Paid off the £31,000! BUT - still scrimping!

Options

Comments

• Seasidegal58
    Options
    Thanks guys! :wave: The Orient Express is a wonderful experience bob - they certainly know how to treat their customers. First-class all the way!

Today we had a run out to Castle Howard to get DD and OH's Christmas tree. It looked lovely there. I bought some of their delicious salted caramel brownies at their shop for us to have with coffee. Apart from this, it was my only expense today.

DD got tickets for us and OH's DS2 to see "Fantastic Beasts" so we have just got back. Going to have remains of the tasty crab mac n'cheese for dinner and catch up with Strictly!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016 🌟
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017
    🌟
    RETIRED: MAY 2021!!!!😀🎆
    My diary: “Seasidegal's Scrimpy Retirement Diary!”
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Last day at DD's today. We are both going into town today to resume our trip which was cut short on Saturday due to the Xmas hordes! This afternoon will be dressing the Christmas tree and sorting out other deccies. :xmastree:

I'm also going to do a few jobs in the house for them as they're always, always short of time owing to their pressurised careers! The fridge will be calling.......
    🌟
  • AshleyBurf
    Options
    Congratulations!!!
    Love is the answer :j
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Is that congrats on cleaning out the fridge Ashley?:rotfl:
    🌟
  • Cheeseface
    Options
    Sounds like great weekend. I've read all of your thread and I have bought the 30 days book. I'm an old fly lady addict but the change will do me good.
  • Mysteek
    Mysteek Posts: 232 Forumite
    First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    OMG just read about your friends accident, how awful. I hope she recovers from her injuries and shock soon X

How lovely, the Orient Express! Think I must put that on my bucket list!

My children always had their own cards given them at Christmas, both from us and from their grandparents and their uncle (my brother). I buy my grandchildren their own cards too and my DGD has made me and her granddad a card each with lots of poms poms and glitter - priceless!
    MFIT #73 - Pay all mortgage off in 3 years[STRIKE] £46,400[/STRIKE]£34,295 PAID £12,105
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Hi Cheeseface! :wave: (love the name!). I'm more of the flylady type as well but it was a good experiment. Might do it every November in future.

Thanks Mysteek. I spoke to my friend last night. She is still staying at her daughter's which I think is a good idea. She is still feeling very shaky and can't countenance driving yet herself but it is all going to take time.

I think I am now obligated to nephew's Christmas cards! I of course will be asking him for my own as soon as he can write!:rotfl:

Yesterday DD and I finished our shopping trip. I bought lunch in a rather teeny tiny pub above a craft beer shop. It was very old worldly and reminded me of the village pub in the film "An American Werewolf in London ". If you've ever seen the film you will remember that it was called "The Slaughtered Lamb!" and everyone stops talking and looks at you when you walk in! This happened to us though there was only about ten people you could fit in there! Still I had a really nice Welsh rarebit and salad and DD was disappointed that the stew wasn't ready as she had heard good things about it.

Only spent on lunch yesterday but also got my eyebrows tinted and threaded ready for the festivities!

Im currently on the early morning train from DD's to Kings X and then straight into work:(

I'm getting a free breakfast/coffee on the train and DD has made me a sandwich for lunch so I'm finally all set for a NSD at last!
    🌟
  • crunch_time
    crunch_time Posts: 1,353 Forumite
    Options
    Just wondering - did you ever tell your dd about your debt?

I rememeber in your last diary it was very much kept behind the scenes.
    You can tell me to bug off for being nosy. Just wondering what people's reactions from friends/family have been if they knew and if it made a difference to their debt pay off in anyway.

Mwah!
    Crunchy xx
    19/8/19 vs now Current Total debt £14,188 Savings £2757
    Overdraft £1600 vs £1050
    HSBC1 £1900 vs £3868
    HSBC2 £4100 vs £3730
    Virgin 1 £3050 vs £2800
    House stuff and improvements £4460 Virgin 2 £2740
  • Seasidegal58
    Options
    Hi crunchy - yes I did tell her. It was earlier this year around springtime - after I had got my debt busting mojo back for the second time and cleared off roughly half of the £31,000. Of course she did exactly what I knew she would do - offer to pay it off for me! We had a heart to heart and I explained that I thought I could now tell her because I managed to pay down a goodly bit of it and I was on course to be debt free by the end of the year. As it was I paid it off in the summer owing to my options payment at work. When I first told her she was concerned and worried (the main reason I didn't want to tell her in the first place) but I said I felt I could confide in her now as I knew that I could manage it. I explained about YNAB and showed her my budget categories etc and this allayed her fears somewhat. She knows what I'm like with money! :D We have chats about money now from time to time and what my aims are so it's nice to finally have a confidant. :)

DD is very good at keeping confidences. However I have not told anyone else! I am close to my sis and love her to bits but with regard to confidential matters she would tell her OH and always has to tell at least one other person! I know quite a lot of her friends well and she would end up telling one of them then everyone would get to know. :rotfl:

Today ended up a NSD - about time too! :j
    🌟
  • Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Horray for NSDs!
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure