Job Seekers Allowence Eligibility??

After graduating uni last July I kept on my part-time job (12 hours a week, minimum wage), hoping to find something full time before long. However, 3 months later I was still working 12 hours a week. The job was in my univeristy town, where I lived whilst studying. But after graduating I moved back home, and it took an 1hr 1/2 bus and train journey to get to work and back. My work was often spread out over the week (3 or 4 hours a day), so I paid a lot in travel expenses and lunches, compared to the actual hours I put in. In October I decided to start a part-time course (2 days a week), which would run for 6 weeks. However, my employer refused to let me have these 2 days off for the 6 week duration of the course (my hours were not fixed, but given to me on a week-to-week basis).

It was then I decided to hand in my notice at work. I genuinely thought the course would help me find a job, and that I could use the rest of the week to look for one properly. I applied for Jobseekers Allowence, and was told I may not be approved as I had given up work voluntarily. I completed a form, explaining in great detail why I gave up my job, and eventually I was approved. However, after 3 weeks I was sent a letter saying there would be a change in my JSA - I would no longer be paid as I gave up my previous employment voluntarily, without "sufficient enough reason".

After recieving this letter I chose not to appeal the decision - I thought it would be too much hassle, and expected to be employed soon as I was attending quite a few interviews. I extended my interest-free graduate, which I lived off very carefully whilst (still) jobhunting. Now it is mid-January and I am still unemployed. I just cannot strike lucky. I am not even being picky over what I apply for. I rarely get replies from retail jobs, and any kind of office work I find requires "experience" I don't have.

Right now I am almost out of money and stuck as to what to do. My mum keeps telling me to re-apply for Jobseekers Allowence, as its been 12 weeks since they 'changed' their decision. However, I don't believe I will be approved again, as the fact remains - I still gave up my last job. I don't particularly want to be claiming off the state, but I have next to nothing left, and no income whatsover. I want more than anything to work, but it seems a degree and willingness just isn't enough these days.

Has anyone been in a similar situation, or know anything more about JSA? Do you think I could apply again successfully? Surely I must be entitled to something.

Comments

• What you should do immediatly is,go to your local Citizens advice Bureau they will give you the right advice,or Welfare rights office,it`s true you will not get jsa if you pack your job in,for a few months,I think.

You may qualify for income support.
    A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    El sabio muda el consejo, el necio no.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Yes, immediately apply for JSA again, as the sanctions only last a limited amount of time. You need an income and that is why JSA exists, to ensure you have very basic living expenses while looking for work. Good luck, visit CAB as previous poster said and apply straight away.
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • deemy2004
    deemy2004 Posts: 6,201 Forumite
    Is not JSA eligbility subject to the amount of NI contributions, though there is income support (or whatever its called these days), which is means tested.
  • Fran
    Fran Posts: 11,281 Forumite
    deemy2004 wrote:
    Is not JSA eligbility subject to the amount of NI contributions, though there is income support (or whatever its called these days), which is means tested.
    When you first apply for JSA you are considered for contribution based benefit and that is Contribution based. If you are not entitled to that or anyway after six months, you would go on to Income based Jobseekers Allowance
    Torgwen.......... :) ...........
  • dmurray0
    dmurray0 Posts: 124 Forumite
    Apply for JSA again.The decision maker when looking at your case can impose sanctions but at their discretion. 26 weeks is the maximum. Explain the circumstances in great detail, explain your willingness to find employment and explain the reason you took the course is to enhance your prospects for employment. If the sanction is "bearable" or nil accept it, if not appeal it and enquire about hardship payments.

Hope this has helped.

Ps Even if you don't get payment of JSA your National Insurance "stamp" will be covered by the department, so it's still worth it.
  • Hello all, A friend of mine is about to leave the army. They have served their full time and have no option to stay on, so will leave with a small pension but will still need to work. Are they entitled for JSA?
  • AGB863
    AGB863 Posts: 521 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Hi,

Your friends entiltlement will depend on a number of things, does he he have a partner and how much will the small pension be? If there are children that adds to the claim through the Tax Credit System.

Allan
    I am a debt counsellor working in the voluntary sector - we don't charge our clients for the work we do!
  • amyparr
    amyparr Posts: 256 Forumite
    Hi,

I gave up my job in December to go travelling, however I have been called back to the UK for the foreseeable future as my partner's father has been diagnosed with a serious illness and has been hospitalised. I now no longer have a job, although am looking and hope to find employment soon. Should I sign up for JSA?
  • peter999
    peter999 Posts: 7,097 Forumite
    Following JSA Regs may help, if you read & find relevant section/circumstances:

Statutory Instrument 1996 No. 207
    The Jobseeker's Allowance Regulations 1996
    http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si1996/Uksi_19960207_en_1.htm

peter999
  • cifpower
    cifpower Posts: 6,502 Forumite
    If you get declined for JSA again - appeal. If you get JSA but are sanctioned you can apply for a JSA hardship payment which is JSA less 40% until the sanction period ends.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure