Would you take the cash? Poll Discussion

Options

Comments

• tozza
    tozza Posts: 19 Forumite
    Options
    Well done Malcolm88 and all the others who deplore this greedy,petty thieving,look what I got away with,I`m all right Jack society that we have become.
    Yes I`m over 60,yes I`ve never earned more than £15000 in a year for a job which entailed mostly 6 day weeks and 15 hour days,yes I was good at it ( Michelin Guide,Good Food Guide,Gold Medal Palme Culinaire ) and yes I never had to steal from anybody whatever the " Excuse ".
    The rest of you money grabbers ( as opposed to savers ) are welcome to the seedy world you are inheriting and I for one am very very glad my values were totally opposed to yours - £20 today,a bit of tax evasion tomorrow,brag a bit about it and influence a youngster or two and then " Well it must have been put in my shopping bag officer ! " or " Well it didn`t look as though anyone owned it - honest "
    I bet most of these sanitized Fagins all jump up and down about the "poorly paid exploited workers in foreign sweatshops" .
    You`re a sad sad bunch of losers and if you do not like my attitude let me know and I`ll leave the site - I have great respect for Martin but really do not wish to be associated with a bunch of two faced losers who can justify theft form anyone.......................................
  • XYZ_2-2
    XYZ_2-2 Posts: 9 Forumite
    Options
    Yes, definitely a shame the number of people that would keep it. I was shocked a couple of years ago at the number of my friends that told me I should have kept £20 I found on the way out of Tesco. I couldn't bear the though of some old arthritic dear dropping half of her pension money then coming back and asking if it had been found, to be turned away. 'There but for the Grace of God go I' (aka 'It could be YOU') say I, and I'm not over 30! I know the situation's different here, with the supermarket being the loser, but who are we to judge who's 'worthy' of the benefit of a mistake? Better to undo it if you can. I recommend going back to Martin's 'Kindness of Strangers' Musing for those who are depressed by this. As I always say, it's not that the world is getting worse, just that bad things sell more papers!
    :doh: Couldn't think of a 'unique' username
  • (Land_of)_Maz
    (Land_of)_Maz Posts: 11,738 Forumite
    Options
    omigod, scum of modern society. Noone will post their true opinions now will they?

I said i would keep the money, and i stand by that, but i don't think it's in my make up to mug old ladies or evade taxes etc etc (evade taxes, wonder how many ebayers could be accused of that!?)

The question was "What would you do?" Not what do you think of people who don't have the same moral fibre/values as yourself.

Now where did i put that ASBO.... ?
    I'm just a seething mass of contradictions....
    (it's part of my charm!)
  • economiser
    economiser Posts: 897 Forumite
    Options
    If you keep the cash you are a common thief, no more no less. No excuses.
  • Jakejakejake
    Jakejakejake Posts: 6,324 Forumite
    Options
    We payed for a £5 car parking ticket with a £20 note. They guy only had £5 change on him, so he went off to get the rest. He gave us £15 so we got free parking! Serves them right for charging so much :p
  • pippitypip_2
    pippitypip_2 Posts: 1,018 Forumite
    Options
    To be honest, I would keep the money - that is literally my honest reaction.

I've worked on a till before - if I made a mistake I wouldn't hold anyone else resonsible for it but myself.

If I noticed it at the till, I would always hand it back, but if you're nearly out of the shop yes, I probably would keep it.

I'm sure you'll find all those people voting that they would keep the money, aren't posting on this thread as they don't deserve abuse for giving an honest answer to a poll.

If you disagree, fair enough - surely you can retort by answering the poll in your own way, or posting that you wouldn't keep it yourself and why you disagree but this site isn't about abusing people for having a different opinion - this seems to be going a bit too far.

I don't usually post but I wanted to stand up for my yes, and though not proud, I'm not ashamed either. This (for me at least, having never happened) is entirely fictional and I'm giving an honest answer, so if someone wants to call me a thief and has enough time to waste in doing so - fair dos.

I like this site because it helps people and it's heartwarming for the thought and effort that people put into their posts, not for the threads where people 'have a go' - that in itself is a mentality that's not particularly helpful in society! Disagreeing leads to interesting discussions; abuse can never be positive.

Anyway to lighten this up a bit - loved the ASBO comment Maz3374!
    I know I'm in my own little world, but it's ok - they know me here! :D
  • pennypuppy
    Options
    What hope is there? Look at all the thieves. Stealing is wrong. No excuses. It's so upsetting to see so many people think it's OK.
  • Horlock
    Horlock Posts: 1,027 Forumite
    Options
    I'm pretty sure that my mom did this in Asda and was told that she could keep it for her honesty - may have only been a tenner though!
    There is no intelligent life out there ... ask any goldfish!
  • wensmcg
    wensmcg Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    I usually pay by switch as the shopping bill seem to get larger and larger each year! So it's unlikely to happen.

I have done both when given too much change or perhaps finding a fiver in the street, on occasion I have kept it and other times I have returned it or handed it in. But usually it's been small pennies. However it always feels better to have been honest! I applaud those who would be honest, but whatever our actions we only have to live with ourselves.

More often than not I wouldn't even notice I'm that harrassed by the time I get out of the shop! But I did once have a wee girl chase me down the shop from her till convinced she hadn't given me the cashback - when she had. And of course I told her so.

A couple of quid from the supermarket might be seen as justice for the times you get something home and half of it's rotten however!
  • wishiwasarichgirl
    Options
    i voted keep it and i don't give a crap what all the moral highground people think. :D
    Wiggly:heartpulsFB

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport