Options
2»

Comments

• Voyager2002
    Voyager2002 Posts: 15,286 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    orcocan wrote: »
    so i called BA again and they told me they always refund if you do not fly and that opodo was talking bs

so i called back opodo and they kept going on about tax not being refundable, then i kicked up a big fuss saying there was no good reason why they should be pocketing that money, after a fair bit of arguing she had to 'check with her manager' and suddenly the tax became refundable. They are applying a 25 quid charge so I'm getting 36 pounds back.

to all the people telling me not to bother, i know it's not a massive amount but i don't see why i should just leave the money with them without even trying! How long does it take you to earn 36 pounds in credit interest these days for instance? Not quite the MSE spirit....

Well done!

Personally I thought that your chances of success were slim, and it is certainly possible to spend enormous amounts of time and effort on this kind of thing. It is sensible to balance the effort involved with the amount of money at stake and the likelihood of getting it.
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Baffled by a £61 air passenger duty.
  • orcocan
    orcocan Posts: 271 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    return flight to brussels, if you try a new booking, you'll see you get a similar number, not sure what your comment means?
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Not all of the taxes are refundable. The refundable part is UK APD (£13) and what BA calls "Belgian Embarkation Tax" (approx. £25). From memory, BA charges £15 to refund taxes so if Opodo charges £25 on top of that you are due nothing.
  • orcocan
    Options
    They confirmed 36 pounds, I guess I'll find out

Also BA does not charge agents as far as I know.
  • jpsartre
    jpsartre Posts: 4,085 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    orcocan wrote: »
    They confirmed 36 pounds

That's because Opodo are useless. If BA waives the fee for agency bookings you should be due about £15. If you get back £36 you've done really well :)
  • orcocan
    Options
    Got the money today :-D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts