Tesco wrong prices thread part 4 - please post your finds here

Comments

• ben500
    ben500 Posts: 23,192 Forumite
    Had a great day yesterday. OH was due at a meeting 60 miles away so I decided to give him a lift and check out the Tesco's on way back. :j
    First branch I got 3 Topside roast beef joints, was supposed to be £7.19 kg but they'd left one label up still saying £7.15 kg. CS was muttering that the point of sale had correct price displayed on big placards and I should have seen that. I did but wasn't going to tell her that. The wrong price was beside the part I was at. Also got a gammon joint that was shelf marked at £7.98 but pack said £8.48. Managed to get a refund of £28. Because I had paid by cheque she refused to give me cash back, :mad: gave me Tesco vouchers. Complained and I got the manager through but he still insisted I had to take vouchers. I took them but was smirking anyway cos I knew I would spend them in the next Tesco's on my list. :rotfl:

2nd Tesco's - Tesco's own smoked salmon 400g, was shelf marked at £3.65 but pack price was £4.04. Also noticed the 200g pack was marked wrong too but left that. Got 5 packs. Paid for it using my Tesco's vouchers from previous shop and got cash back. £20.20.

3rd Tesco's - Tesco's HL turkey steaks, was on offer at £5.22 but pack still said £7.22 kg. Paid for it half cash and half by voucher I got for complaining about Revels sweets to Mars. They sent me a £5 voucher for my inconvenience. :T Got 4 packs at £10. CS tried to say that she would refund the four packs and only charge me for 2 packs, but I pointed out their policy and she gave me the full price back.

In all I got nearly £60 worth of meat and spent -£5 because of my voucher.

OH was in the car waiting for me whilst I was doing all this and was mortified, but didn't hear him complaining when he had smoked salmon for his tea.

Think I've had my fun with this thread now, my extended family have had quite a few free meals because of it, but it's time to hang up my hat. Enough is enough. Too scared I end up banned from my local branch.
    PS, my local branch had the same mistake with the smoked salmon so I'd check it out. I didn't have the guts to try it again today. :o

Whilst you ponder cosole yourself with the thought that thousands of people will not have noticed these mistakes and been pillaged as a result and that your actions MAY only may have saved a few thousands more a bit of money, but then again they have to act on the information they have paid you for but are unlikely to do so sadly.
    Four guns yet only one trigger prepare for a volley.

Together we can make a difference.
  • wallace_3
    wallace_3 Posts: 153 Forumite
    ben500 wrote:
    That's quite rich of them considering they overcharged you by 54p!!

Personally I would have considered the situation and thought about what I didn't like about it, and the thing foremost in my mind is that if it happened at Tesco I would have had refund and replace, then I would let SAINSBURY know how I feel and ask them what they intend to do about it...

Sainsburys are only required to refund the difference, so they would probably tell you to go and shop at Tesco if your prefer their policies more!

Anyway, with Sainsburys currently struggling to regain second place in terms of market share, they need to cut costs as much as possible - I very much doubt they would risk further losses by copying Tesco.
  • ben500
    wallace wrote:
    Sainsburys are only required to refund the difference, so they would probably tell you to go and shop at Tesco if your prefer their policies more!

Anyway, with Sainsburys currently struggling to regain second place in terms of market share, they need to cut costs as much as possible - I very much doubt they would risk further losses by copying Tesco.

Not much chance of them doing it unless asked though is there? I would make the point if enough people do they will feel the pressure, the same goes for Asda, Somerfield et al, it is up to us as consumers to drive the market and not let the big boys dictate to us.

I certainly wouldn't have walked away with 50p of a 54p overcharge, and like I have said before the options for the supermarkets is get it right or face prosecution, they need all the help they can get in the absence of adequate staff training and if they are going to use their client base to notice mistakes and ensure price integrity then I think it only right they should pay for that service!

• katskorner
    katskorner Posts: 2,972 Forumite
    The thread is going off topic again...

Found Tesco Value Red Leicester cheese mispriced this morning at £3.94kg instead of £3.89kg. Didn't get any because not keen on cheese but worth a look if you do like it.
    3 kids(DS1 6 Nov, DS2 8 Feb, DS3 24 Dec) a hubby and two cats - I love to save every penny I can!
    :beer:
  • PeteM
    PeteM Posts: 520 Forumite
    Found the cheese also, think it's marked up as 3.96 P.K.G., whereas the shelf is £3.89.

The CS bod (and even the person who works in that dept.), found it hard to understand the overcharge situation. They say, that the individual items are different because they weigh different!!

Yes, I say, but it's the unit price I'm talking about - two managers later, they see what I mean.

The refund on the Gammon Joint was near enough instant, but they kept stalling on the RL Cheese!

Has anyone had any problems with multi-buying an over priced item?

Lets hope this situation goes Gammon, and on, and on!!
  • MrSmartprice
    MrSmartprice Posts: 17,625 Forumite
    The law relating to this is clear, I posted it earlier in the thread.

Yes, the pack price is what is charged. But the law is that "Price" means:

-The total amount the consumer will have to pay to get the goods,

-AND any method which has been or will be used to calculate that amount.

This means that the overcharge can be on the price per Kg, as well as the net price.
  • I claimed for some Honeyroast ham, from the Deli which came up at a higher price than the displayed ticket. It took them longer to work out how many grams were in a Kg - they even tried to weigh 100g of ham and a kg of ham!!! Eventually they worked out I was right!
  • Wig
    Wig Posts: 14,139 Forumite
    Re earlier question,...has anyone tried to multibuy an over priced item....If tescos wanted to I suspect they could refuse to pay up, if you took them to the small claims court, they could argue that you knew the item was mispriced and were attempting to obtain goods by deception.....in fact this arguement as it involves a criminal allegation might be enough for tesco to ask the judge to move the claim into the law courts where they could recover from you if they won, their legal expenses.

However, I don't know if the defendant (tesco) can move a case based on an alledged criminal act of the plaintiff (you). I do know that if the Plaintiff in the small claims makes as part of their claim an allegation which the defendants view as making the defendants actions possibly criminal in nature, then they (the defendants) can transfer the case to the law courts. Where costs can be recovered. Hope that's clear.
  • ben500
    Wig wrote:
    Re earlier question,...has anyone tried to multibuy an over priced item....If tescos wanted to I suspect they could refuse to pay up, if you took them to the small claims court, they could argue that you knew the item was mispriced and were attempting to obtain goods by deception.....in fact this arguement as it involves a criminal allegation might be enough for tesco to ask the judge to move the claim into the law courts where they could recover from you if they won, their legal expenses.

However, I don't know if the defendant (tesco) can move a case based on an alledged criminal act of the plaintiff (you). I do know that if the Plaintiff in the small claims makes as part of their claim an allegation which the defendants view as making the defendants actions possibly criminal in nature, then they (the defendants) can transfer the case to the law courts. Where costs can be recovered. Hope that's clear.
    There is absolutely NO WAY purchasing more than one item or bulk purchasing an item that is overpriced could be construed as attempting to obtain or any other crime for that matter, It is the DUTY of the retailer to ensure their price indicators are accurate in description NOT the customer if they offer refund and replace then so be it, they cannot restrict the amount of refunds to any individual on the basis that they have previously received refunds due to overpricing, they could if they wanted to modify their policy installing restrictions on replacing where overpriced but NOT refunding if you have been overcharged it doesn't matter how many times an overcharge is an overcharge and you are entitled to refund of ANY overpayment.

• redfox
    redfox Posts: 15,338 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    this thread is going off topic again :naughty:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts