The MSE Forum will be undergoing some maintenance this evening. As a result, some users may experience temporary performance issues. Please use the Site Feedback board to report anything major. Thank you for your patience.

Should the UK be a part of the European Union?

Comments

• g0recki
    g0recki Posts: 23 Forumite
    I've never had my say over Oxfordshire's membership of England, or England's membership of the UK, or the UK's membership of the EU.

Why does only the last one of these merit a(nother) referendum?

Anyway, if we were to have a referendum and the result was to leave, it would trigger a recession that the public voted for.

The EU is far from perfect. It is too big and far too opaque. But there's lots of problems with the UK too - that doesn't mean the best solution is for different bits of the country to leave.
  • Ken68 wrote: »
    I think it is too late, too much invstment and can't see member states giving us an easy ride if we chose to leave.
    Makes sense for them to push us out before that.
    DON'T BUY BRITISH will be the slogan in the EU.

It is a two way street, remember that we buy more from Europe than we sell to them. There would be threats etc. as we contribute net £8 billion. Are the CEO's of BMW, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Fiat, Peugeot/Citroen, Renault, Fiat, Bosch, Siemens etc. etc. going to say okay we will give up that business or lose a large percentage because of higher tariffs? It is also worth remembering that we cannot negotiate a trade agreement with anyone unless it is done by the EU for the EU.

George Mc
  • stevemcol wrote: »
    Have you read the terms of the 1970s referendum? Do you think it in anyway represents the current face of the EU? We've been nibbled to death by ducks since then with treaty after treaty.

Absolutely spot on. It is worth remembering that when there was a referendum in 1975 we were told 'don't worry folks, it's only a trading club'. We were clearly and comprehensively conned.
    Now that it is turning out to be more of a EUSSR it is time for a vote. No one under the age of 55 has had the democratic right to vote on our future. If you don't do something about it how are you going to explain that to your grand kids when they ask 'what the hell happened'? Why did you give our independence away? Was it yours to give away in the first place!

George Mc
  • Having two questions gives a skewed result. I want us out of the EU and don't wish to renegotiate.
    If my desire not to renegotiate is counted on its own (rather than as part of a pair of questions), then it could appear to a biased observer that it is a vote to stay in the EU without renegotiation!
    Two question referenda will produce muddled results.
  • I don't understand the question. The UK is part of the EU. We had a referendum in the 1970s when we voted to stay in. You can't keep having referendums just because someone diidn't like the result of the last one.

The UK did not have a referendum in the 70s on the EU. That referendum was whether we wanted to remain part of a Common Market, or free trade association.

There were assurances at the time that no British sovereignty would be lost as a result, which have not only proved false but we now know that Edward Heath lied about it. He knew full well that the plan was "Ever closer union", in other words progress towards a United States of Europe.

In any case, do we want to be part of such a corrupt, wasteful, undemocratic organisation? An organisation founded on lies and deceipt? An organisation that set out to achieve its aims by keeping those aims from the people? Sorry, count me out.
  • Should the UK be part of the EU? Yes
    No

Should the UK renegotiate, so it is less integrated within the EU? Yes
    No

This just shows how David Cameron could manipulate the question in any referendum on the EU.

There are two small words missing which could make all the difference to the result and those are, "IF YES" after the first question.

My answer is "NO" to BOTH questions, but I suspect from the results so far that people who want out are also voting for renegotiation. If you want to withdraw from the EU, there can be no renegotiation about LESS integration. Out is Out.
  • Gus360 wrote: »
    Most of our trade is within the EU and our large companies have EU partners. The recent budget problems need to be addressed but I can not understand people who want to leave the EU.
    Have they traveled in Europe? Many countries have better trains, roads, trams and have a better lifestyle. Not everything is perfect of course but we should be playing a bigger part at the heart of the EU to our benefit.
    I would say to doubters, drive around Europe and I think you will change your mind.

Yes I have travelled and worked in Europe. No I want no part of the EU thanks, I prefer to be able to vote for who makes my laws, not have them appointed as with Herman van Rumpuy and Jose Manuel Barosso.
  • JRG
    JRG Posts: 14 Forumite
    Why do I have to answer both questions?

If I answer No to the first question, then the second question is irrelevant.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

To janiebquick:

1. We didn't vote to stay in the EU, we voted to join a Common Market. We certainly didn't vote to become subservient to unelected moneygrubbers in Brussels.

2. Following your logic, there would never be another General Election.
  • Nick1973
    Nick1973 Posts: 18 Forumite
    Goflyfalco wrote: »
    Should the UK be part of the EU? Yes
    No

Should the UK renegotiate, so it is less integrated within the EU? Yes
    No

This just shows how David Cameron could manipulate the question in any referendum on the EU.

There are two small words missing which could make all the difference to the result and those are, "IF YES" after the first question.

My answer is "NO" to BOTH questions, but I suspect from the results so far that people who want out are also voting for renegotiation. If you want to withdraw from the EU, there can be no renegotiation about LESS integration. Out is Out.

I voted no to both questions for this very reason. Why would you want to renegotiate on something you don't want in the first place? It doesn't make sense.
  • YANA
    YANA Posts: 41 Forumite
    I don't understand the question. The UK is part of the EU. We had a referendum in the 1970s when we voted to stay in. You can't keep having referendums just because someone diidn't like the result of the last one.

This is absolutely incorrect. We voted for a Common Market and not a Federal Europe, as those in power have subsequently admitted was the real agenda all the time. We were lied to then and we are being lied to now.
    Day in day out I see nothing but harm and cost from the EU.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure