What is the absolute minimum you need to survive on?

Comments

• Deep_In_Debt
    Deep_In_Debt Posts: 8,579 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Mortgage-free Glee!
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Is this over 10 months?

If so, switching to 12 months will reduce it to £105 pm.

It is over 12 months :eek::eek: Bit crap really and nothing I can do about it. Regardless though, it's still a stupid amount of money to pay. I just cut down on all my other expenses so that I can afford to pay the CT.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • thegreenone
    thegreenone Posts: 996 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Yep, that's Surrey prices for Council tax. Ours is £197 per month for a very small three bedroom bungalow.
  • Asiacat
    Asiacat Posts: 163 Forumite
    Greetings from Thailand :-

Costs in baht converted at the end

Rent 6000
    Electricity 600
    Water 85
    Phone 200
    Motorcycle insurance 100
    Petrol 1200
    Food 4500
    Visa 1900

Total = 14585 baht = approximately 281 pounds.

No council tax, no car related expenses, no television license to pay.
  • andyfromotley
    andyfromotley Posts: 2,038 Forumite
    Thanks for that AsiaCat, did you hear a grumble of envy from fellow DFW's?

Do you have to pay for health care?
    £1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - [STRIKE]£23,410[/STRIKE] 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
    !
  • esbm
    esbm Posts: 118 Forumite
    Wow something that really strike me from this how much people are paying on pricey phone contracts they're tied into....
    LBM Sept 2012 ~£44 Sept 15: £~5233
    £10/day May-Sept: £609.04 Oct: £19.255/£300
    Sell £1000 challenge £330.64/£500
  • Asiacat wrote: »
    Greetings from Thailand :-

Costs in baht converted at the end

Rent 6000
    Electricity 600
    Water 85
    Phone 200
    Motorcycle insurance 100
    Petrol 1200
    Food 4500
    Visa 1900

Total = 14585 baht = approximately 281 pounds.

No council tax, no car related expenses, no television license to pay.

Of course, for a true comparison, we'd need to know the average salary.
  • HappyMJ
    HappyMJ Posts: 21,115 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Bedsit_Bob wrote: »
    Of course, for a true comparison, we'd need to know the average salary.
    Minimum wage is 7,800 baht...not many actually earn that and you can't afford to live alone on it.

Many non-qualified working couple (assuming 1 full time/1 part time) households earn around 15,000 maybe 20,000 Baht... so it's actually very tight.

Average can really mean anything but most reasonably qualified jobs could pay at least 30,000 baht.

Highly qualified jobs depending on qualification and experience pay around 100,000 baht or much more. That's only £1,900 per month.
    :footie:
    :p Regular savers earn 6% interest (HSBC, First Direct, M&S) :p Loans cost 2.9% per year (Nationwide) = FREE money. :p
  • andyfromotley
    andyfromotley Posts: 2,038 Forumite
    esbm wrote: »
    Wow something that really strike me from this how much people are paying on pricey phone contracts they're tied into....

Yes its almost always a feature of those who post SOA's on here looking for help to sort their debts. (including mine) We have become almost addicted to paying significant sums to have the latest iPhone etc.
    £1000 Emergency fund No90 £1000/1000
    LBM 28/1/15 total debt - [STRIKE]£23,410[/STRIKE] 24/3/16 total debt - £7,298
    !
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,833 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Yes its almost always a feature of those who post SOA's on here looking for help to sort their debts. (including mine) We have become almost addicted to paying significant sums to have the latest iPhone etc.

Thing is they are soo handy to have, my life is on my phone, I can do my banking, buy stuff, find my way anywhere, check the weather, pay a bill, the list is endless, and most contracts average around £35 a month, so it does add up over the year.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Muhren
    Muhren Posts: 1,703 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    sourcrates wrote: »
    Thing is they are soo handy to have, my life is on my phone, I can do my banking, buy stuff, find my way anywhere, check the weather, pay a bill, the list is endless, and most contracts average around £35 a month, so it does add up over the year.

I can do all that on my HTC, I got the phone for nothing and pay £10 month!
    LBM: Dec 2012 - Debt £38,180/ Now £0.
    DFD - 17/04/2016
    Gambling: The sure way of getting nothing from something.

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure