fascia rothen...and hole

Options
fresa
fresa Posts: 21 Forumite
Hello,
I need URGENT advice, we are in the process of buying a house then I realise that the ceiling hast mould in the corner and a long ...is not massive but it there...then I check outside the window and I saw that the fascia have a hole and is rothen...how this can affect the house? they didnt want to tell us? how this can affect? the surveyor did not notice because they did a simple search, we truly need advice please :(
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156838836@N05/shares/J70e85

Comments

• elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,738 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    How far along the process are you? Have you exchanged contracts yet?
    If not, then get a quote for the repairs and depending on how much it is and decide whether it is worth renegotiating the price with the seller or not.
    You may want to wait for any other checks you are having carried out first before deciding what to do next. If the house is good value and is priced as it is, and the work is only minor, then it's probably not worth risking the house sale over if it's straightforward to sort it yourself once in. Get it checked out by a reputable builder to find out exactly what's going on then decide what (if anything) you're going to go back to the seller about.
    When you buy a house there are always going to be things that crop up that you weren't expecting. It's deciding what's worth renegotiating on and what isn't. And whether there is a pool of willing buyers for the seller to go back to if they don't want to play ball.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • fresa
    edited 20 July 2017 at 10:19AM
    Options
    I wish I can post the picture...the valuation came 20.000 lower of what we expected....we didnt exchange the contracts now I have this questions in my head...also I wonder if we negociate the price do we have to ask again for a mortgage?
  • SeduLOUs
    SeduLOUs Posts: 2,171 Forumite
    Options
    Get a proper survey done, not just a valuation?
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Are you still currently going to be paying £20k more than the valuation? That would concern me far more than this one thing ... except ...

...... if such a visible thing hasn't been fixed, what else is hidden that needs fixing ?
  • fresa
    edited 20 July 2017 at 10:34AM
    Options
    exactly we are very concern now...How can I post a picture here? well is not very visible I just decided to stick my head out of the window and I saw it....going thrue a mortgage is a pain in the neck ...should we need to ask again for a new mortgage with the new offer?
  • elsien
    Options
    If you have not had a proper survey done, then I'd suggest getting one done. As AnotherJoe says if there are any more potentially expensive surprises, you want to find them now, not when you are committed to buying.

If the house has been valued as 20K less than you have offered for it, your mortgage provider may well not lend you the full amount so you also need to be discussing the situation with them.

You can post pictures using a photohosting site such as tinypick or flikr. If you can't post as a new person, put up a broken link (with a gap in it) and someone can post the picture for you.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

• fresa
    edited 20 July 2017 at 10:51AM
    Options
  • FreeBear
    FreeBear Posts: 14,628 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    That hole is tucked away from direct rain and splashes from the guttering - So that is unlikely to be the source of the damp causing the mold.

As others have said, you need a proper, detailed survey - This may mean lifting carpets, floorboards, roof tiles, and other bits to see what damage has been done. Although, judging by the brickwork, this is a relatively new build (post 1960s), so there shouldn't be anything major.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
  • elsien
    Options
    Can you put a picture of the mould up? Just wondering whether it may be condensation related rather than due to the fabric of the building.

• WobblyDog
    WobblyDog Posts: 512 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    edited 20 July 2017 at 7:19PM
    Options
    I had a rotten fascia board like that due to a broken roof tile. That cost me about £10 to repair, but the rot hadn't got very far. Are you able to see what state the roof is in? I think someone needs to have a look inside the loft.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure