Just moved house - chances of credit card with same bank?

Morning,
I have just moved house in the last couple of weeks.
Due to unforeseen job circumstances, I now need to purchase a car and I had hoped to apply for a 0% credit card to put a car purchase on.

Will it make any difference if I apply to my own bank for a card or is their credit check process likely to be unaffected by the fact I am an existing customer? I ran one of their pre-eligibility checks and they just stated 'sorry we can't find your details'. I assume this is because the CRA's have not updated my new address yet. I thought this did not sound hopeful.

I had thought about car leasing but assume they credit check so thought this would likely be a no no.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I got a card shortly after moving. I did check I was on the electoral register first and sometimes that can take a few weeks to be updated. The money club on here can help show which cards you might be eligible for.
    Do you have a working car? Do you really need to replace it now? My car is getting on so I plan to save up and pay cash. Alternatively there are many deals with garages where they do 0%. Could you get a deal like that then pay it off before the promotional period ends?
  • smala01
    smala01 Posts: 154 Forumite
    busy_dad wrote: »
    Morning,
    I have just moved house in the last couple of weeks.
    Due to unforeseen job circumstances, I now need to purchase a car and I had hoped to apply for a 0% credit card to put a car purchase on.

Will it make any difference if I apply to my own bank for a card or is their credit check process likely to be unaffected by the fact I am an existing customer? I ran one of their pre-eligibility checks and they just stated 'sorry we can't find your details'. I assume this is because the CRA's have not updated my new address yet. I thought this did not sound hopeful.

I had thought about car leasing but assume they credit check so thought this would likely be a no no.

Thanks in advance.

If you have updated your other bank accounts and credit cards with new addresses, the agencies are notified when the next statement is created. Provided this is done, and since when you apply for credit you have to give your last 3 years of address details, moving house (in itself) should have no material impact on your ability to get credit.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure