Message from E Bay

I have received the following email supposedly from E bay, how can I tell if its genuine?
Hello
We have reason to believe that your eBay account has been used fraudulently without your permission. We’ve reset your eBay password. If you had your PayPal account linked to your eBay account, we've disabled your PayPal link to protect your funds. Any unauthorised activity, such as buying or selling, has been cancelled and any associated fees have been credited to your account. Any listings that we removed are included toward the end of this email. We assure you that your financial information is securely stored on a server and cannot be seen by anyone.

Although we’ve taken steps to secure your eBay account, your personal email account or third-party listing tools may have also been accessed without your permission. Please change these passwords as soon as possible.

Once you’ve secured your personal email account and third-party listing tools, please change your eBay password, and reset your PayPal link (if applicable):

1. Select the "Sign in" link at the top of the eBay home page.
2. Select the "Forgot your password" link.
3. Enter your email or username, and then select the "Next" button.
4. Follow the instructions to change your password.
5. To relink your PayPal account (if desired), go to "My eBay" and click the "Account" tab.
6. Click the "PayPal Account" link on the left-hand side of the page.
7. Click the "Link My PayPal Account" button.
8. Log into PayPal to finish linking your accounts.

If you are an active seller and use PayPal to pay your fees, it's important that you reset your PayPal link before your next billing cycle to avoid any further disruption.

Once your password is changed, we recommend updating your secret questions and verifying that the contact information on your eBay account is correct. For detailed instructions, please visit:
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/securing-account.html#secure

To learn more about keeping your eBay account secure, please visit:
http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/account/protecting-account.html

If you have any problems changing your password, please contact us:
http://ocsnext.ebay.co.uk/ocs/eua?domain=Onsite&query=1386&from=ForgotPassword

We appreciate your understanding and thank you for being part of our community.

Thanks,

Comments

• Le_Kirk
    Le_Kirk Posts: 22,081
    First Anniversary First Post Photogenic Name Dropper
    Forumite
    Well it is a lot of work to go to for a scam or an attempt at theft. Was the e-mail addressed to you by name (i.e. the name by which embay know you or was it a generic "Dear Customer" or "Dear eBay account holder" as that is normally a clue. Also somewhere in the e-mail it usually says "how to tell if this is a genuine e-mail" If you are concerned, try to log in using your normal methods (not through any links provided within the e-mail) and see if it works.
  • Chickabiddybex
    Chickabiddybex Posts: 1,346
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker Intrepid Forum Explorer Savvy Shopper!
    Forumite
    What email address did it come from?

If you want to see if it is legit log in to ebay (not through clicking any links - go direct to their website) and see if you have a message from them. If so it's likely real.

This can sometimes happen if you use a third party application to use ebay, like something that will bid for you. Have you used anything like this?

If not, change your ebay password and your email password just to be safe.
    Hi. I'm a Board Guide on the Gaming, Consumer Rights, Ebay and Praise/Vent boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to [email protected] (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
  • chrisw
    chrisw Posts: 3,381
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    It would appear to be genuine, I had a similar one when someone hacked my email password and then managed to reset my eBay password. They then listed a whole load of fitness trackers for sale.

Did it begin Hello (username)? That would be a good sign.

Also it doesn't appear to be getting you to click on a link to sign in. NEVER DO THIS.

Go to the eBay.co.uk website manually and try logging in. You can't do any harm that way other than change your password if necessary. However make sure your email is secure otherwise the hacker will have access to the reset email.

Once your happy your email is secure and the eBay account is also secure, check the PayPal links as necessary.
  • stator
    stator Posts: 7,441
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Going to eBay by manually typing in the address and trying to log in will tell you
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • RumRat
    RumRat Posts: 4,769
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    I would say it's genuine. The links are all ebay pages and they have asked for nothing from you.
    My ebay account was recently hacked and it took a while to sort it out. Someone was trying to buy high end tech using my account by sending messages to sellers and asking them to bypass the auction and deal via email.
    I now have a single use eBay pin sent to my phone every time I log in to my account. Worth setting up when you get it sorted.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • kwikbreaks
    kwikbreaks Posts: 9,187 Forumite
    It probably is genuine but just looking at the link text means nothing you need to hover the mose over it to see if it is still pointing at a genuine page. Be wary of long links too as there is/was some way ti have the first bit looking genuine but still going elsewhere - I can't remember just how though although doubtless google would.

Here is an example of a text link not really pointing where it seems to...

http://www.ebay.co.uk
  • RumRat
    Forumite
    kwikbreaks wrote: »
    It probably is genuine but just looking at the link text means nothing you need to hover the mose over it to see if it is still pointing at a genuine page. Be wary of long links too as there is/was some way ti have the first bit looking genuine but still going elsewhere - I can't remember just how though although doubtless google would.

Here is an example of a text link not really pointing where it seems to...

http://www.ebay.co.uk
    All the links posted point to the correct pages...
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
  • DoaM
    DoaM Posts: 11,863
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic
    Forumite
    RumRat wrote: »
    All the links posted point to the correct pages...

All the links in the OP point to the correct place. A cut-n-paste from the email into this forum will simply resolve the displayed text as the real link - it won't try and insert the real link behind. ;)
  • AndyPix
    AndyPix Posts: 4,847
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    Forumite
    Looks legit to me , but follow the good advice posted by users above ..

1. check if the email is addressed to you, by name
    2. Log into ebay through your normal method, and NOT by clicking one of those links
  • RumRat
    Forumite
    DoaM wrote: »
    All the links in the OP point to the correct place. A cut-n-paste from the email into this forum will simply resolve the displayed text as the real link - it won't try and insert the real link behind. ;)
    Good Point.
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business