Cheap wedding abroad

Hi I'm not sure whether this is the right forum to post this on.

My partner and I are looking at getting married abroad in august 2019 we've found some lovely places in Cyprus but it's just so expensive to have your holiday there as we would like a 2 week all inclusive aswell as it will also be our family holiday that year

Has anyone recently got married abroad recently on a fairly low budget in school holidays we are open to other countries to get married in hope someone can help thanks

Comments

• mgdavid
    mgdavid Posts: 6,705 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Have you considered the complications of marrying abroad?
    Why not marry in this country and go abroad for the honeymoon / holiday the following day?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
  • Gloomendoom
    Gloomendoom Posts: 16,550 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Perhaps not quite abroad, but got married in Scotland once. It cost just over a 100 quid, plus a tenner each for the two old ladies that acted as witnesses.
  • My brother got married in Italy at the end of August or maybe 1st September (don't remember exactly, but it was 36C on his wedding day and there's me as witness standing in a suit :eek:) and they had their honeymoon there as well. They used a local company specializing in arranging weddings for people coming from overseas to do most of the prepartory work. They did have to fly out for a couple of days about six months before to go through everything in person, but it was effectively a mini-break (very off season, only one restaurant was open in the town).

Whole thing was way, way cheaper than an equivalent do in the UK. About 30 guests who all flew out too, some came from the US etc. and it was Italy, so absolutely lovely. In fact the week we spent out there was what started me learning Italian.

They didn't have to marry in the school holidays as they didn't have children at that point, I think the date was mostly chosen as many of their friends had children which they bought with them.
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • DCFC79
    DCFC79 Posts: 40,598 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    As mgdavid says get married here and then do the honeymoon after.
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Halz123 wrote: »
    Hi I'm not sure whether this is the right forum to post this on.

My partner and I are looking at getting married abroad in august 2019

Are you really your partner's mother...?

If not, then the main MRF or Weddings boards would be considerably more appropriate because here, its just plain disturbing.
  • issue I have is that getting married abroad may well be cheaper for the bride and groom but costs the guests a fortune. My sister was looking at getting married in mexico. Beautiful location etc however for me, my husband and two children to attend the wedding was going to cost us 5k.

She is now getting married in the uk and honeymooning in mexico. I would have gone to mexico (I would go to the moon to see her get married) but our grandma couldn't go that far and I think she realised that a lot of people she wanted there would not be able to come.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • pogofish wrote: »
    Are you really your partner's mother...?
    She may already have children with her partner, so be a mother....
    Proud member of the wokerati, though I don't eat tofu.Home is where my books are.Solar PV 5.2kWp system, SE facing, >1% shading, installed March 2019.Mortgage free July 2023
  • Halz123
    Halz123 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Of course I have considered the complications and I have a large family and would cost me a whole lot more if I got married in the uk and have to pay for the amount of people we are inviting and some of them might not turn up marrying abroad is not as complicated as you would think
  • Halz123
    Halz123 Posts: 6 Forumite
    How is it plain disturbing that I posted on the wrong thread your just plain rude
  • pogofish
    pogofish Posts: 10,852 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    She may already have children with her partner, so be a mother....

No maternal issue disclosed in the OP though...?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure