Poll Results: Would a £35m lottery win make you happy?

Comments

• pixwix
    pixwix Posts: 122 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £35million would make me deliriously happy. Even if it didn't - at least I could be miserable in comfort!
  • It wouldnt make me any happier.
  • I don't play the lottery, but were I to somehow come into £35 million, I can't really see that I'd keep more than £300k, which I'd use to buy a house in the same village which was just slightly bigger for when the time comes to bring up children (we're currently in a smallish terraced place which is fine for our immediate needs). I'd like to think I would be able to keep a clear head and give the rest to a charity like World Vision who can make that sort of money go a long way where it's really needed. Being able to (quietly) give that sort of money away would be pretty happy-making!

Does that sound improbable? I'd like to think that I would see this ideal through. I'm open to being tested! :)
    Have I said something useful?
    Want to know more?
    Click my name to visit my blog.
  • ela
    ela Posts: 54 Forumite
    Uniform Washer
    I would still do a monthly budget - or would I. I cant imagine myself not looking for half price offers and BOGOF's, I do it on auto pilot. ;)
    Dec, Nokia E71 | Mar, Senseo CM |
  • McSaver
    McSaver Posts: 609 Forumite
    You can give me as much money as you wish - £35 Million wouldnt be able to buy me happiness. You cannot buy a partner with it.
    Had £80,000 in Savings - All GONE!!! BYE BYE
    :A Single, 27, Aspie, Gooner :A
  • traceya89
    traceya89 Posts: 942 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    £35 million would do me nicely. The relatives who dont bother with us now will not get a penny. the people who have ripped me off with not paying back money they have borrowed would be persecuted still. (i would pay someone to upset them constantly!) I know there is a lot of money to try and spend but I would have great delight in not giving a penny away to any one of my relatives. Friends yes, relatives no.

I would buy equipment for hospitals that I believe is needed (i work in a hospital) but would not donate money because the business managers would use it not for what i wanted it to be used for, and I would give to people I believe need a helping hand in life. I would help childline and animal charities.

£35 million would definitely buy me happiness as I could buy a home in Florida for me to live in and one for my OH to live in in Australia.

I would also start shopping in Marks and Spencer and stop spending as much time in Tesco.
    Just about to give up!
  • scheming_gypsy
    scheming_gypsy Posts: 18,410 Forumite
    i'd be bl**dy happy.
  • gravitytolls
    gravitytolls Posts: 13,558 Forumite
    Yeah, course it would make me happy. I'd be financially secure, as would my childrena nd extended family (to some degree).

I guess the thing is is it better to be poor and miserable than rich and miserable. At least when you're not worrying about the mail arriving, it's one less thing to be miserable about.]

Alternatively, maybe worrying about the bills takes your mind off other things. I guess it depends on your perspective.
    I ave a dodgy H, so sometimes I will sound dead common, on occasion dead stupid and rarely, pig ignorant. Sometimes I may be these things, but I will always blame it on my dodgy H.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a grumble weed today, no offence intended ... well it might be, but I'll be sorry.
  • sluggy1967
    sluggy1967 Posts: 190 Forumite
    stingyscot wrote: »
    The thing all that money can't do is guarantee your happiness - you can't buy good health for yourself nor for your dearest ones, nor can you save yourself or them from accidents. Though at least you wouldn't be at the mercy of the NHS and NICE!

Absolutely, I would forgo a big lottery win for my husband to have a miracle cure from his illness. You have hit the nail on the head!
  • juliaw
    juliaw Posts: 50 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    35 million would be nothing to the seriously rich who live in this country. A year's income perhaps.

Of course it would make you happy. If it didn't you could always give it away.

I would try to keep quiet about it though. Would not want men chasing after my daughter to get their hands on it. You might think I am a cynic but my sister lost her husband in an accident and got a huge, well publicised payout from insurance. You should have seen how many men were suddenly madly in love with her.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure