Due Diligence......who do you give your money to?

chipfire
chipfire Posts: 95 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
edited 23 May 2017 at 6:37PM in Praise, vent & warnings
What do you do to determine just who you are giving your hard earned money to?

Most companies undertake the process of due diligence to determine the status and solvency of companies they deal with. We too as individuals should undertake a form of due diligence and not just trust to luck.

Having just undertaken a construction project I have come across some interesting discoveries about some of the individuals and companies I very nearly dealt with.

Companies House website allows you to explore company info and especially about the directors. https://www.gov.uk/get-information-about-a-company

You can then search google news for the directors names.

I discovered details of convictions of the most serious kind from a director I nearly invited into my home and handed a seriously large deposit to.

I would now like to determine ways to explore court records which would be a more thorough means of identifying people I would rather not reward.

Anyone got any ideas to help avoid dealing with the type of people you really would prefer not to?

Comments

• IAmWales
    IAmWales Posts: 2,024 Forumite
    Most companies undertake the process of due diligence to determine the status and solvency of companies they deal with.

No, very few do. Even large government contracts don't go into the detail that you propose. They'll check the financial viability of the company, but not go sneaking into the past of the directors (unless the work required security vetting).
    I discovered details of convictions of the most serious kind from a director I nearly invited into my home and handed a seriously large deposit to.

Some people have criminal pasts. I'd judge them on their conduct now, not in the past. In the case of a builder you could ask for references from previous clients.
    I would now like to determine ways to explore court records which would be a more thorough means of identifying people I would rather not reward.

Maybe look for something more constructive to do with your time?
  • chipfire
    Some people have criminal pasts.....& futures.
  • chipfire
    edited 23 May 2017 at 9:43PM
    Here we go, lots of info here.
    http://www.thelawpages.com/court-cases/court-sentences.php

Search by Crown Court in your town here. http://www.thelawpages.com/legal-directory/crown-courts.php

Only someone with something to hide would dissuade you from knowing the truth. ;-)
  • angryparcel
    angryparcel Posts: 926 Forumite
    chipfire wrote: »
    Companies House website allows you to explore company info and especially about the directors.
    Only if they are a Limited Company, if they are a sole trader then companies house will have no info on them
  • chipfire
    Yes good point.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business