Draughty rockdoor

Options

Comments

• Andrea15
    Andrea15 Posts: 266 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    edited 8 November 2016 at 12:40PM
    Options
    Well, the coincidence is almost too good to be true... after A LOT of complaining to my fitter, the Rockdoor guy is coming TODAY to have a look at my door.

As things stand I HATE my Rockdoor. it is certainly better that my old door, but that was just a notch above a cardboard door, so no big feat.

To summarize, my issues are as follows:

1) Door draughty near where the handle is
    2) door draughty where the bottom hinge is
    3) door draughty underneath
    4) peep-hole gets moisture inside (changed once, but the problem came back just the other day. No idea what is causing it though as splashing water on it doesn't seem to make any difference. I even put it underwater... I think it is condensation due to the difference in temperature between inside and outside)
    5) The door is very difficult to close. It has to be FIRMLY pushed in order for the catch to engage (for want of better terms). My kids can't shut it, unless they lock it by turning the handle upwards.

Now, considering that mine is a TOP OF THE RANGE, A++(!!) rated door I think I have grounds to complain.
    Considering also that I have started complaining about a year ago just after I got it... No much of a service from either the installer or the manufacturer. They got their money and don't seem all that interested in fixing these issues.
  • Paul_Cunniffe
    Options
    Thanks - let me know how it goes. There is no brush on the hinges!! Why? For an A+ rated energy efficient door?? I have got someone from Rockdoor calling me today I hope. I have got condensation on my hinges which is now dripping onto the floor because of the difference in outside/inside temperature. What a joke!
  • Andrea15
    Options
    Hi Paul,

out of interest, how easy is it for you to close the door. Just to reiterate, to close, NOT lock the door by turning the handle up the way. :)

BTW, there are no brushes near the hinges OR the handle... The design is really odd.
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Andrea15 wrote: »
    Well, the coincidence is almost too good to be true... after A LOT of complaining to my fitter, the Rockdoor guy is coming TODAY to have a look at my door.

As things stand I HATE my Rockdoor. it is certainly better that my old door, but that was just a notch above a cardboard door, so no big feat.

To summarize, my issues are as follows:

1) Door draughty near where the handle is
    2) door draughty where the bottom hinge is
    3) door draughty underneath
    4) peep-hole gets moisture inside (changed once, but the problem came back just the other day. No idea what is causing it though as splashing water on it doesn't seem to make any difference. I even put it underwater... I think it is condensation due to the difference in temperature between inside and outside)
    5) The door is very difficult to close. It has to be FIRMLY pushed in order for the catch to engage (for want of better terms). My kids can't shut it, unless they lock it by turning the handle upwards.

Now, considering that mine is a TOP OF THE RANGE, A++(!!) rated door I think I have grounds to complain.
    Considering also that I have started complaining about a year ago just after I got it... No much of a service from either the installer or the manufacturer. They got their money and don't seem all that interested in fixing these issues.

I agree it sounds like condensation in the peephole, never noticed it on ours though. The drafts should certainly be solved by adjusting keeps and the compression.

Regarding difficulty closing it, do you mean the catch gets stuck on the strike plate or it's simply not clicking into the keep? It's possible the keep needs adjusting slightly. If the frame is fitted properly and the compression and keeps are correct it should close easily, with the catch clicking into place and the hooks should engage smoothly. With the hooks engaged the door should be pressed firmly against the gasket.

If your fitter is decent he should be able to fix all of these issues.

Do you always engage the hooks when you close the door?
  • TheCyclingProgrammer
    Options
    Hi Paul,

out of interest, how easy is it for you to close the door. Just to reiterate, to close, NOT lock the door by turning the handle up the way. :)

BTW, there are no brushes near the hinges OR the handle... The design is really odd.

We have two Door Stop composite doors. We've had endless problems with the front door, hopefully all resolved now. Our most recent problem was it jamming on the catch when shutting. The frame had bowed slightly in the middle so the catch was too close to the frame but impossible to adjust as moving the door laterally to compensate would mean the hooks would foul on the keeps. They had to remove some foam and put extra fixings in. That helped a bit but it was still intermittently getting stuck. In the end it turned out the catch just needed a bit of lubrication with a teflon lubricant, works fine now and the hooks engage perfectly.

Our back door, after a bit of a settling period, closes perfectly. You could close it with one finger. No drafts with the hooks engaged, as it should be.

If yours has been badly fitted and can't be adjusted, then you should insist they remove the frame and re-fit properly.
  • Paul_Cunniffe
    Options
    I can close the door no problem - locks easily. If I am being picky - there is a slight draught near the handle but not much. The main problem is around is around all three hinges.
  • Andrea15
    Options
    Ok, they've just been and they said the door is not straight (hence the draught) and the handle is badly fitted (hence the problems in closing the door ("click").
    They also said that the condensation in the peephole is probably due to the draught as well.
    Now they have to come back with the original installer (WHY????) and rectify the issues. But at least they didn't go like "it is all OK...".
  • Paul_Cunniffe
    Options
    Spoke to customer services at Rockdoor earlier they suggest checking if the air gap is 4mm all around the door and asking the fitter to adjust the hinges I will let you know what happens
  • Andrea15
    Options
    Update:
    after I don't know how many visits from various guys I am getting my door replaced. It turns out it is bowed in the middle. If you put a straight edge all the way along there is a gap of just over 1 cm near the hinge side and of about 15 mm at the handle side. No wonder it was difficult to close...
    What is most surprising is that NOBODY noticed (and people thought I was seeing things...) until door installer expert came along and the first thing he said was: "this door is warped!". The second was, "why didn't you get me here sooner?" to which I just shrugged... if he only knew how many times I had to phone and complain to get to that point.
    Anyway, the door should have been ordered today and there is just an outside chance it will get replaced before Christmas. Anyway, I will keep you posted.

Ah, the peep hole is getting condensation inside because nobody put silicone around it, it seems...
  • thebaldwindowfitter
    Options
    Ok, they've just been and they said the door is not straight (hence the draught) and the handle is badly fitted (hence the problems in closing the door ("click").
    They also said that the condensation in the peephole is probably due to the draught as well.
    Now they have to come back with the original installer (WHY????) and rectify the issues. But at least they didn't go like "it is all OK...".

This is usually to educate the installer i how to fit the door properly something that this door does not sound like this has happened
    if you think peoples advice is helpfull please take the time to clicking the thank you button it gives great satisfaction
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure