SOA - Please Offer Advice

2»

Comments

• Profligate
    Profligate Posts: 41 Forumite
    I am presuming his debts will die with him, £20,000 worth the only asset is their home, which I assume will pass over to her automatically.

I am going to approach StepChange this week. Ideally a debt advisor to her home would be good as she cannot go out unless someone can look after her husband. She's given me permission to deal with things for her

Hi Helping Hands,
    Thank you for giving some further details.

Good idea to get advice re the debt and assets (house) issue. I think Stepchange usually offer an online or telephone service, rather than homevisits. And of course, you can ask questions on here to a debt adviser from Stepchange.

National Debtline offer phone and email. I've linked to a National Debtline page about dealing with debts after someone passes away - you may find it useful to read.:
    https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/factsheets/Pages/dealing-with-debt-when-someone-dies/bereavement-and-debt.aspx?gclid=CO3gos3Ux9QCFaK_7QodKcIH7A

If your local Citizens Advice offers a Money Advice service (debt advice) , they may be able to offer a home visit, depending on their resources.

If she is looking for further night sitters, the local hospice may be able to offer them free of charge for a couple of nights a week.

Re the benefits - in the SOA you put DLA at £420pcm - is this then just 1 person's as both would receive pretty much twice that figure for DLA MRC / HRM (him) ;DLA HRC / LRM (her).*

As a pp said, ironing costs of £50pcm seem high and a questionable expense. Maybe the money that's allocated for clothing every month could buy some non- crease fabric clothes?

**Sorry, I 've just read through the whole thread again and I think I now get that the SOA is just for 1 person, with 1 person's income and expenditure. The reason I was confused was that the grocery costs are shared, aren't they? (not £500 each) and you put 2 people down in the household - so i thought the SOA was a combined budget.

Al the best to you all
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 19 June 2017 at 9:46AM
    Thanks for your advice. I am going to telephone StepChange this week. I need however to cancel the current DMP with another company. Do you know if there will be any problems with creditors if I do that.

Person is under a lot of stress at the moment and I really need to keep it as straight forward and easy as possible for her.

Hi again Helping_Hands

Most creditors are going to be pleased when someone changes from a fee charging DMP to a free one. That’s because they know they will be getting all of the monthly payment, rather than the DMP company keeping some of it for themselves. It also means the person in the DMP is going to pay their debt off quicker.

It’s a good idea to send creditors a letter asking them to hold action as there may be a short delay in payments while the DMP provider is changed. There is a sample letter you can use here https://www.nationaldebtline.org/EW/sampleletters/Pages/Ask-all-your-creditors-to-hold-action-whilst-you-move-your-debt-management-plan-(sole-name).aspx.

Even if this person cannot afford to change to a free DMP don't worry, it is still fine to cancel the existing DMP and look to change to a different debt option. No one should try and pay more than they can realistically afford. I hope it all goes well.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • patman99 wrote: »
    If the oxygen and bed are supplied by the hospital then you should get a cheque for the excess electricity they use.

My mum is on oxygen and every 6 months a person from BOC comes to check the oxygen machine and take the power used readings from it, then about a week later, she gets a payment to cover the running costs.

Get the person with the incontinence pads to ask their gp to do them a prescription for them.

About the oxygen, I didn't know that, will certainly look into it.
  • Hi again Helping_Hands

Most creditors are going to be pleased when someone changes from a fee charging DMP to a free one. That’s because they know they will be getting all of the monthly payment, rather than the DMP company keeping some of it for themselves. It also means the person in the DMP is going to pay their debt off quicker.

It’s a good idea to send creditors a letter asking them to hold action as there may be a short delay in payments while the DMP provider is changed. There is a sample letter you can use here *removed link*

Even if this person cannot afford to change to a free DMP don't worry, it is still fine to cancel the existing DMP and look to change to a different debt option. No one should try and pay more than they can realistically afford. I hope it all goes well.

Susie
    @natdebtline

Thank you for your help regarding my friend.

I am finding it difficult to break away from this DMP company for him (the man who is terminally ill). We wrote a fairly straight forward letter asking they cancel his DMP (signed by him) which has been on hold for a couple of months, but they phoned and said it would be better to keep his account on hold and they will write to his creditors to explain the situation. To be honest, I wanted to cancel his DMP and write to his creditors myself to inform them of the situation.

I suspect it might have to be another strong worded letter to them.
  • Profligate wrote: »
    [/B]

Hi Helping Hands,
    Thank you for giving some further details.

Good idea to get advice re the debt and assets (house) issue. I think Stepchange usually offer an online or telephone service, rather than homevisits. And of course, you can ask questions on here to a debt adviser from Stepchange.

National Debtline offer phone and email. I've linked to a National Debtline page about dealing with debts after someone passes away - you may find it useful to read.: *removed link*

If your local Citizens Advice offers a Money Advice service (debt advice) , they may be able to offer a home visit, depending on their resources.

If she is looking for further night sitters, the local hospice may be able to offer them free of charge for a couple of nights a week.

Re the benefits - in the SOA you put DLA at £420pcm - is this then just 1 person's as both would receive pretty much twice that figure for DLA MRC / HRM (him) ;DLA HRC / LRM (her).*

As a pp said, ironing costs of £50pcm seem high and a questionable expense. Maybe the money that's allocated for clothing every month could buy some non- crease fabric clothes?

**Sorry, I 've just read through the whole thread again and I think I now get that the SOA is just for 1 person, with 1 person's income and expenditure. The reason I was confused was that the grocery costs are shared, aren't they? (not £500 each) and you put 2 people down in the household - so i thought the SOA was a combined budget.

Al the best to you all

Yes the SOA is based on just her, but the grocery costs are for both. I've not taken in account his current benefits / income as it is covering other costs for him at the moment, such as bedding, clothes and he's helping out his only child with travel costs so she can visit and stay overnight as she lives 400 miles away.
  • National_Debtline
    National_Debtline Posts: 7,998 Organisation Representative
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thank you for your help regarding my friend.

I am finding it difficult to break away from this DMP company for him (the man who is terminally ill). We wrote a fairly straight forward letter asking they cancel his DMP (signed by him) which has been on hold for a couple of months, but they phoned and said it would be better to keep his account on hold and they will write to his creditors to explain the situation. To be honest, I wanted to cancel his DMP and write to his creditors myself to inform them of the situation.

I suspect it might have to be another strong worded letter to them.

Hi Helping_Hands

Certainly debts are not something that should be an issue for your friend at the moment. The debt management company has no rights or powers to stop the DMP being cancelled and I would advise you to make a complaint if they refuse to do so. I do agree putting the debts on hold at the moment is the best option. Most creditors will be very understanding if they know someone is terminally ill.

What happens to debts after someone passes away is more complicated when there is an estate, in this case a house. The link posted by Profligate will be very useful to read through but I would also advise contacting one of the free debt advice agencies for more detailed advice.

Susie
    @natdebtline
    We work as money advisers for National Debtline and have specific permission from MSE to post to try to help those in debt. Read more information on National Debtline in MSE's Debt Problems: What to do and where to get help guide. If you find you're struggling with debt and need further help try our online advice tool My Money Steps
  • Hi Helping_Hands

Certainly debts are not something that should be an issue for your friend at the moment. The debt management company has no rights or powers to stop the DMP being cancelled and I would advise you to make a complaint if they refuse to do so. I do agree putting the debts on hold at the moment is the best option. Most creditors will be very understanding if they know someone is terminally ill.

What happens to debts after someone passes away is more complicated when there is an estate, in this case a house. The link posted by Profligate will be very useful to read through but I would also advise contacting one of the free debt advice agencies for more detailed advice.

Susie
    @natdebtline

Thank you, I will be contacting the DMP company again by letter this week to ask them to cease the account of the man ill, then I can personally contact his creditors.
  • Hi Helping_Hands

I hope you don’t mind me replying to your post.

I read that you were planning on getting in touch with us this week but you’re looking to get help for your friends. It sounds like they’ve got a lot to deal with, so I’m glad they have you for support.

We’d be more than happy to speak with you directly, but we’d need permission from your friends first. You can either call us when you’re with your friends so they can give permission. Alternatively, they can complete and return a letter of authority before you call. This way they wouldn’t need to be with you when you call. A copy of this letter is available here on our website.

I’m sure you were planning to do this anyway, but when you get in touch I’d recommend you let the advisor know your friend has a terminal illness. We’ll be able to take this into consideration when we’re giving advice and we can make sure we’re giving you and your friends all the support you need.

I hope this helps and we look forward to talking to you soon.

Linsi
    Thanks for your advice. I am going to telephone StepChange this week. I need however to cancel the current DMP with another company. Do you know if there will be any problems with creditors if I do that.

Person is under a lot of stress at the moment and I really need to keep it as straight forward and easy as possible for her.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure