Good and Bad Buys from Aldi & Lidl *Do NOT Expire Please*

Comments

• VfM4meplse
    VfM4meplse Posts: 34,269
    Combo Breaker First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Forumite
    Doc_N wrote: »
    I'm beginning to think there ought to be some kind of intelligence test before voting papers are handed out!
    Those of us smart enough to shop at Aldi and Lidl require no such test ;)
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy :D...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...I love chaz-ing!
  • Cornucopia
    Cornucopia Posts: 16,139
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    edited 29 November 2016 at 7:33PM
    Sadly, though, the vast majority of those voting for Brexit aren't bright enough to understand the implications of voting the way they did.

They believed the lies about the £350m pw for the NHS (now accepted as a lie), all the other lies that were told, and all the other catchy little slogan-lies about 'regaining control' and 'getting our country back'.

I'm beginning to think there ought to be some kind of intelligence test before voting papers are handed out!

Aren't there enough Brexit threads on MSE already for this kind of hyperbole?
  • Doc_N wrote: »
    Sadly, though, the vast majority of those voting for Brexit aren't bright enough to understand the implications of voting the way they did.

They believed the lies about the £350m pw for the NHS (now accepted as a lie), all the other lies that were told, and all the other catchy little slogan-lies about 'regaining control' and 'getting our country back'.

Unbelievable. this is a thread about good and bad buys, not a chance to sneer at anyone who doesn't share your opinion.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • Doc_N
    Doc_N Posts: 8,266
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Unbelievable. this is a thread about good and bad buys, not a chance to sneer at anyone who doesn't share your opinion.

Actually, the discussion was around recent price increases in Aldi and Lidl (and elsewhere for that matter) because so much of our food has to be imported.

The large drop in the value of the pound directly caused by Brexit is now causing everyone, with a particularly hard impact on the so-called JAMs, to pay more for food.

It isn't sneering at people not sharing a particular opinion - it's reflecting all the research carried out into why people voted Brexit and their educational background. Not for nothing is it that the Daily Express is such a strong campaigner for Brexit.
  • Cornucopia
    Forumite
    Actually, the discussion was around recent price increases in Aldi and Lidl (and elsewhere for that matter) because so much of our food has to be imported.

The large drop in the value of the pound directly caused by Brexit is now causing everyone, with a particularly hard impact on the so-called JAMs, to pay more for food.

I'm not convinced that the prices in Aldi or Lidl are significantly up. What kind of figure should we be looking for in terms of the "large drop"?

I was in Aldi today, and I think the only price rise was on Pomegranate juice drink (from 55p to 59p). I can cope with 4p and that's the kind of rise that could be caused by literally anything.

Meanwhile, down at Morrisons, petrol is 109.5p/l. :)
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,846
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite

It isn't sneering at people not sharing a particular opinion - it's reflecting all the research carried out into why people voted Brexit and their educational background. Not for nothing is it that the Daily Express is such a strong campaigner for Brexit.

This isn't just offensive, inaccurate codswallop, it is offensive, inaccurate codswallop on the wrong board.
  • Doc_N wrote: »

The research shows that the majority of people who voted remain have a higher education standard than those who voted leave. What the figures also show is that more older people voted leave and they would not have been given the opportunity to obtain a higher education.

When I was at school in the 70s only the very select few went on to higher education, whereas now most young people are given the opportunity.

The prices may / will rise and the Remain camp will blame Brexit regardless of the reasons.
    You're only young once, but you can be immature forever :D
  • A._Badger
    A._Badger Posts: 5,846
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Forumite
    The research shows that the majority of people who voted remain have a higher education standard than those who voted leave. What the figures also show is that more older people voted leave and they would not have been given the opportunity to obtain a higher education.

When I was at school in the 70s only the very select few went on to higher education, whereas now most young people are given the opportunity.

The prices may / will rise and the Remain camp will blame Brexit regardless of the reasons.

And given the miserable educational standard of some of the applicants for jobs I see, notwithstanding their grade-inflated degrees in all manner of dubious disciplines, waving contemporary qualifications around as a token of anything at all is a very unwise ploy.
  • System
    System Posts: 178,076
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Community Admin
    Someone told me voting should only be applicable to those than can be called up for jury service ie 18-74 years olds.

If you removed the votes from over 75s, the result would been remain
  • Cornucopia
    Forumite
    Someone told me...

You want to be careful taking too much notice of people like that.

One person, one vote, has a beautiful simplicity and equality to it. Anyone who seeks to suggest changing it simply because they dislike one isolated result is, well, you know...
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure