So, low frame-rate aside, I like Uncharted 4! While I preferred The Last of Us, the Uncharted games are all good (although the first is perhaps a bit too rough to go back to now) - slightly dumb, enjoyable Indiana Jones games. Just don't go in to Uncharted 4 expecting it to look brilliant compared with other games from the last three or four years.
    Q: What kind of discussions aren't allowed?
    A: It goes without saying that this site's about MoneySaving.

Q: Why are some Board Guides sometimes unpleasant?
    A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Chickabiddybex
    Options
    Your link is to PC vs PS4 which isn't a fair comparison. Show me an older console game with better graphics.

That aside, I wasn't really talking about how great each leaf looks, I was talking about overall how it looks - the scenery is beautifully designed. Like you said - it's more about the art and the animation. (I don't have it to hand, but there's an excellent gif showing Drake rubbing his face and the detail is incredible!)

I was also impressed by how much attention to detail they put in. When you're inside Drake's house you can see people in the street moving around. When you look out into the horizon even though it's at a huge distance you still get cars moving etc.
  • PenguinJim
    edited 27 May 2016 at 1:56PM
    Options
    Your link is to PC vs PS4 which isn't a fair comparison. Show me an older console game with better graphics.

I'm sorry, I don't follow - that seems incredibly arbitrary. Why isn't it a fair to compare between those two gaming platforms, but you then say it would be fair to compare between one gaming platform and about thirty others?

If anything, it's not fair on the PC, because the PS4 costs so much more money in total! :eek:

Edit: wow, some people are being overly harsh on Uncharted 4's graphics. In the Metro's U4 review, they say "It’s impossible to understate just how amazing Uncharted 4 looks."! Really? It's one of the worst-looking games ever? So mean!

A: We very much hope this isn't the case. But if it is, please make sure you report this, as you would any other forum user's posts, to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
  • Chickabiddybex
    Options
    PCs are capable of more than consoles are, that's why it isn't fair to judge a game on the device it's played on.
  • PenguinJim
    Options
    PCs are capable of more than consoles are, that's why it isn't fair to judge a game on the device it's played on.
    I still don't get this "fair" thing you're talking about. Games are games. The best games look the best, and the worst games look the worst.

Pigeon-holing games into "PC/console" or "Sony/Microsoft" or "Pre-2000/Post-2000" isn't fair, IMO. It's segregating games needlessly, and I think that's at least partially contributing to the fanboy problem. If there was some sort of limitation on what consumers could get - for example, if you needed a special license or to be of a special family lineage to get an Xbox One - then I'd understood how treating the Xbox One differently to other gaming platforms would be fair, because not everyone could get a Xbox One.

But when everybody has access to everything, then surely it's fair to compare everything?

(Either that, or simply add the caveat "brilliant for a PS4 game", which is fair when looking at the poor quality we've suffered through on PS4 since launch - when compared with U4's 60FPS E3 trailer (and promises) and Sony's missed targets, it just shows how disappointing the PS4 has been so far.)

• Chickabiddybex
    Options
    How did people get on with the mini game? I used to be so good at it as a kid but I can't steer with the dpad any more XD
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure