Am I missing anything...?

Comments

• stubbyd
    stubbyd Posts: 64 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    rather than thinking of it as a cost on the budget look at it as reduced income.

Small but significant mind set change.

To reduce the debt over the year you have less money to spend than you are bringing in because you already spent some of your future income yesterday.

Everytime you get a debt you are spending future money you don't have yet.

Absolutely understood.

Thanks.
  • stubbyd
    You mentioned a car, these need replacing, whats your plan for that if you are spending everything month to month now?

Anything else getting old that might need replacing in the next 5 years.

OK - in the outgoings I initially mentioned is already included regular savings. I should have said that.

For arguments sake let's say my CC bill is £500 monthly and I have access to another £500. In my proposed scenario I now have £975pm free (£500 CC pay off plus £500 spare minus £25 (estimated) for the monthly CC pay off) and the various required budgets (fuel, food, etc) taken into account from the "free" money.

The key difference is I pay my bills as they occur rather than a month later and the important aspect here is the remaining free (the £500 in the original scenario) is now much more closely monitored & budgeted rather than just being seen as frivolous spend money. And this is the key aspect to me... "the free money is monitored and budgeted". Looking back I can see that I left this key aspect out - so my apologies :)

Bottom line I guess is that it is all about regaining control of our finances.
  • sheramber
    sheramber Posts: 19,006 Forumite
    First Anniversary I've been Money Tipped! First Post Name Dropper
    According to your first post you spend all your money paying off the credit card bill each month.

So, if you spend the same amount and pay for these bills as they arise you are still spending the same amount each month so where does the extra come from to pay the credit card bill.

E'g. using your figures above monthly spend on credit card £500 and nothing left over.

Monthly spend paying direct will still be £500 so still nothing left over.

You will only have money to pay off the new credit card bill if you reduce the monthly spending by that amount.
  • stubbyd
    sheramber wrote: »
    According to your first post you spend all your money paying off the credit card bill each month.

So, if you spend the same amount and pay for these bills as they arise you are still spending the same amount each month so where does the extra come from to pay the credit card bill.

E'g. using your figures above monthly spend on credit card £500 and nothing left over.

Monthly spend paying direct will still be £500 so still nothing left over.

You will only have money to pay off the new credit card bill if you reduce the monthly spending by that amount.

Clearly I missed something in my first post.

But I thought my subsequent for example post cleared it up.

CC Bill = £500
    Cash in Bank after pay, etc taken into account = £1000

Pay off CC and still have £500 which goes on sundry non-regulated stuff.

Proposal:
    Payoff CC at £25pm (example guess figure) leaving £975
    Pay regular bills in cash leaving £475
    £475 to be carefully monitored and budgeted so as to not just let it drift through ones wallets.

Does that make it clearer?
  • molerat
    molerat Posts: 31,802 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 17 May 2017 at 4:40PM
    The light bulb moment comes when you realise you are in debt. Yes you are in debt if you are paying off last month's spending with this month's pay. The debt may not be large but it is still debt. Transferring to a 0% BT card will help you to pay down this debt but you need to realise how you got there in the first place and how to prevent it happening in the future - what is stopping you from transferring it out into easily manageable monthly payments and starting again with the old card ?

Set up a budgeting spreadsheet, I have one with many columns for 5 credit cards, 1 spending account, 1 budget account and 2 savings accounts - the last 4 columns in reality being one interest paying current account. At the bottom of the current column is the box that shows how much I have to spend for the remainder of the month taking into account what is actually in the account, what bills have to come out and what is owed on the cards. Quite simple to do.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    stubbyd wrote: »
    Clearly I missed something in my first post.

But I thought my subsequent for example post cleared it up.

CC Bill = £500
    Cash in Bank after pay, etc taken into account = £1000

Pay off CC and still have £500 which goes on sundry non-regulated stuff.

Proposal:
    Payoff CC at £25pm (example guess figure) leaving £975
    Pay regular bills in cash leaving £475
    £475 to be carefully monitored and budgeted so as to not just let it drift through ones wallets.

Does that make it clearer?
    Another, but basically the same, method would be to watch the spending on your card and reduce it by £25 each month. The end result would be the same.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    stubbyd wrote: »
    OK - in the outgoings I initially mentioned is already included regular savings. I should have said that.

For arguments sake let's say my CC bill is £500 monthly and I have access to another £500. In my proposed scenario I now have £975pm free (£500 CC pay off plus £500 spare minus £25 (estimated) for the monthly CC pay off) and the various required budgets (fuel, food, etc) taken into account from the "free" money.

The key difference is I pay my bills as they occur rather than a month later and the important aspect here is the remaining free (the £500 in the original scenario) is now much more closely monitored & budgeted rather than just being seen as frivolous spend money. And this is the key aspect to me... "the free money is monitored and budgeted". Looking back I can see that I left this key aspect out - so my apologies :)

Bottom line I guess is that it is all about regaining control of our finances.

Why borrow more money? just use your savings.

Currently any savings you have are through borrowing.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Why borrow more money? just use your savings.

Currently any savings you have are through borrowing.
    I must admit, I am absolutely awful at that. If I have, say, £4000 in the bank and a CC debt of £2000 on a low APR deal, I pay it off monthly and hang on to the money in the bank 'in case I need it'. Stupid, I know. :o
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • getmore4less
    I must admit, I am absolutely awful at that. If I have, say, £4000 in the bank and a CC debt of £2000 on a low APR deal, I pay it off monthly and hang on to the money in the bank 'in case I need it'. Stupid, I know. :o

Not to big a deal if it is zero or very low as you can get savings at least at that level to break even.

It's OK if your cash flow says you will need that money again soon and you could not get the borrowing at the same rate again but if you are on top of things a 0% purchase card should not be too big an issue to get.
  • getmore4less
    The reality is if you have £1k per month coming in and you spend £975 on stuff the CC bill goes down £25

Does not mater if it is cash or CC just track what you spend to your income.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.7K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure