PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

April 2016 Grocery Challenge

Comments

• BrassicWoman
    BrassicWoman Posts: 3,202 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 28 March 2016 at 6:29PM
    I haven't done this for a long time! My freezer and cupboards are stuffed including plenty tinned fruit and frozen veg so let's have a daring £20 please!
    2021 GC £1365.71/ £2400
  • annab275
    annab275 Posts: 48 Forumite
    I am going to go lower than last month so put me down for £175 please - it took me all of March to realise I was overspending! even on bargains!
    must say NO to impulse buys!
    GC March Challenge £182/200
    GC April Challenge £232/£175
    GC May Challenge £170/£175
    GC June Challenge £175
  • milasavesmoney
    milasavesmoney Posts: 1,787 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 29 March 2016 at 6:24AM
    I looked at last month's grocery and TA tonight. It's better than the previous two months but still ridiculously high. I'm setting a goal of $450. for April. (Abt. £320)
    Overprepare, then go with the flow.
    [Regina Brett]
  • flipper_72
    flipper_72 Posts: 671 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I have made it into April, going to aim for £250 again even though the freezer is no longer stocked and I need a butchers shop so it will be very hard,

Previous months J 200/200, F 199.55/200, M 255.71/250
    Total 655.26/650
  • Mozzakate
    Mozzakate Posts: 43 Forumite
    edited 29 March 2016 at 1:56PM
    Hi everyone, I'd like to join again please. March has been a massive shambles for me, I no longer have a job due to illness so whilst I'm looking for supply work my budget from 31/3/16 - 28/4/16 is £100 for me and my 12 year old DD, although I need to get it way below that if I can. It will be a massive challenge but I really have no choice at the moment :o

Good luck everyone :beer:
    As of 5/4/16 :
    *Grocery Challenge 31st March - 27th April £53.36 NSD's 6/28 *RAGI2016: #34 £43.64/500
  • Islandmaid
    Islandmaid Posts: 6,504 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Hi all,

April is going to be a skint month for us so I am going to attempt £250. This will be for 4 adults.

We,ve had to order a new fridge freezer after ours died, this came the same week as DH,s birthday and 2 weeks before DS,s 18th - luckily I had been saving for the birthdays, but not the fridge freezer, so the bank account has taken a hammering :o

We have loads in stock, luckily it was the fridge part of the fridge freezer that died, and have lots of meat in the freezer.
    Note to self - STOP SPENDING MONEY !!

£300/£130
  • allie23
    allie23 Posts: 1,857 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Thanks for the new thread Zippy. Please put me down for £150 for April.

After doing really well in January I totally fell off the wagon in both Feb and March so back in this month with renewed motivation. To prevent my usual spending with gay abandon in the first couple of weeks and then scrimping until the end of the month I have set up my money so that I take half of it out in cash for the first half of the month and the rest is kept in a bank account to be taken out later in the month. This is the first time I have tried this so will see how it goes.

My month started on 25th March which is OHs payday so I have already done a couple of shops and spend £45.
    January GC 2024 £135/£180
    Frugal living Challenge 2024
  • DuranGirl
    DuranGirl Posts: 287 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Hellooo! Can I have a target budget of £240 this month, please? Making a tiny reduction on last month to see if I can do it, and include a student shop for DD. Thank you!
    3-6 month EF Challenge Member #19: £3590/£6000.[/B] Craft destash from 22.5.22: 46/200. Declutter from 22.5.22: 105/250 Car finance PAID OFF £7,848.88 IN 2019 (0% LOB)
  • Islandmaid wrote: »
    Hi all,

April is going to be a skint month for us so I am going to attempt £250. This will be for 4 adults.

We,ve had to order a new fridge freezer after ours died, this came the same week as DH,s birthday and 2 weeks before DS,s 18th - luckily I had been saving for the birthdays, but not the fridge freezer, so the bank account has taken a hammering :o

We have loads in stock, luckily it was the fridge part of the fridge freezer that died, and have lots of meat in the freezer.

Island Maid - I share your pain, in that we had to replace our fridge freezer last month, but in our case, it was our freezer that decided to not to work anymore.
  • Wysiwyg49
    Wysiwyg49 Posts: 210 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Aiming for £360 for April. Need a revised strategy as I seem to fail with the "big weekly shop" one! I think perhaps I am unrealistic about what we are REALLY going to eat and buy what we SHOULD eat - anyone else do that? Telltale signs: avocados (and other exotics) sit in the fridge for weeks / I regularly throw out mouldy oranges, strawberries, out-of-date greek yogurt / run out of bread, biscuits and orange squash...

Tried steak n chips last week to wean the kids off their staple chicken. (Expensive) fail - !!
    GC Feb 2019 (to 10th) £397.07/£300
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport