Edf want to replace my electricity meter

2»

Comments

• littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 20 July 2017 at 4:12PM
    ic Thank you for this that is exactly what my consumer unit looks like. So they just want to install a smart meter? What if it cannot communicate with EDF because I have no signal?

House Martin - if you read my post you would have seen that EDF came and tested my cellar and said it was not a suitable location for a smart meter.
  • littlerock
    Forumite
    edited 20 July 2017 at 5:32PM
    Just checked out the paperwork I have had from EDF:

Two weeks ago I got a standard pro-forma letter from EDF

"We're installing smart meters in (my postcode)
    Book your smart meter change now

"Dear Customer

(my account number and address)

"We're ready to install your smart meter. We are required by the government to provide a smart meter for all our customers and are now installing smart meters in your area."

It went on to tell me how I could book an appointment. No mention anywhere, of any 2020 deadline but giving the impression it is required now.

Then this week I got a "follow up" email from EDF which says

"Meter install now due.
    We urgently need to replace your meter. Your electricity meter is coming to the end of its lifespan. We need to access it to replace it. Register and book here.

Through a government-led national rollout we're installing smart meters in your area. Book yours today. Book install.

It's very important that we replace your meter. We need to access your current meter to replace it. Click on the link above to book a convenient time for your new meter install."

Now it could be that my meter is indeed due for a replacement because of its age or it could be because EDF need to replace it as part of its roll out of smart meters under the government programme and that is why it needs replacing. I think both letter and email are ambiguous.

Also I have gas central heating (gas via British Gas) and my gas meter is older than my electricity meter - it has been in place for over 25 years. It is on the wall outside in a box. To date I have had no communications AT ALL from British Gas saying they need to replace it. Do BG not have the same targets as EDF or is it just for electricity meters?

As a matter of interest, how long do electricity meters last? How often does everyone else gets theirs replaced?
  • SummerFun
    SummerFun Posts: 103 Forumite
    littlerock wrote: »

As a matter of interest, how long do electricity meters last? How often does everyone else gets theirs replaced?

It will depend on the exact type of meter you have, but it was around 20 yaers for the average old style one.
  • littlerock
    Forumite
    Still the new meter will not work as I have no signal there where the meter is, for it to transmit its data, so the benefits they are claiming from automatic meter reads will not work either.......
  • SummerFun
    SummerFun Posts: 103 Forumite
    littlerock wrote: »
    Still the new meter will not work as I have no signal there where the meter is, for it to transmit its data, so the benefits they are claiming from automatic meter reads will not work either.......

Your meter will work - see post#11

Whether or not anyone will see the benefit claimed relating to smart metering is a whole different debate. ;)
    The logic assumes people keep looking at their IHD.
    In practise, most people with a smart meter throw the IHD into a back of a drawer once the novelty wears off (which is typically within a matter of weeks if not sooner)
  • littlerock
    Forumite
    OK well the smart meter will work but not as a smart meter, as EDF have confirmed my cellar (where current meter is) is an unsuitable location because there is no signal there. So unless it really is past its official life cycle, there seems little point in replacing it.
  • littlerock wrote: »
    Just checked out the paperwork I have had from EDF:

Two weeks ago I got a standard pro-forma letter from EDF

"We're installing smart meters in (my postcode)
    Book your smart meter change now

"Dear Customer

(my account number and address)

"We're ready to install your smart meter. We are required by the government to provide a smart meter for all our customers and are now installing smart meters in your area."

It went on to tell me how I could book an appointment. No mention anywhere, of any 2020 deadline but giving the impression it is required now.

Then this week I got a "follow up" email from EDF which says

"Meter install now due.
    We urgently need to replace your meter. Your electricity meter is coming to the end of its lifespan. We need to access it to replace it. Register and book here.

Through a government-led national rollout we're installing smart meters in your area. Book yours today. Book install.

It's very important that we replace your meter. We need to access your current meter to replace it. Click on the link above to book a convenient time for your new meter install."

Now it could be that my meter is indeed due for a replacement because of its age or it could be because EDF need to replace it as part of its roll out of smart meters under the government programme and that is why it needs replacing. I think both letter and email are ambiguous.

Also I have gas central heating (gas via British Gas) and my gas meter is older than my electricity meter - it has been in place for over 25 years. It is on the wall outside in a box. To date I have had no communications AT ALL from British Gas saying they need to replace it. Do BG not have the same targets as EDF or is it just for electricity meters?

Regarding the Gas meter, British Gas cannot instal a Smart Gas meter in isolation as you would need a Electric Smart meter to be in place for a Gas one to work. Probably explains the silence from them. Switch your electricity to BG and I'm sure you'll get the Smart meter letters :)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure