TMTI Cancellation? can it be done

Comments

• OneADay
    OneADay Posts: 9,031 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    lisahobden, the two things are separate - insurance for phone and this relatively new gadget helpline.

Both have to be cancelled separately - all the main retailers dish out both of these (without any option to opt out at point of sale).
  • Graz-D
    Graz-D Posts: 101 Forumite
    I used to work at TMTI / Gadget Helpline which are a totally seperate service to Carphone Warehouse, E2Save, etc - and all I can say is I'm glad I don't work there anymore.
    Moneysaver and proud :)
  • simon_says_3
    simon_says_3 Posts: 184 Forumite
    edited 18 February 2010 at 2:45PM
    lisahobden wrote: »
    I bought a phone from Carphone Warehouse and immediately cancelled the insurance. I have an email from them, dated 26 january which confirms the cancellation and states that they will not take money from my account. However, TMTI have taken £17.94 from my account today.

I phoned my bank and although they can ensure no further amounts are collected, I have to phone TMTI to cancel the policy - on an 0870 phone number at my expense! Shocking how a high street company tries to get away with this complete scam...

cancel it online here: https://secure.tmti.net/vip/

you will also receive a letter in the post for confirmation.
  • Just found out that they have been taking money from my account for 3 years and the phone went along time ago as well. They say they will refund 2 payments. Thank you to everyone for making me aware. I feel slightly silly. However, I think something should be done regarding this company.
  • mobilejunkie
    mobilejunkie Posts: 8,460 Forumite
    edited 9 March 2010 at 3:37PM
    You can't protect consumers from their own ineptitude I'm afraid. This "service" is clearly labelled as part of the deal at the point of sale. It isn't hidden away and no-one is forced to buy if they don't like it. Neither are they forced to carry on paying if they don't wish to. "Services" like this and insurance attached to the deal means the deals are better. I prefer the choice and if I get it wrong I can't blame the companies concerned, annoying as (my) mistake would be. One thing's for sure; it would never appear on more than one of my bank statements before I killed it off, but having enjoyed dozens of free contracts I have managed (quite easily) to avoid EVER paying one penny for the compulsory offerings. It really isn't that difficult!
  • susan47
    susan47 Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I bought an iphone last month from Carphone Warehouse and I had plenty of warning about the phone insurance and the gadget insurance, and there were clear instructions how to cancel either if I wanted to. I have chosen to keep both of them, although initially I thought the gadget insurance would be a waste of money and I'd probably get rid of it.

However, as soon as my phone arrived I was clueless as to how to set it up, I'd never had a phone like it before and nobody to help me. So I rang the gadgetline and they were fantastic - the guy spent about 2 hours (online chat, so it didn't cost me anything) explaining everything to me, from how to insert the sim card (!) to how to make my own ringtones, download apps, etc. I was so impressed that I decided there and then to keep it. I know that £17.94 seems a lot of money - but it's only charged every 6 months, it really only works out at £2.99 a month and I reckon it's worth it for peace of mind.
  • Noticed some posts about not finding details to cancel TMTI. There are plenty of posts below about logging onto the site, sending emails, writing letters.

I searched my emails for TMTI, found one in my junk with the details I needed:
    Reference No:
    Account No: (Bank Account Number)
    Email Address:

Went to the link posted below by others that looks like:
    secure tmti net / vip /
    (as new to this forum I cannot post links)

Put the details in, clicked search, done, cancelled. :j

Will check my bank account online for the DD and cancel it myself if necessary.

I am new to this forum, but I buy mobiles for 5 members of family for many years and cancelled TMTI/GadgetHelpline/Mobile phone Insurance many times. Also used Dialaphone and Mobiles.co.uk cashback for many years.

HTH.
  • This wont really help the people who have already been charged by these robbers but it might help those still in the 30 day free period. I set up a new account with dialaphone and got the free 30 day gadget helpline (tmti) included about 3 weeks ago. Still waiting on the welcome letter with the ref code to cancel the contract so i emailed the [EMAIL="vip@tmti.net"]vip@tmti.net[/EMAIL] to tell them i wanted to cancel but didnt have the ref number as they hadnt sent me a letter. No reply so i emailed them again, and again and today was the 6th email to them with no reply. Ive tried ringing the helpline but they are always "currently receiving a high level of calls" I checked to see if there were any new direct debits set up in my bank account but the only one there was 'policy service admin' which is the insurance for dialaphone which ive already cancelled. Apparently tmti wait until the last minute to set up the direct debit and then withdraw the £17.54 before you get a chance to cancel it, crafty gets. So ive emailed consumer direct to let them know about tmti's practises, printed off every email i've sent to them and just contacted my bank to ask if they can stop a direct debit from being set up and glory be they can!! :T So just ring your bank and tell them to stop any direct debits from a company called tmti and they wont be able to steal your money!!!
  • call 0800 0493049 and press number 4 then give phone number and they can cancel it, they say no money will be taken! i will use the dd guarantee and the financial ombudsman if they do - i think they need shutting down - they give me an extra stress and waste my time!!
  • bbruce
    bbruce Posts: 369 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    sc52 wrote: »
    Thank Goodness for threads like this.

Indeed!
    I spotted a DD they set up and managed to cancel it before they managed to draw on it.
    They'll get the message I've cancelled when it gets refused!

Learn from the mistakes of others - you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure