Need your help consumer rights china!

Options
Hi Lovely People

I am having a slight issue and wondering if any of you can offer any advice. Hubby recently purchased a pair of oakley flip flops online (at cost of 60GBP INC shipping) - paid on the credit card. Shoes came from China and when arrived they had sent the wrong shoes - adidas cheap beach shoes which retail at 16 GBP. I emailed the company who then asked for photographs which i sent, then then said that they would be checking with their warehouse and would get back to me.

They have acknowledged that the mix up was there fault but are saying that the original shoes are no longer in stock. They are offering me 10 EUROS refund plus telling me to keep the cheap shoes and sell them on to get my money back.

i have explained to them that this is unacceptable and i would like a full refund. but they have refused to give me this.

where do i go from here? do i have any consumer rights with this chinese company?
can i refuse to pay it on my credit card statement?
any help and advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• naedanger
    naedanger Posts: 3,102 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fairy28 wrote: »
    Hi Lovely People

I am having a slight issue and wondering if any of you can offer any advice. Hubby recently purchased a pair of oakley flip flops online (at cost of 60GBP INC shipping) - paid on the credit card. Shoes came from China and when arrived they had sent the wrong shoes - adidas cheap beach shoes which retail at 16 GBP. I emailed the company who then asked for photographs which i sent, then then said that they would be checking with their warehouse and would get back to me.

They have acknowledged that the mix up was there fault but are saying that the original shoes are no longer in stock. They are offering me 10 EUROS refund plus telling me to keep the cheap shoes and sell them on to get my money back.

i have explained to them that this is unacceptable and i would like a full refund. but they have refused to give me this.

where do i go from here? do i have any consumer rights with this chinese company?
    can i refuse to pay it on my credit card statement?
    any help and advice greatly appreciated

Try doing a chargeback (not a section 75 refund) via your credit card, with the reason being the item was not as described. Not sure if this will work but it is the only option I can think of. (I doubt legal action would be feasible - even if you have rights in China how will you complete the forms, and even if you won how would you enforce payment.)

Info on chargeback:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/visa-mastercard-chargeback
  • bris
    bris Posts: 10,548 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    You know not to rub salt into the would but they will also be fake.

When you see a bargain online do some home work as it's very rarely what it seems.
  • Spank
    Spank Posts: 1,751 Forumite
    Photogenic First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    What were the flip flops? on Oakley's own site £55 are the most expensive men's
  • paddyrg
    paddyrg Posts: 13,543 Forumite
    Options
    Which site did you buy through? If AliExpress or Ebay you have some protections. If direct, you can try your card company, but also be aware you've given your card number to someone demonstrably untrustworthy so should probably get it cancelled and get a new card.
  • Fairy28
    Options
    i know i literally could have killed my husband I'm usually so cautious.

it was through a site called mollies mobile grooming- which sounds dodgy to start with!

thanks paddyrg ill ask the credit card company for a new one.

they were oakley flip flops they were 60 with the shipping.

thank you naedanger ill try the cashback route
  • Fairy28
    Options
    although looking back on the website now it does say co.uk which makes you think it is in uk. :(
  • Lumstorm
    Lumstorm Posts: 242 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    An obviously dodgy website as who would name a shoe shop mobilegrooming if the name seems so different to what they sell stay clear.
  • photome
    photome Posts: 16,362 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    So many of these pop up Chinese websites and many complaints on here.

Not sure anyone has been back to say they have been successful with a charge back, would be good if you do come back and let everyone know.

In mean time have you asked hubby why he thought buying shoes from a site linked to dog grooming or any kind of grooming, was a good idea
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    although looking back on the website now it does say co.uk which makes you think it is in uk. :(

Common misconception among those unfamiliar with the online world I'm afraid.

Doesn't help now but a few tips for future:

1) Check the terms & conditions (do control & F if they're lengthy and search for "govern" and "registered") to see if they mention governing law and/or registered office address.

2) If they do offer a UK address, search the address in google - some of these companies use "virtual" offices which is nothing more than a PO box basically.

The big telltale signs of a chinese website are:
    Bad english, no contact address/email/phone number, just a "contact us" webform on the website, no/little compliance with uk laws, accepting many currencies etc.

The website youve purchased from seem to tick most if not all of those boxes.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • MothballsWallet
    Options
    My personal website is a .co.uk - but I am in the UK, so that's okay.

However, as unholyangel says, you don't have to be in the UK to have a .co.uk website: you can even pay a privacy service to keep your details off the registration record (and some of these privacy services will tell enquirers that it's not one of their customers' sites, which may be a lie).
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure