Council Tax Rebanding SUCCESS stories

Comments

• lincroft1710
    lincroft1710 Posts: 17,640 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    DawnLJ wrote: »
    Hi

I've just received a notification of hearing for my council tax rebanding appeal. I have no idea if it's worth me attending or if i should do a written submission. Does anyone have any experience of this and could offer some advise? Thanks

When I was in the VOA taking CT appeals to Tribunal, any case where the taxpayer was not in attendance I would ask for the appeal to be dismissed, which always happened. I always won where there was a written submission.

Attendance is not compulsory but advisable if you want any chance of success. How strong is your case? If you have a weak case you would have little chance of succeeding anyway.
    If you are querying your Council Tax band would you please state whether you are in England, Scotland or Wales
  • I lived in the same property from 1995 until April this year, which was in Band B. I had long thought that this was a bit high, but i also thought that the process of challenging was too complicated for me. But early this year I read Martin's article on how to do it, and realised that I had nothing to lose from making an initial phone call, and possibly money to gain, so I called up in early March, and was phoned back the following day, and in the course of the discussion it became clear that my home was listed as a two bedroom flat when in it was only a one bedroom. They said someone might need to come out and view to verify this, but i had not got to do anything else but wait 6 weeks or so for their decision. In the end, nobody even came out, and the property was rebanded to band A. Thank you Martin, that part was really easy, like you said. However, actually getting the money i am owed back from the local council (Isle of Wight) has been far more stressful, and at this point I still haven't received it, although - fingers crossed - it should not be long now. The much-abridged story... the Council has finally worked out what i am owed for the periods in which i am eligible for a refund, has actually sent me paper proof of part of it, and has confirmed over the phone the total amount that i am due, i have filled in the forms requesting my refund and posted them off, and am now just waiting until the £2100 or so hits my bank account! Thank you very much Martin, I think this is the best financial news I have had in many years!
  • Nuneaton
    Band reduction from C to B
    Refund £3141.00
    Currently a saving of approx £180 per year.

Massive thanks to the MSE web site, I'm now sharing my success with friends & family of the potential saving they can make.
    Glad I done my homework first as I was questioned by the Valuation Office as to why I think I'm entitled to a reduction.
    Chuffed to bits 🙂
  • Moved in 4 years ago. Had a small extension built which triggered VOA into realising that the previous owners had done.

The evidence they provided for this was weak to say the least.

I built my case by looking at local properties similar to mine and used precedents from other recent cases. They came to look at the house and remeasured (their original size estimate was wrong).

Was actually looking forward to the tribunal when they backed down and moved it back from E to D.

Result.

About £200 refund due and £30 a month less to pay.

If anyone wants any advice, please feel free to contact me. I found that the VOA base virtually all of their evidence on size of properties, but actually, case history suggests that this is rarely the main driver of prices
  • ddks
    ddks Posts: 45 Forumite
    Moved in 4 years ago. Had a small extension built which triggered VOA into realising that the previous owners had done.

The evidence they provided for this was weak to say the least.

I built my case by looking at local properties similar to mine and used precedents from other recent cases. They came to look at the house and remeasured (their original size estimate was wrong).

Was actually looking forward to the tribunal when they backed down and moved it back from E to D.

Result.

About £200 refund due and £30 a month less to pay.

If anyone wants any advice, please feel free to contact me. I found that the VOA base virtually all of their evidence on size of properties, but actually, case history suggests that this is rarely the main driver of prices

Hi, well done, great result. Yes I've found they base their arguments on size alone and other factors need to be considered. My VTS case is being heard in the next 2 months, very much looking forward to it 😊
  • ddks wrote: »
    Hi, well done, great result. Yes I've found they base their arguments on size alone and other factors need to be considered. My VTS case is being heard in the next 2 months, very much looking forward to it 😊

I was looking forward to mine as I had so much evidence and was convinced I would win easily. Sadly, they agreed and conceded. Quite fancied my day in court.

If you have not done so, look at previous cases, there are loads when the homeowner wins based on being able to show that despite size, the area is less desirable etc.Very hard to argue against
  • ddks
    ddks Posts: 45 Forumite
    I was looking forward to mine as I had so much evidence and was convinced I would win easily. Sadly, they agreed and conceded. Quite fancied my day in court.

If you have not done so, look at previous cases, there are loads when the homeowner wins based on being able to show that despite size, the area is less desirable etc.Very hard to argue against

Mines in a few weeks and very much looking forward to it. I've based mine on previous VTS cases. There are more complex issues on mine, which make for a very good read!! :)
  • South Ribble Borough Council
    Band E to Band D
    Refund £6275.22
    Saving currently £369.14 per year

Using MSE guidelines I decided to ask the VOA to look at my banding. They were very helpful and promised to look at my case but said it may take up to 12 weeks to come to a decision. They actually took about 2 weeks and sent me a letter confirming I was paying too much. Their letter said my council would automatically refund the overpayment and reband my property. Another 2 weeks and my bank account showed the full rebate of £6275.22. I also received by post copies of my revised council tax bills dating back to 1993.
    So 4 weeks after starting the process everything was done and dusted and I am a bit richer too!
    Thank you MSE and the VOA for acting promptly. Also my local council for settling the rebate quickly. I would recommend anyone to look into their banding, if you follow the MSE guidelines what can you loose?
  • Croydon Council
    Band Before G
    Band After E
    2500 refunded
    We will be saving approx 600 per year.

The VOA did take about 2 months but it was well worth the wait. It was very easy, just sent an email to the VOA South, I used the wording as suggested on the MSE site.
    Thank you MSE, the initial savings will be used towards a holiday and then I don;t know what !!
  • Waverley Council
    Band E to D
    Refund £200
    Annual saving £400
    Thanks MSE! Followed the guide, both the neighbor check and nationwide value check suggested it was wrong. Filled in a form online and about 6 weeks later a letter confirming rebanding. Simple!
    Does anyone know if the previous occupant can claim retrospective refund. It's been backdated to 1993 but I've only just moved in - they were nice people and I don't see why they should pay more.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback