Debt Relief Orders (DRO) - Information & help thread

Comments

• Rabbitx
    Rabbitx Posts: 310 Forumite
    edited 14 May 2017 at 11:10AM
    In terms of point 1. When surplus income rises above a surplus of £50 a month, the DRO can be revoked, surely if my income increases, simply bigger payments will be made towards my creditors, keeping me within the £50 surplus? ... Or do the rules simply state that if my income is more than £50 pm greater than my budget, that I will automatically be disqualified?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Rabbitx wrote: »
    In terms of point 1. When surplus income rises above a surplus of £50 a month, the DRO can be revoked, surely if my income increases, simply bigger payments will be made towards my creditors, keeping me within the £50 surplus? ... Or do the rules simply state that if my income is more than £50 pm greater than my budget, that I will automatically be disqualified?

As your income increases you will get less help from benefits - there could also be more legitimate expenses - so it doesn't necessarily mean the limit will be breached. That's why I am careful to talk about surplus income.

But you are missing a fundamental point about DROs that you are forbidden to make payments to your creditors during the moratorium and they are forbidden from asking you for payment. It's about relief from your debts.

There are a couple of exceptions but that's the general rule.
  • Rabbitx
    edited 15 May 2017 at 12:02PM
    Thank you. What do you mean by more legitimate expenses?
    I am guessing you're referring to things like funeral costs, caring for someone, but
    For example, my washing machine May last another year or may not.
    I have never owned a car, but for employment in Ipswich, it is becoming almost essential.
    My daughter and her family are about to move some distance from me, and I want to be able to visit them.
    Am apprehensive about taking this step, though would welcome the relief from the anxiety.
    Should I provide monthly or weekly budgets?
  • fatbelly
    fatbelly Posts: 20,444 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Cashback Cashier
    Thank you. What do you mean by more legitimate expenses?
    I am guessing you're referring to things like funeral costs, caring for someone, but
    For example, my washing machine May last another year or may not.
    I have never owned a car, but for employment in Ipswich, it is becoming almost essential.
    My daughter and her family are about to move some distance from me, and I want to be able to visit them.
    Am apprehensive about taking this step, though would welcome the relief from the anxiety.
    Should I provide monthly or weekly budgets?

Legitimate expenses would include (but not limited to )

rent
    council tax
    electricity
    water
    gas
    travel costs
    phone costs (landline and mobile)
    tv licence
    food & housekeeping
    clothing
    haircuts

your intermediary will work with weekly or monthly figures
  • Rabbitx
    edited 15 May 2017 at 1:20PM
    Thankyou so much X. Will try to bite the bullet! I had no idea before the depression hit, how much support and understanding there is...Am enormously grateful.

...and yes...lol...definately need a haircut!...photo not provided, but wild and whimsical, and unprofessional!
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,825 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic

Rabbitz,

As Fatbelly points out, you dont make any payments to your creditors on a DRO, thats the fundamental point of the process.

Do your budget correctly, if you meet all the other criteria, and you have less than £50 per month left after all other essential expenses, (not inc debt repayments) then you will be approved.

Once approved, you simply wait 12 months, (the moratorium period) after which all your qualifying debts are written off.

You make no creditor payments, they cant ask you to pay either.

Please, if your unsure how the process works, check out this link :

https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/information/debt_relief_orders/Pages/dro.aspx
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • Rabbitx
    edited 15 May 2017 at 1:48PM
    Thank you. I have seen the detailed budget planner on here, and will work it out, and cross check it with with the information I have already given to the Money Advice Service. This is very reassuring.
    It's important for me to feel a sense of an ability to progress and care, without the glass ceiling / depression/ poverty trap, it's not just about money, but having doors open to opportunity! So may be this is right.
  • LT1001
    LT1001 Posts: 3 Newbie
    New member and doing my research/preparation, I have a few quick questions regarding a DRO if thats ok?

1) I am behind on my Council Tax (Bailiffs imminent but not a major concern). Do I continue to make the usual monthly payments direct to council and include this in my budget or does the entire years' bill default and go into the debt?

2) Do I declare joint debts (e.g. Council Tax) as a full amount or 50% (my share)

3) There are several small debts which have been sold on and not on my credit report, do I need to find the letters and include these. (if included it takes my debt to £20.5k and full on bankruptcy territory unless I wait until another debt is reduced)

I am married (both working) with 3 Children, we plan on doing 2 x DRO and waiting until our youngest is in Senior school in 2 years time before my wife goes to work full time. We can just about survive now, but there is almost nothing in the kitty for debts/unexpected costs.
  • sourcrates
    sourcrates Posts: 28,825 Ambassador
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    LT1001 wrote: »
    New member and doing my research/preparation, I have a few quick questions regarding a DRO if thats ok?

1) I am behind on my Council Tax (Bailiffs imminent but not a major concern). Do I continue to make the usual monthly payments direct to council and include this in my budget or does the entire years' bill default and go into the debt?

2) Do I declare joint debts (e.g. Council Tax) as a full amount or 50% (my share)

3) There are several small debts which have been sold on and not on my credit report, do I need to find the letters and include these. (if included it takes my debt to £20.5k and full on bankruptcy territory unless I wait until another debt is reduced)

I am married (both working) with 3 Children, we plan on doing 2 x DRO and waiting until our youngest is in Senior school in 2 years time before my wife goes to work full time. We can just about survive now, but there is almost nothing in the kitty for debts/unexpected costs.

Not sure on the council tax, but i would assume the full year will need to be included.

I do know all your unsecured debts have to be included in a DRO.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free wannabe, Credit file and ratings, and Bankruptcy and living with it boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.For free non-judgemental debt advice, contact either Stepchange, National Debtline, or CitizensAdviceBureaux.Link to SOA Calculator- https://www.stoozing.com/soa.php The "provit letter" is here-https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/2607247/letter-when-you-know-nothing-about-about-the-debt-aka-prove-it-letter
  • LT1001
    LT1001 Posts: 3 Newbie
    I have had time to do more research and if I am correct I have to include this years CT as I have lost the ability to pay by instalments, which is a kick in the proverbial as without that included on the debt list I would be comfortably under 20k.

Would I still be eligible for a DRO if I put all my effort into reducing the outstanding council tax arrears (as it is a priority debt) to the point where I'm under 20k? I know the cost of doing this is almost the same as applying for bankruptcy but I understand that's far more complicated than a DRO.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback