NHS pension & retiring at 53

Options
I have worked as a Nurse in the NHS for 22 years. I am considering taking early retirement at 53 because of work related stress, work load, conditions, bullying, the list goes on. What I would like to know is can I do this and then find another job elsewhere and how many hours can I work. I don't want to stop work I just want out of the NHS. Thank you in advance for your advice.

Comments

• gwynlas
    gwynlas Posts: 1,709 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    Options
    Firstly you need to have your union on board. Would you be eligible to receive your pension and how much would it amount to?
    You could work elsewhere using your qualification but don't forget nursing homes etc can be extremely stressful with poor staffing levels.
    You can work elsewhere in the NHS eg in a clinic with less stress or eg as a phlebotomist but your salary and pension cannot amount to more than your current salary as I recall.
    Would it be less stressful if you reduced your hours and or grade in your current post?
  • Malthusian
    Malthusian Posts: 10,941 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Of course you can, you're not an indentured servant. You can give the notice specified in your contract and once you've completed your notice you can work for whomever you want however much you want.

Did you have a question about pensions? Your NHS pension will be deferred until normal retirement age. It may be possible to take it early with an actuarial penalty, but as you're planning on continuing to work, there is no reason you'd want to.
  • louloubelle79
    Options
    Eager to hear replys. In NHS at mo and don't think can face another 27 years until retirement. Came home in tears last night :( think depends what scheme you in etc, call HR or NHS pensions for answers x
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    futureself wrote: »
    I have worked as a Nurse in the NHS for 22 years. I am considering taking early retirement at 53 because of work related stress, work load, conditions, bullying, the list goes on. What I would like to know is can I do this and then find another job elsewhere and how many hours can I work. I don't want to stop work I just want out of the NHS. Thank you in advance for your advice.

If the answer was "no" that would mean you were a slave !! DiId no one else you know in the NHS never leave and take up a different job?

You can become an architect or a zoologist or anything in between and work for as little or as long as you like. You'll get your pension at whatever age its due. As per previous post i sugegst you go and see your union rep, and in the meantime consider taking time out for stress.
  • xylophone
    xylophone Posts: 44,417 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    https://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/sites/default/files/2017-03/ARER%20factsheet%20%2803.2017%29%20V7.pdf

Why draw the pension early?

Find a new job (which will almost certainly need to provide a pension scheme of its own) and draw your deferred NHS pension when there would be no reduction for early payment?

Have you obtained a state pension statement?

https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
  • crv1963
    crv1963 Posts: 1,372 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 20 October 2017 at 5:54PM
    Options
    Hi futureself,

The first course would be to check your Total Rewards Statement, that will give you total saved so far and current pension amount at retirement. Then as Louloubelle79 said check with NHS Pensions they have a website.

I'd check with HR and Trust Pension Officer if you have an opportunity to retire earlier than scheme rules and a forecast of the reduction in pension size that would cause. Different schemes have different ages for retirement, also within 1995 scheme there are "special classes" who can retire at 55.

You need to find out which scheme you are in, what amount you've accrued and when you can take it or if you need to leave it deferred until there is no penalties.

Another point not mentioned so far is- are you off work with work related stress and if so what have your manager or HR contacted you to plan what needs to be done to enable you to return to work? Or will they support your request for early retirement?

If you are not off ill have you raised your concerns/ fears/ the bullying through line management, trust whistleblowing policy, whistle blowing helpline or sought help through Trust Staff Counselling Service or contacted your Union?

Daunting but a possible route to working on your concerns as no one wants an unhappy workforce and your Trust may have even more guidance/ support ours also has a supportive Chaplaincy Service who although cannot get involved directly can support individuals with time, advise and pointing in the right direction.

I'd caution that although Nurses are in demand it may be that a change of employer may not be the solution as there are different stressors and pressures in every setting/ speciality.

The rules about pension and earnings are that you may not earn more by combining NHS Pension and NHS Salary after retiring than your total finishing wage prior to retirement, eg Band 6 35k pa, retires Pension 16k pa so can earn up to 19k via a new NHS job. The restriction does not apply if new post is with a none NHS employer or via an agency as the person is deemed to not be working directly for the public purse.

I do know of staff who have retired early, but they have either already accrued full pension entitlement through Mental Health Officer (Special Class 1995 scheme) and took an actuarial reduction in both annual pension and lump sum or were retired through ill health without accruing full pension entitlement.

Good Luck

CRV
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
  • morgan17
    Options
    It all depends on your pension scheme.If you are in the 1995 scheme you can retire any time after 50 but take a reduction due to claiming it longer.I know because I have done it.You can take any other job and can earn any amount without abatement.This is because you have taken a reduced pension.The nhs pension site is a good starting point and it has an online calculator.Hope that this is useful.
    Good luck for the future
    Carol
  • Flugelhorn
    Flugelhorn Posts: 5,579 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    crv1963 wrote: »

The rules about pension and earnings are that you may not earn more by combining NHS Pension and NHS Salary after retiring than your total finishing wage prior to retirement, eg Band 6 35k pa, retires Pension 16k pa so can earn up to 19k via a new NHS job. The restriction does not apply if new post is with a none NHS employer or via an agency as the person is deemed to not be working directly for the public purse.

CRV

Isn't this only if your early pension is not from voluntary early retirement ie when actuarially reduced eg your got protected rights at 55 and you are re-employed under 60.

I intend to get pension at 59, retire from one of my four jobs, and carry on with the others (subject to reduced hours in the first month - I understand that I there is then no limit to earnings on top of pension

or have I got this wrong? :eek:
  • morgan17
    Options
    Abatement, when you cannot earn more than your previous salary, only applies if you have a full pension.If you have an actuarial reduced pension there is no cap and no limit to what you can earn
  • futureself
    Options
    Hello, thanks to everyone for all your helpful info.
    Firstly I'm in the 1995 scheme and stayed with it. I've read that you can retire at 50 if needed but obviously the pension is greatly reduced. I would probably get about £400 a month roughly if taking now. The main problem is work. There are many issues going on at work at the moment and the ward has been put into 'special measures', even though there has been no official documentation about this. I have got the RCN involved about patient care and a drug error which I owned up to. However, I have been successful in obtaining another job in a private hospital but the NHS have dragged their heels in supplying references. My last manager has given me a good reference but my current manager has not yet sent off my reference and has now informed me that it would include the 'special measures' aspect which I think is unfair. I just want out now because the place has become toxic. So on the advice of the new employer I've handed my notice in but I've yet to receive a start date. Now I'm in limbo! Hence thinking about the retirement bit. (Sorry if its a bit confusing)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure