Tax relief on Union fees

2»

Comments

• smp77
    smp77 Posts: 71 Forumite
    Sorry my error, it was my local tax office not pay office I contacted, but have not heard anything.
  • Hi,
    I have been sorting this, this week for myself. Telephone your union and ask them for a record of your fees paid for the past 6 years for tax rebate purposes. They will send you a letter outlining this. Then write to the tax office including your NI details and a copy of the union letter. You will then get a nice cheque in the post! Hope this helps. Must do it this months as you will lose a years claim if not completed by 31st March!
  • badmedic
    badmedic Posts: 7 Forumite
    Unison can but the POA can't I don't get it I really don't you don't have to be a member of either union for your work but one is on the list and one isn't.
  • 00ec25
    00ec25 Posts: 9,123 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    badmedic wrote: »
    Unison can but the POA can't I don't get it I really don't you don't have to be a member of either union for your work but one is on the list and one isn't.
    try reading the list properly, relief is available where it is for a learned body not because it's for a union

Unison is ONLY allowable for health care sector workers because "The activities of a body are directly relevant to an employment where the performance of the duties of that employment is directly affected by the knowledge concerned"

a dustman who is a member of Unison cannot get relief because their membership of Unison does not result in them getting extra knowledge from Unison, they only get employee rights support not learned support. In contrast Unison does act as a source of knowledge for healthcare workers.

the POA is simply a "union" concerned with workers rights, it does not undertake any learned body activity so is not on the list.

Other who are on the list have only part of the subscription allowed because there is a distinction made between employee rights support (union activity) and conveyance of technical knowledge (learned body activity) eg: only 67% of the University College Association (UCA) sub is allowed as the rest is "union" related so not allowed

simples
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport