Not turning up to work again.....?

2»

Comments

• ohreally
    ohreally Posts: 7,525 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Is the situation beyond sitting down with your manager and simply asking for help to manage your working environment?
    Don’t be a can’t, be a can.
  • Don't do anything ridiculous - especially if you've been there any real time and moreso if the partner is connected.

You are best trying to think how do I explain this away, potentially, in a couple of years time, if a job comes up that I'd really want.

I'd soonest want to explain a dismissal any day over why I quit and walked out having been at xxxx so many months/years which I can't take of the CV.

(If it was days in to starting employment, my advice would be different.)
  • ViolaLass
    ViolaLass Posts: 5,764 Forumite
    I don't want to post a massive post detailing how I've ended up in this stage but I'm now at the point where I can barely sleep, I have a continual headache, I have developed IBS and nausea and I swear I can sometimes feel my heart working overtime as my blood boils. My personality has changed I feel I would probably qualify for antidepressants, I have no motivation and I think my girlfriend is becoming increasingly upset with my requests for her to shoot me or end my life somehow.

These are all things you NEED to say to your doctor.
  • theoretica
    theoretica Posts: 12,295 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    I also think you should have a talk with your doctor. Also consider it is possible that instead of just your job causing health problems the opposite could be happening. Something else (or just one of those things) could have caused health problems which are making it so hard for you to cope with the job you used to love.
    But a banker, engaged at enormous expense,
    Had the whole of their cash in his care.
    Lewis Carroll
  • shortcrust
    shortcrust Posts: 2,697 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary Newshound!
    Over the years I've quit two really 'good' jobs that were making me ill, but worked my notice for both and left on good terms. I didn't have other jobs lined up. I just wanted out and had enough savings not to worry about money for a while. Felt great at the time and I've no regrets.

Edit: Oh yes, and go to a doctor.
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,720 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    As an employer (although not the size of your employer), if someone felt bad enough to just leave their keys and not come back I would be a little peeved.

I would much prefer them to come and say they cant handle the pressures and they are leaving over the next few days and will not be working their notice. At that point I would probably try to sort out some sort of arrangement, ie they clear their workload/notify customers/suppliers etc. Basically remove as many off the stresses as possible but to not leave everyone else in the lurch.

I have left a couple of jobs and as soon as my notice went in, I went from hating the job to just counting down the days and getting a lot less work on my desk.

I would try to do it the right way and if it does not get easier then just tell them you are not coming back maybe?
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Fireflyaway
    Fireflyaway Posts: 2,766 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    I've felt like this a few times and also seriously contemplated walking out a few weeks back. I'm now glad I didn't because finding a replacement job has been harder than I thought. 7 interviews and still no luck! If I left back in Feb when it was really bad I'd be 4 months with no money. Hopefully you will find a job sooner than me. All I'm saying is think ahead because quitting might solve one issue but could cause multiple bad ones to arise ie a bad reference, financial issues and a knock to your confidence if you can't find work straight away.
    Take some time out. Book a week or 2 off to clear your head and if you think you are actually depressed, go and see your gp. Once you start working on your CV and applying for jobs you might feel better. I know I felt more empowered and in control.
    Try to remember that as bad as it seems now, this will pass. You will get out of there and feel happy again. This is just a temporary phase.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure