PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Preparing for Winter V

Comments

• Cheapskate
    Cheapskate Posts: 1,757 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Ooh, good tips, Lyn, ta! :D

We have several small woods near us, too, and there are often fallen branches and loads of twigs, so will be spending most of the summer foraging for those as well as other stuff!

A x
    Jan 2021 GC £11.70/£300
    2021 mission declutter& clean 53/2021
    Jan NSD 7/31
  • A small but hopefully warm thing we've just done is to buy a couple of whole sheepskins with lovely thick, deep pile to go under our feet where we normally sit. I've had my toes snuggled deep inside mine all afternoon and it's toasty warm. I think in the depths of the colder weather they will add an extra layer of comfort to life! not cheap at £40 each but they are machine washable and will last us for many years so I think a worthwhile investment.
  • pinkypig
    pinkypig Posts: 1,814 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    I've just emptied my wooden coal bunker so I've given it a coat of stain and put some new roofing felt on the top to make sure it stays water tight and have ordered enough coal to fill it at summer prices. Thanks for the ideas. I wouldn't have thought about it in June normally!
    PP
    Original mortgage £112,000 . Final payment due August 2027.
    Mortgage neutral achieved August 2020 - 7 years early!!!
  • MarilynMonroe_2
    MarilynMonroe_2 Posts: 1,602 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    I used to love this thread, I was absent last winter, luckily we had a warm winter and should have prepared for Spring!
    Looking forward to reading back at all your ideas :)
    1,2 & 5p: Christmas day food £9.31
    10 & 20p: misc savings £2.70
    50p: Christmas presents £3.50
    £2: holidays £2.00
  • We're moving and consolidating the log pile with a view to building a better shelter than we have and ordering in a couple more lorry loads of logs in the near future. Lovely to have it in place and know that whatever else happens we'll be warm when the colder weather comes.
  • MarilynMonroe_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    * A month or so ago I bought a memory foam topper mattress, and a 'luxury' mattress topper (it was £20 for king size a good price I thought) in sort of a sheepskin.... I'm going to be toasty toasty in the winter. I'm red hot with it.
    * A couple of days ago I bought a thick lace bedspread throw over from charity shop, so going to keep an eye out for more bed throws, although I am on tamoxifen so that might be all I need this winter to keep me warm!
    *Since got my new mattress I've kept my cats out of my bedroom so this winter I don't need to leave the passage door open so going to be much warmer without front door breezes!
    *I'm currently knitting 2 ply blankets for the sitting room.

I need to start getting things for my daughters bedroom as she got a new duvet and its very thin.
  • Going to get the dehydrator down into the kitchen today and He Who Knows is bringing me back enough rhubarb from the allotment to cover all 9 trays and dry down lots for use next winter. I'm also going to bottle fruit we grow this year instead of always putting it into the freezer. Jam, jelly, chutney and pickles also are made regularly and give us a bit of variety in the colder months when fresh fruit is dearer to buy.
  • MarilynMonroe_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    ooh hot rhubarb crumble and custard :j
  • MarilynMonroe_2
    Combo Breaker First Post
    * Asda were selling scarves hats and gloves for £1 , so picked up 2 pack of gloves for £1, blue sparkly and pink which are fingerless
  • Oh the joy of being offered all the wood from a huge bay tree that one of my near neighbours is just taking down from her garden, she said she'd take off all the foliage and we can have all the trunks and branches, super stuff and the 2016 wood collection begins!!!
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback